Florida Insurance cost going up? - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Florida Insurance cost going up?

My policy renewal came with an almost 80% increase. I called the agent and he told me that the rates for collision and comprehensive raised in Florida.

Anyone in Florida experiencing the same? Or the agent is just ripping me out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 05:34 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
My policy renewal came with an almost 80% increase. I called the agent and he told me that the rates for collision and comprehensive raised in Florida.

Anyone in Florida experiencing the same? Or the agent is just ripping me out?

Personally, I think the agent is ripping you off .

I just paid $180.00 total, for the insurance on both my Ninja 300 and Yamaha V-Star 950 . And that is for a full year and not six months, like a lot of insurance companies are now doing.

I would tell your agent to stuff it And I would find another company.

Years ago I was with " Liberty Mutual " and had been for maybe 25 years. They sent me a bill for my Gold Wing which amounted to $300.00 . I did some checking around and found the same insurance with other companies for less than half. When I questioned Liberty Mutual as to their price ? They stated that they did not like to insure motorcycles and was only doing it as a favor for a long time customer. DOUBLE everybody else's prices was a favor, was my reply. Needless to say, I changed companies.

Do some shopping and I bet you change companies.

Myself and many other folks I know are now insured by PROGRESSIVE and we are happy.

P.S. Forgot to mention that I am in New York state. I doubt that their is any state in this country that is more expensive than here.
Topaz likes this.

MAY YOU LIVE AS LONG AS YOU WANT TO
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

AND WANT TO AS LONG AS YOU LIVE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Granpooba; 04-09-2019 at 11:53 PM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granpooba View Post
Personally, I think the agent is ripping you off .

I just paid $180.00 total, for the insurance on both my Ninja 300 and Yamaha V-Star 950 . And that is for a full year and not six months, like a lot of insurance companies are now doing.

I would tell your agent to stuff it And I would find another company.

Years ago I was with " Liberty Mutual " and had been for maybe 25 years. They sent me a bill for my Gold Wing which amounted to $300.00 . I did some checking around and found the same insurance with other companies for less than half. When I questioned Liberty Mutual as to their price ? They stated that they did not like to insure motorcycles and was only doing it as a favor for a long time customer. DOUBLE everybody else's prices was a favor, was my reply. Needless to say, I changed companies.

Do some shopping and I bet you change companies.

Myself and many other folks I know are now insured by PROGRESSIVE and we are happy.

P.S. Forgot to mention that I am in New York state. I doubt that their is any state in this country that is more expensive than here.
You Americans make me sick with your low insurance rates

Currently in my province insurance is going nuts... Many people are having to sell their supersport and large displacement bikes as most insurers are either dropping people all together or astronomically increasing premiums.

I'm a perfect example...because I don't have my full M license for 6 years, my insurer notified me that not only would they not insure my new over 750cc bike, they were not renewing my policy on the 300 because of "lack of experience".

It's ok because my new insurance is actually cheaper on the ninja by about 10%, but both bikes are costing me just under 1900 for the year. And that's considered "not bad" for my specific situation. Another company quoted me 4200 for the same coverage, and the others I spoke with were in the 2700 to 3800 range for both bikes.

They've dropped everyone with less than 6 years regardless of what they ride. To get insurance on a 1000cc supersport you need minimum 10 years with zero tickets or claims, even then its in the thousands for one bike.

So yeah, I would gladly pay 300 per bike...I would probably have quite a few more bikes, too at that rate.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS View Post

Currently in my province insurance is going nuts... Many people are having to sell their supersport and large displacement bikes as most insurers are either dropping people all together or astronomically increasing premiums.

I'm a perfect example...because I don't have my full M license for 6 years, my insurer notified me that not only would they not insure my new over 750cc bike, they were not renewing my policy on the 300 because of "lack of experience".

It's ok because my new insurance is actually cheaper on the ninja by about 10%, but both bikes are costing me just under 1900 for the year. And that's considered "not bad" for my specific situation. Another company quoted me 4200 for the same coverage, and the others I spoke with were in the 2700 to 3800 range for both bikes.

They've dropped everyone with less than 6 years regardless of what they ride. To get insurance on a 1000cc supersport you need minimum 10 years with zero tickets or claims, even then its in the thousands for one bike.

So yeah, I would gladly pay 300 per bike...I would probably have quite a few more bikes, too at that rate.

LOL So true! Where are you?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 05:20 PM

Quote:
LOL So true! Where are you?
Aurora, ON...moving to Bolton, ON in a few months. You?

Edit, duh moment, just realized you are the op and are in Florida, thought you were here and agreeing with me . I'm in Ontario, Canada

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Aurora, ON...moving to Bolton, ON in a few months. You?

Edit, duh moment, just realized you are the op and are in Florida, thought you were here and agreeing with me . I'm in Ontario, Canada

I'm in South Florida. Insurance is actually optional in Florida. I only have liability coverage. My 2013 N300 with 13k miles must be worth 2500 USD now and I usually don't park it in public places for long periods of time, so I'm not afraid of it being stolen.
And if I wreck it, I'll part out whatever is left.

I was paying $60, yes sixty, for a year of liability coverage. And it went to an outraging $110. LOL. So I was upset!!! haha.
I'm actually cool about that. I was just curious if the agent is ripping me off or if every company is raising the rates. I guess I will get a couple of quotes on line and see.

I had heard before that some companies don't want riders. I've read on line that Geico will bye bye you if they know you track the bike, but don't know for sure.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 07:57 PM

Quote:
I'm in South Florida. Insurance is actually optional in Florida. I only have liability coverage. My 2013 N300 with 13k miles must be worth 2500 USD now and I usually don't park it in public places for long periods of time, so I'm not afraid of it being stolen.

And if I wreck it, I'll part out whatever is left.

I was paying $60, yes sixty, for a year of liability coverage. And it went to an outraging $110. LOL. So I was upset!!! haha.

I'm actually cool about that. I was just curious if the agent is ripping me off or if every company is raising the rates. I guess I will get a couple of quotes on line and see.

I had heard before that some companies don't want riders. I've read on line that Geico will bye bye you if they know you track the bike, but don't know for sure.

Insurance is mandatory here. And they're not very nice about it...realistically you can only ride 5-6 months per year because of the weather. They got wise years ago to people cancelling coverage in the winter and then made it a minimum 12 month policy with heavy penalties if you cancel.

I tried to see about having liability only on the ninja for same reason as you. My 2015 on a good day is worth about 3500 to 4000 cdn, but some insurers with flat out tell you no, you must have full coverage. One quoted me just liability and it was more than full coverage. Makes sense, doesn't it?

Ontario...the land of free health care and legal marijuana, but insurance cost sucks lol.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 12:12 AM
Veteran

Quote:

Sorry that us Americans are making you sick. But actually it is not us Americans, it is actually your own government

But, my feelings do go out to you folks. My Son lives in Quebec , owns a trucking company and just purchased a new Harley touring bike. He almost fainted when I showed him my registration costs and my insurance bill. He just could not believe how inexpensive it was for us in the USA to own and insure a motorcycle, compared to what the costs are in Canada.

I have an idea and why don't we make a deal I will pay your insurance bill, if you agree to take our President. Now, how is that for a great deal, huh

Last edited by Granpooba; 04-11-2019 at 12:17 AM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 12:28 AM
Veteran

Hate to also bring up this subject, but I have been told that even the registration costs are ridiculous in Canada.

Yearly registration here in New York state is about $16.50 for the year. But I have a personal license plate, thus my yearly registration is $35.00 .

My Son has stated that even registration costs in Canada are much higher compared to ours in the USA.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granpooba View Post
Sorry that us Americans are making you sick. But actually it is not us Americans, it is actually your own government

But, my feelings do go out to you folks. My Son lives in Quebec , owns a trucking company and just purchased a new Harley touring bike. He almost fainted when I showed him my registration costs and my insurance bill. He just could not believe how inexpensive it was for us in the USA to own and insure a motorcycle, compared to what the costs are in Canada.

I have an idea and why don't we make a deal I will pay your insurance bill, if you agree to take our President. Now, how is that for a great deal, huh
Lmao...although I am a fan of President Trump and his antics, I haven't been so entertained by a politician since we had a Mayor by the name of Mel Lastman, I think I'll pass on the offer. Unless you will take our idiot Prime Minister as well?

Registration is expensive as well, I think it's at about $10 per month now? That's regardless of what plate you have, custom or not. Seems to increase every year. Regular plates I think are about $60 one time charge, custom plates are about $300...same for cars (front and rear plate in Ontario) as it is for one plate on a bike. Rip off for bikes, yes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page