Putting ABS on a non-ABS model? - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Putting ABS on a non-ABS model?

As the title says, is it possible? I'd imagine it is, but does it cost a lot? I mean, You can find Ninja 300's around 3500$ where as for most ABS models they are a couple grand more...

Does anyone know if this is possible? Or even really realistically feasible?

EDIT: I hope this isn't the wrong sub forum.
post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 02:49 PM
Forum Champion

Send a message via AIM to Muilisx
The ABS model of the N-3 from a dealer is only $500 more so if anyone is trying to get 2grand more for a used ABS model, they are overpriced.

©•Muilisx•©

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muilisx View Post
The ABS model of the N-3 from a dealer is only $500 more so if anyone is trying to get 2grand more for a used ABS model, they are overpriced.
Well, even MSRP is only a 200 difference, but I can't find anything below 4800 in the Phoenix area that has ABS, but I can find ones without ABS for less than 4k all day.
post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 02:54 PM
Forum Champion

Thanked 1,661 Times in 1,049 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muilisx View Post
The problem you get into is that the sum of the parts and labor is much more than $500 when you do it post manufacture. So you're going to see the ABS models maintain a much higher price in the used market than the non-ABS since a person buying all of the ABS model parts and getting them installed will exceed the general average price difference between the ABS and non-ABS bikes on the USED market. If buying new, then I would agree with you. The stealership can burn in hell for all I care. But in the used market, things get a bit more complicated. Especially in the 2013 model year as ABS was much more rare than will be the case for the 2014 model year. The two dealerships I talked to said they sold on average 1 ABS model for every 10 non-ABS model in 2012-2013 for the 2013 model year. It's also down to geographical location as well. Some places were able to get more bikes so your used market will have a higher saturation of them and therefore, lower average prices.

2017 Black FZ-10
The Following User Says Thank You to FreelancerMG For This Useful Post:
KawasakiSanHyaku (03-04-2014)
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreelancerMG View Post
The problem you get into is that the sum of the parts and labor is much more than $500 when you do it post manufacture. So you're going to see the ABS models maintain a much higher price in the used market than the non-ABS since a person buying all of the ABS model parts and getting them installed will exceed the general average price difference between the ABS and non-ABS bikes on the USED market. If buying new, then I would agree with you. The stealership can burn in hell for all I care. But in the used market, things get a bit more complicated. Especially in the 2013 model year as ABS was much more rare than will be the case for the 2014 model year. The two dealerships I talked to said they sold on average 1 ABS model for every 10 non-ABS model in 2012-2013 for the 2013 model year. It's also down to geographical location as well. Some places were able to get more bikes so your used market will have a higher saturation of them and therefore, lower average prices.
Ahhhh. That explains it! Thanks!

Do you think I could put ABS on there even though it might be a used bike and it wasn't make with ABS?
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 03:12 PM
Forum Champion

Thanked 2,981 Times in 2,127 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KawasakiSanHyaku View Post

Do you think I could put ABS on there even though it might be a used bike and it wasn't make with ABS?
with enough time & money you can do anything

post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 03:14 PM
Forum Champion

Send a message via AIM to Muilisx
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreelancerMG View Post
I meant a brand new ABS from the dealer is $500 more than a non abs from the dealer. I never meant as in someone buying a non ABS and installing ABS themselves. I only meant as if someone bought a ABS model from the dealer, and then was trying to sell it for 2grand more when they only paid $500 more for it. I don't know why someone would want to pay all that extra money to put ABS to a non ABS model. Just buy a ABS model if you want ABS.

©•Muilisx•©

post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruizin View Post
with enough time & money you can do anything
Haha well I mean, with a reasonable amount of money and time haha.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 03:17 PM
Forum Champion

Thanked 1,661 Times in 1,049 Posts
Garage
Quote:

From the little compare and contrast of the IPBs of both models, there isn't anything inherently different on the frame or structural level that would preclude you from buying all of the OEM ABS oriented parts and putting them onto a non-ABS bike. It would be quite a list of parts as you have;

-ABS hydraulic pump
-New brake lines
-New brake caliper assemblies at the front and rear
-All supporting brackets for mounting all of the extra lines and hydraulic unit
-New rear rotor and new front rotor hub and speed sensors to relay back to the ABS unit.
-Maybe a new fuse for the hydraulic unit and sensors. I don't know off hand what the amperage rating for the hydraulic unit is so I can't remember if the spares would work or not.

That's all I can think up of off the top of my head right now and I'm sure I probably missed something. I believe the non-ABS bikes still have the bulb and connections for the ABS light in the dash and just doesn't have the electrical wiring from the ABS unit to the dash to light the light up. If they are truly two different meter units, that's going to be VERY expensive to replace just for a little light.

As you can see, that's a lot of parts and potential labor to add these things on and where you can start to see a fairly large price difference between the ABS and non-ABS models on the used market. This is why I always tell people that if there's an electronic aid or feature on a new bike that they want, they better buy it WITH the bike while it's new as adding it on afterwards can be 2x-4x more expensive after the fact.

2017 Black FZ-10

Last edited by FreelancerMG; 03-04-2014 at 03:25 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to FreelancerMG For This Useful Post:
KawasakiSanHyaku (03-04-2014)
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 03:18 PM
Forum Champion

Thanked 2,981 Times in 2,127 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Haha well I mean, with a reasonable amount of money and time haha.
to be perfectly honest, if you want ABS on a 300, then go buy one with it on there in the first place.

The Following User Says Thank You to cruizin For This Useful Post:
Muilisx (03-04-2014)

Tags
300, abs, ninja

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in