Sitting bike for 2 years - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Granpooba
  • 1 Post By TwistedGray
  • 1 Post By Granpooba

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Sitting bike for 2 years

So like a fool, I never kept proper maintenance of my bike after I got it. I was pretty busy with life so never it rode it last summer (haven't even hit 300 miles yet). I got a new battery because I was having some issues back then but I think the fact it sat again and using a charger at high amp settings might have rendered it useless (now I know to strictly use the trickle option).

I managed to charge the battery and it turned on a few days ago. I let it run for 30min and turned it off. The battery died completely between then and now. I tried charging it again but it just keeps clicking now.

So I ordered a new battery from amazon. I also bought an oil filter, oil (part synthetic), oil wrench and gas siphon tool. I have some loctite (threadlocker) and am planning on getting a torque wrench too. I'm not getting another washer and bolt (I see some DIY recommend it) since it may fall in the oil pan. I have some lubricant for the chains that I will apply as well.

Assuming everything is good and the bike turns on again, I plan on riding it around this summer until I hit 600 miles. At that point I will take it to the dealer for the first service. As expensive as it is, I figure it may be worth it in my situation as they will do a thorough check.

My question is if I should change anything else or lubricate anything (assuming it isn't too difficult). I'm worried about the spark plugs that have been sitting and maybe other parts that I don't know about. I'm not sure if I should change the coolant either. Or should I immediately take it to be serviced once I get it turned on despite still being in the break-in period?
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 09:28 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by npdabest View Post
So like a fool, I never kept proper maintenance of my bike after I got it. I was pretty busy with life so never it rode it last summer (haven't even hit 300 miles yet). I got a new battery because I was having some issues back then but I think the fact it sat again and using a charger at high amp settings might have rendered it useless (now I know to strictly use the trickle option).

I managed to charge the battery and it turned on a few days ago. I let it run for 30min and turned it off. The battery died completely between then and now. I tried charging it again but it just keeps clicking now.

So I ordered a new battery from amazon. I also bought an oil filter, oil (part synthetic), oil wrench and gas siphon tool. I have some loctite (threadlocker) and am planning on getting a torque wrench too. I'm not getting another washer and bolt (I see some DIY recommend it) since it may fall in the oil pan. I have some lubricant for the chains that I will apply as well.

Assuming everything is good and the bike turns on again, I plan on riding it around this summer until I hit 600 miles. At that point I will take it to the dealer for the first service. As expensive as it is, I figure it may be worth it in my situation as they will do a thorough check.

My question is if I should change anything else or lubricate anything (assuming it isn't too difficult). I'm worried about the spark plugs that have been sitting and maybe other parts that I don't know about. I'm not sure if I should change the coolant either. Or should I immediately take it to be serviced once I get it turned on despite still being in the break-in period?

Personally, unless somebody disagrees with me, I do not see where you should be having any problems. Even with the bike sitting for a couple of years.

Nothing could have broken or gotten worn. Your plugs are definitely OK. No reason to be changing air filter or coolant.

Just lube what you can physically see and ride it until your first check mileage. Some folks I know do not even bring it in for a 600 mile check as it is nothing that the average biker can not do themselves in their own garage. But, with you sounding a little nervous about it, for you own peace of mind, I would have a " GOOD " service department check it over.

Finally, as long as you have a new good battery, you should be all set to go. So get out and enjoy the bike.

P.S. Don't forget to check tire air pressures.
MAL likes this.

MAY YOU LIVE AS LONG AS YOU WANT TO
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

AND WANT TO AS LONG AS YOU LIVE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 09:20 AM
Veteran

yep, pretty much agree with what Pooba said. If my bike was sitting for 2 years (with only 300 miles)?..I'd change the oil (but probably leave filter alone)...check the airbox for any nests and make sure air filter was still oiled. Oil chain and make sure tension was correct. Check tire pressures. Make sure coolant and brake fluids looked ok and were full. I'd also make sure I had a connection for a battery tender.

Regarding the 600 mile 'dealer' service....lots of opinions on this one. It is expensive and they may not do a whole lot of checks on the bike...but if you have little or no mechanical aptitude, and you'd feel better having them look it over, then go for it.

If you are capable of changing oil, checking chain tension, checking air filter, etc. then look at a bunch of youtube vids on a bike's first service and just do it yourself.

2014 Kawasaki Ninja 300 ABS
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 12:37 PM

Change the oil filter out at the same time...it's a cheap peace of mind. My 2c.
MAL likes this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 01:25 PM

I'd change the oil and filter, install charged battery (and leads for a battery tender jr), air up the tires, clean and lube the chain, and ride it.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 04:29 PM
Veteran

WOW

Sounds like everybody is in agreement.
MAL likes this.

MAY YOU LIVE AS LONG AS YOU WANT TO

AND WANT TO AS LONG AS YOU LIVE

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npdabest View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granpooba View Post
WOW [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.kawasakininja300.com/forum/images/smilies/excl.gif[/IMG]

Sounds like everybody is in agreement. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.kawasakininja300.com/forum/images/smilies/emot-thumbsup.gif[/IMG]
Hope you have flushed your oil tank and cleaned all residual 2 yrrs old fuel as much as possible and filled with fresh one before your ride !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page