Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

Help!

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  justbreathe 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I have a few questions that I would like opinions/answers to, and reasons behind the answers if possible.
Right now, I cannot explain why I am asking but will explain after or if I receive any replies. Thanks!

In a distance of approx 200meters (from a standstill), could a ninja 300 wheelie and reach speeds of up to 87km/h (54m/h)?

Is it possible to change through gears while up on one wheel to reach a speed of 87km/h (54m/h)?

Would a stock standard bike be capable of this or would modifications be needed?

Could a ninja 300 even reach a speed of 87km/h (54m/h) in just 200meters (from a standstill?)

I will explain later.

Thanks again
Kellie

#4 ·
Hello,
I did not reply to the first response as I was hoping for more replies but I did "thank" the person who replied.

To the second response,,, nope, not me I don't even drive let alone ride a bike.

I asked because my son was in an accident a few months ago. He was on his way home from work when a little old lady failed to give way at an intersection (even when she had a giveway sign.)

ONE (just one) of the witnesses stated my son was on one wheel. (I'm not sure how many witnesses there were)
My son denies being on one wheel and said he has never even tried to get his 300 on one wheel. (he has owned the 300 less than one year and only rides to work and back, both trips in peak hour traffic)
This is his first fall off his 300 and the bike is standard.

Little old lady says she did not see him and of course people and police seem to think this is because he was on one wheel.

Police rang the other morning and told him they have him on CCTV doing 87km/h (54m/h) and asked if he wanted to recant his statement about NOT being on one wheel.
Son said NO, I was NOT on one wheel and if you have me on CCTV you would see that!

It seems to me that no one wants to lay blame on a little old lady who failed to give way and would rather blame the 22yo young man riding a motorcycle.

The speeds I posted were provided to us by the policewoman (over the phone) and the distance was measured from the traffic lights my son was stopped at to the scene of the accident.

FYI,,,at the time of the accident the old lady did not give a crap and just kept saying it was not her fault. When the first officer on scene told her she would have to accompany him to the hospital for drug/alcohol tests she refused and said she could not be charged with anything as she did not see my son so it was NOT her fault. THAT officer informed her she probably would be fined and could be charged with failing to give way causing serious bodily injury.

NOW, the excuse they are trying to use is my son was doing 87km/h on one wheel, making him invisible to the little old lady.

IN fact it doesn't matter as my son has insurance to cover him and his bike. He just doesn't like being blamed for something he did not do.
SO! I thought I would ask here to see what the opinions were on the speed and distance - on one wheel- were.

Thanks all

#5 ·
I have seen many and I do mean many bikers doing wheelies, both on public streets and on race tracks. And I will never forget watching the racers at Daytona during bike week come out of the pits, go thru a couple of gears and then do a wheelie. Every year during " AMERICADE " when get an influx of 50,000 bikers for one week. And we do see so many of these bikers riding stupidly. While on the other hand tensions are growing higher with vehicle drivers putting up with the stupid riding bikers. We have signs all over the place stating " Watch Out For Bikers ".
Well, I am a biker and I do have to admit that I am getting awful tired of watching out for stupid riding bikers. Had 5 of these bikers pull in front of me one day. I had to slam on the brakes to avoid piling into them. YES, I stopped and an accident did not happen. BUT, they could have stopped for the STOP SIGN and also avoided nearly creating a major accident.

One point that I am making here and in my lowly opinion is that when a biker is doing a wheelie, they are painting an even LARGER PICTURE of them selves to traffic around them. They are standing much higher than just the average biker leaning over the gas tank, holding on the the handle bars. Thus, they should be seen by other drivers. If and I do mean if he was doing a wheelie and not more than one person seen him, then many other drivers including the elderly one involved in the accident should have an eye exam :excl:

I take a Defensive Driving Course every three years as I am older than dirt and a couple of times I have come close to making a few mistakes while driving. Nothing to cause an accident / damage or harm to anybody. Just something on my part that I knew was not right.

It is not all, but I have observed so many elderly people almost causing accidents just because they are oblivious to their surroundings. And the ones that really get me are the ones with the HANDICAP TAG hanging on their rear view mirrors. So many times I have observed these people driving like their only handicap is mental one.

In our state, which is New York state, if a law officer says that you must be tested for drugs and alcohol and you refuse, that is a automatic loss of license. I feel that if a person has nothing to hide then they would gladly have the drug and alcohol tests done, just to have them on record. I know that I would. I myself was stopped at a ALCOHOL CHECK POINT about a year ago, driving my then Fiat Spider. The officer asked me if I had anything to drink that evening. I stated that YES I had officer. I had a Diet Pepsi with Ice about one hour ago. He just laughed, said I like your car and have a safe trip home.

I perhaps am harping on Senior Drivers here, but then again I have heard and seen so many young drivers / riders say ...... Ohhhhhhhhhhh I did not do that ! While I definitely know otherwise. I add that I have seen so many of today's youth driving like their is no tomorrow. And for many with their terrible driving habits, their will be NO tomorrow. I personally do not care if they take themselves out, I only care if they also take out another innocent individual.

Their are two sides to every story. Trouble is finding the truthful one. :shrug.001:

The elderly lady may be at fault. But then again the young man may not want to admit to his parents how he is actually riding his bike.

Time will tell and eventually the real truth will emerge. :wink2:

#6 ·
I will say that it takes some skill to wheelie a bike with as little power as a ninja 300. It's not just as simple as twisting the throttle.
This also means it takes even more practice and skill to carry such a wheelie up to highway speeds. It's probably possible to do though.
As far as being less visible when doing a wheelie, that would probably depend on a lot factors such as viewing angle, time of day, color of bike, who is looking, etc. I'd imagine it could go either way.
Was 54 mph speeding?

#7 ·
I actually very much doubt a wheelie on a Ninja 300 is possible within 200m at 87km/h.
I've watched a few YouTube videos way back when, and the 300 is not particularly easy to do a wheelie on. Nonetheless, it can been done, but IIRC all the videos I watched were at CONSIDERABLY slower speed than 87km/h. I don't think the bike has enough power and stability to achieve that. The wheelies are done at a very low gear.

Your argument is sound, IMO: it didn't happen because it's [almost] impossible to achieve, technically.

IF YOUR SON did a 87km/h wheelie with the Ninja 300 the troubles with the old duck will be NOTHING compared to the fame & fortune he can achieve from posting such video-evidence on social media!!!

#8 ·
Sorry to hear of your son's accident. Hope he was not seriously injured. His accident is very typical. There are MANY stories of the cage driver 'not seeing' the motorcycle. Even when the rider will swear that they were looking directly into the driver's eyes the whole time preceding the collision. One issue is that most car drivers do so unconsciously. They do not drive with their conscious brain actively engaged, while talking on the phone or putting on makeup. The unconscious brain does not mentally recognize a rider as a 'threat' and so the visual does not transfer into the conscious mind as anything being there. Their brain registers this as a cyclist, as in bicycle with a small silhouette or cross sectional outline. A slow moving bicycle that poses no hazard to a car. If you see a large truck directly in front of you, everyone will instinctively hit the brakes. There are statistically fewer accidents with Large bikes like a Goldwing, but there could also be some additional factors there. Something as small as the Ninja (or most sport bikes) are practically invisible to most drivers. There was something called the Hurt Report that studied bike accidents. Hurt was the name of the researcher. I doubt that the 300 has enough power to pop a wheelie very easily. That should not even be an factor in this case. A wheelie would present a much larger silhouette and would easily register in the brain as something extraordinary, not invisible. Just ignorance trying to blame the bike rider for everything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.