Installed Gel Pad - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

Installed Gel Pad

I just finished grafting a gel pad into my seat. The difference is pretty amazing. Felt vibrations are almost completely eliminated and the seat is so much more comfortable.

Cost $80 ($50 for pad and $30 for pneumatic stapler) and took a total of about 2 hours.

One note. I was unable to penetrate (giggidy) the seat pan with a good quality manual stapler or with an electric one. For me at least a pneumatic stapler was required and made the job easy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 08:40 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennylxix View Post
I just finished grafting a gel pad into my seat. The difference is pretty amazing. Felt vibrations are almost completely eliminated and the seat is so much more comfortable.

Cost $80 ($50 for pad and $30 for pneumatic stapler) and took a total of about 2 hours.

One note. I was unable to penetrate (giggidy) the seat pan with a good quality manual stapler or with an electric one. For me at least a pneumatic stapler was required and made the job easy.

Your gel pad installation may work even better than the factory GEL seat, that I purchased and installed.

But as far as vibrations are concerned, I never felt any even with the original factory seat and definitely not with the new GEL seat.

My new GEL seat is somewhat more comfortable. But nothing to really brag about. Maybe I was just expecting a more cushy butt.

But we all do have to admit that this is a SPORT bike and their is just not enough area /space to be adding a seat that would be many inches thicker of a material that would provide people with a very cushioned ride.

MAY YOU LIVE AS LONG AS YOU WANT TO
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

AND WANT TO AS LONG AS YOU LIVE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I think my bike is more vibey than some. I am planning on checking valves and adjusting the throttle bodies eventually to see if something is out of whack (already retorqued engine mounts.

I get almost not vibration under 7k. As soon as I hit 7k it gets pretty buzzy.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 02:40 AM
Forum Champion

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granpooba View Post
My new GEL seat is somewhat more comfortable. But nothing to really brag about. Maybe I was just expecting a more cushy butt.

But we all do have to admit that this is a SPORT bike and their is just not enough area /space to be adding a seat that would be many inches thicker of a material that would provide people with a very cushioned ride.
When I do a 300+ mile ride, Iíve seriously thought about wearing those padded bicycle shorts under my gear.
MAL likes this.

It's a girl on a bike...it's Rogue!

Twitter: @Rogue_300
Blog:

Instagram: Rogue_300

Do you rock it?

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 07:59 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
When I do a 300+ mile ride, Iíve seriously thought about wearing those padded bicycle shorts under my gear.

Must admit that I have never thought of using padded bicycle shorts for a more comfortable ride. Sounds like a great idea.

But I am also thinking only because you have previously reported a short inseam and tippy toeing the bike. Don't you think that padded shorts might raise your seat height position and make it more difficult to plant your feet on the ground
I realize that their is not that much padding in bicycle shorts, but it may be just enough to cause a problem for the shorter inseam riders.

Remember, a bicycle does not have lowering links such as a Ninja. But, you can raise and lower the SEAT to compensate for inseam, peddle reach and placing feet on the ground.

Amazing how many factors come into play for such a simple subject.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

I wonder how thick the gel on the oem gel seat is. The pad I installed is 1" thick. I know a lot of them out there are more like 3/8".
I do have a pretty bony butt so I might notice more if a difference than sone would.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 08:23 AM
MAL
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
When I do a 300+ mile ride, I’ve seriously thought about wearing those padded bicycle shorts under my gear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granpooba View Post
Must admit that I have never thought of using padded bicycle shorts for a more comfortable ride. Sounds like a great idea. <snip>

Hmm, that's a novel idea. I should try this also.
I haven't embarked on a long trip with the 300 [yet!], and have not found the stock seat to be uncomfortable, but for a long trip which I have planned, the bicycle shorts idea sounds like an easy way to potentially make the journey less of a pain-in-the-arse (literally!).
Rogue likes this.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 11:08 AM
Veteran

Quote:
I wonder how thick the gel on the oem gel seat is. The pad I installed is 1" thick. I know a lot of them out there are more like 3/8".
I do have a pretty bony butt so I might notice more if a difference than sone would.

The Kawasaki Factory GEL Seat is one inch thicker than the factory stock seat that comes on the bike.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Ah, well I definitely wouldnt want that. The last thing I need to to be sitting even higher on the bike and counteracting all my ergonomics efforts[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 06:18 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Ah, well I definitely wouldnt want that. The last thing I need to to be sitting even higher on the bike and counteracting all my ergonomics efforts[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

One inch higher GEL seat is part of my reasoning to lower the rear of the bike.

Risers are helpful, but with a GEL seat that is one inch higher that stock, it neutralizes the risers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page