Chain and Sprocket set change to 15/40 gearing - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Chain and Sprocket set change to 15/40 gearing

At 7700 miles my chain started to make a clicking noise. Turns out it was loose at several links. I commute 100 miles per day and clean/lube the chain once per week. I thought the chain would last at least 10k miles.

After doing some research, a friend referred me to sprocket center. DID 520 VX2 gold x-ring chain and both JT sprockets were $131 shipped. If I went with the black chain, it would have been $10 cheaper. Place was cheaper than anyone else I found on the net.

90% of my ride on the ninja is commuting (also have a R6 for weekends), 100 miles per day between 75mph and 85mph. I wanted a little lower cruising rpm, so I chose the 15 front and 40 rear gearing. Stock gearing is a 3.00 ratio and this setup equals a 2.67 ratio.

With the new gearing, cruising in 6th gear the motor is spinning about 900 rpms lower. The speedometer is off by about 10 mph but now the tach is pretty much the speedo. 7000 rpm is right at 72 mph. The bike feels a lot smoother and quiter too. Power wise, when I want to pass a car, just twisting the throttle it doesn't pick up as fast anymore but still ok. If I really need to pass fast, just downshift a gear. Acceleration from gear 1-4 is still just as fast, just doesn't feel as fast as with stock gearing. There's a straight stretch of road near my house, always gun it from 5mph to 80mph. I still get to 80 at the same spot but instead of being in 4th gear, I'm still in 3rd. Top speed is still the same. Both setups I still max out at 105-106 mph, the difference is now I reach it in 5th gear, changing to 6th gear still leaves it at 105, just lower rpms.

What I gained from this change is exactly what I wanted. Lower cruising rpms with a smoother ride while still getting the same acceleration. Also with the longer 1st gear, putting along in traffic when you close the throttle, there is less engine braking now. It's a much smoother on/off throttle response. No more jerky on/off throttle. Lastly the best part of it is the MPG. With the stock setup I was getting around 58mpg. With this new higher gearing, I am now getting right at 62 mpg. Pretty good gains.

Which now leads me to wonder, why haven't any of the motorcycle manufacturers added a 7th gear purely for cruising? All the cars are getting more gears in order to lower cruising speed rpms and increase mpg while maintaining good low speed acceleration. If the 300 came with a 7th speed that say, drops rpm by 2000, that would be perfect. You still have just as much fun shifting all the lower gears while cruising on the highway at low fuel saving rpms.
The Following User Says Thank You to tubbie For This Useful Post:
kenneth davidson (08-31-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2014, 01:42 PM
Veteran

Garage
im starting to experience the clicking noise as well at 17000kms.the stock parts really shouldnt wear out so soon.getting them replaced tomorrow.ive tried adjusting the chain but its stretched at a point and it either overtightens while riding or is too slack.it hasnt slipped off.ive put it on the rear stand and spun it slowly and you can figure out where the problem links are but im pretty sure it would of damaged the sprockets as well as you can see some wear on the teeth so im replacing all.

Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you will help them become what they are capable of becoming-Johan Walfgang von Goethe
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 02:05 PM

Hi tubbie,
I just changed out my sprockets to 15/39. I like it! Did you do anything to recalibrate your speedo?
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 03:02 PM
Forum Champion

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by justbreathe View Post
Hi tubbie,
I just changed out my sprockets to 15/39. I like it! Did you do anything to recalibrate your speedo?
Tubbie was last active over 2 years ago. If you're changing your sprockets and want your speedometer to read more accurately (note: they aren't entirely accurate at stock, once you start changing things, they're even less accurate), then I suggest getting a speedohealer.

It's a girl on a bike...it's Rogue!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Twitter: @Rogue_300
Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Instagram: Rogue_300

Do you rock it?

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 03:17 PM

thanks Rogue. I was just looking up Yellow Box. Either that or markers on my tach. LOL.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 06:21 PM
Veteran

I'm so used to inaccurate motorcycle speedos I've never bothered to fix one. It would be nice though. I'm going 15t soon. Maybe ill do a speedo healer.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 01:41 AM
Forum Champion

Garage
If you go up 1 tooth in the front and down 2 in the back, your speedometer will read slower than your actual speed. It also shorts mileage on the odometer. For every 100 miles on the odometer, Iíve actually ridden more like 112. Just something to keep in mind if you decide to change your sprocket sizes and donít install a healer.

It's a girl on a bike...it's Rogue!

Twitter: @Rogue_300
Blog:

Instagram: Rogue_300

Do you rock it?

The Following User Says Thank You to Rogue For This Useful Post:
jkv45 (10-24-2019)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 01:48 PM

Garage
In my experience, 14/40 gives you a super accurate speedo without any healers. GPS tested, it is within 1mph all the way up to freeway speeds. Mine used to be 10% high, so if i wanted to go 70, id make the speedo 77. It sucked. Now I am happier with the ratio and the speedo is dead on, actually accurate.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 02:35 PM

I didn't try to find my stock speedo accuracy 'before' however, it felt like it was a few percent high. Now, with 15/39, it is around 11% low according to the GPS. More interestingly is that I can now use the tach instead. While in 6th gear, 50mph is 5000rpm, 60mph is 6000rpm, etc. I don't have any issues with the odometer reading low.

VStream 20", Palladin luggage rack, 15/39 sprockets
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 02:46 PM
Veteran

If you're speedometer reads low your odometer will as well. The odometer reading is derived from the speedometer reading

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page