My first bike! 2014 Ninja Maintenance? Oil chain cleaner and lube which to use? Type - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jkv45

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 05:57 AM Thread Starter

My first bike! 2014 Ninja Maintenance? Oil chain cleaner and lube which to use? Type

Hello just got my first bike a week ago! I love the 2014 Ninja 300. It has 4900 miles on it I believe. I’m the third owner. Anyways i want to take care of it properly. I already gave it a wash. Now I need to get an oil change and clean the chain then lube it. I don’t know if the previous owner took care of it. The chain looks kinda dirty I’ll take a picture of it in morning! What kind of cleaner and lube do I need to buy? Please help so I can buy it soon. Also what kind of oil do you guys recommend? I want to be sure I’m buying the right oil. Thank you!
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 09:22 AM

Garage
To clean I use mineral spirits. A big can at Home Depot is cheap and works great. I put it in a spray bottle. A bike chain brush to scrub is essential. To lube I use Dupont Chain Saver Wax / Teflon. The advantage is it stays pretty clean and doesn't get grimey and fling like oil based lubes. The disadvantages are it's not ideal for wet conditions and you should clean / re-apply every 300 miles or so. I have a garage so I don't worry about exposure to the elements.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 11:22 AM
Veteran

I like to use kerosene in a spray bottle and a brush to remove grime from the chain, then wipe it clean and let it dry.

For chain lube, I have used the DuPont stuff, but I believe they have recently changed it and it's not as good as it was - but check. I'm using Maxima Chain Lube now, and it's fine. There are many good choices, and tons of review out there if you want to find "the best".

Here's a good video on another important maintenance item - chain adjustment -

It's important to get it right.

For oil, the old stand by, and a solid choice, is Shell Rotella T6 5W-40. It's available everywhere in gallon bottles for a reasonable price. It's technically a diesel oil, but is safe for cycle engines - unlike regular auto oil which should not be used.

I use WIX/NAPA oil filters from the local NAPA store. High quality, reasonably priced, and most are U.S. made.
MAL likes this.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 06:18 PM
Forum Champion

Garage
All we use on our bikes is Maxima Chain Wax - that stuff is great and I don't have to lube the chain nearly as often. For me, a good day riding is usually between 280 - 320 miles; if I used oil based lube, I'd have to do it every time I rode. To clean the chain, I use the Maxima Clean-Up and a grunge brush.

It's a girl on a bike...it's Rogue!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Twitter: @Rogue_300
Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Instagram: Rogue_300

Do you rock it?

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 07:14 AM
MAL
Veteran

FortNine (popular Youtuber) posted two videos recently where he purports to "test" various Chain Cleaner and Chain Lube.
The testing methods in the videos (Chain Cleaner especially) are extremely dubious in places, and I don't recommend the Chain Cleaner video, as the "winner" is basically not available in most geographical areas, and he dismisses other, decent solutions at the end because they failed one of his flawed "tests".
There is SOME valuable info in the video though, so I'll post it here also.

So, for Chain Cleaner: don't follow FortNine's advice:

Chain Lube: here's the video from FortNine (summary: he recommends Gear Oil):

Last edited by MAL; 06-25-2019 at 07:20 AM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
I like to use kerosene in a spray bottle and a brush to remove grime from the chain, then wipe it clean and let it dry.

For chain lube, I have used the DuPont stuff, but I believe they have recently changed it and it's not as good as it was - but check. I'm using Maxima Chain Lube now, and it's fine. There are many good choices, and tons of review out there if you want to find "the best".

Here's a good video on another important maintenance item - chain adjustment -

It's important to get it right.

For oil, the old stand by, and a solid choice, is Shell Rotella T6 5W-40. It's available everywhere in gallon bottles for a reasonable price. It's technically a diesel oil, but is safe for cycle engines - unlike regular auto oil which should not be used.

I use WIX/NAPA oil filters from the local NAPA store. High quality, reasonably priced, and most are U.S. made.
Thanks I did watch the video. Chain adjustment seems really hard to do by myself. My motorcycle has 4900 miles do you think it needs a chain adjustment? Also I just bought some mobil 1 4t racing 10w40 synthetic oil. That should be good I hope
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 09:17 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neekmill View Post
Thanks I did watch the video. Chain adjustment seems really hard to do by myself. My motorcycle has 4900 miles do you think it needs a chain adjustment? Also I just bought some mobil 1 4t racing 10w40 synthetic oil. That should be good I hope
Most likely. It's something you should check regularly and adjust as needed.

You need to get the rear wheel off the ground and spin it to find the tightest spot, then check the slack there. It will probably need adjusting. See if you can find a helper.

That's the oil I use - so you are good to go IMO!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 09:20 PM
Veteran

delete

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page