Laid her down - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Gables_Ninja

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Laid her down

Well it happened laid my bike down for the first time. It would've been fine except for it slid into a curb and the foot peg and shifter all came off in one piece together. I was able to get it home since I was right around the corner but the peg and shifter are both just hanging off the bike. Has this happened to anyone else and what'd you do to get it fixed? I'm assuming just get it towed to the shop and let them take care of it because I can't shift out of 2nd which is what I was in when it went down. Thanks guys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180208_140419_1518123220507.jpg (113.9 KB, 32 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
It don't matter what you ride, it's that you ride.
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 05:21 PM
Seasoned Vet

Garage
Don't bother with the mechanic, that's a bolt-on fix. It's pretty quick and easy to do. I'd say "oil-change" level of difficulty if you just replace that side.

Your two options are aftermarket rearsets (Both "sides" are included. You can replace both sides or just one side) for about 90$ or a used or new OEM Rearset (just the shifter side) for 140-160$. OEM is a lot more expensive. In either case Ebay is your best bet. I would personally go with aftermarket since it's cheaper and more adjustable. It's what I ended up installing.

- If someone's answer is useful, consider leaving a Like or a Thanks. The motivation to give a quality response is appreciated.
- Check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- Thanks for reading! If you want to see some interesting How-To's and tips, check out
!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gables_Ninja View Post
Don't bother with the mechanic, that's a bolt-on fix. It's pretty quick and easy to do. I'd say "oil-change" level of difficulty if you just replace that side.

Your two options are aftermarket rearsets (Both "sides" are included. You can replace both sides or just one side) for about 90$ or a used or new OEM Rearset (just the shifter side) for 140-160$. OEM is a lot more expensive. In either case Ebay is your best bet. I would personally go with aftermarket since it's cheaper and more adjustable. It's what I ended up installing.

I'll have to check them out then. Reason I asked is because it looks like the weld is where it broke off so I wasn't sure if the shop would literally have to weld it back on.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 07:58 PM
Seasoned Vet

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.myers6994 View Post
I'll have to check them out then. Reason I asked is because it looks like the weld is where it broke off so I wasn't sure if the shop would literally have to weld it back on.
Nah you can't weld that. I mean if you we're in the middle of a trip as a bandaid, maybe, but it's not a long term solution. Just remove those two silver bolts right before where it broke, and swap the replacement. It really is just two bolts and the shift connector.

- If someone's answer is useful, consider leaving a Like or a Thanks. The motivation to give a quality response is appreciated.
- Check out

- Thanks for reading! If you want to see some interesting How-To's and tips, check out
!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gables_Ninja View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.myers6994 View Post
Nah you can't weld that. I mean if you we're in the middle of a trip as a bandaid, maybe, but it's not a long term solution. Just remove those two silver bolts right before where it broke, and swap the replacement. It really is just two bolts and the shift connector.

Yep I checked it out and got it taken off. Thanks for the info

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 08:14 AM
Veteran

Garage
I would take a look at aftermarket rearsets. Many people report good things about the eBay ones.
From the looks of it, that's a cast part. Though you could probably weld it back together, welding cast parts is not easy and can cause cracking in the parent material, and it would not be near as strong as it was before and you'd run the risk of cracking the welds and ending up in the exact same situation you're in now. Add on a price tag that's likely going to be close to a new pair of aftermarkets and the fact that it will likely look a bit ugly (subjective), and replacement becomes a very attractive option.

2012 Honda NC700SA
2015 Kawasaki Ninja 300
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 11:35 AM
Seasoned Vet

Garage
I have a similar feeling. I'm sure you'd find some backyard welder that would give it a whirl in exchange for a six-pack, but if you ever stand up on the rearsets (something that's perfectly normal to do) and the weld fails, that would be a catastrophic accident that would cost you a lot more than a replacement rearset.
xorbe likes this.

- Check out

!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page