Bad rotor/caliper? - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 01:09 AM Thread Starter

Bad rotor/caliper?

Hey Guys, I was changing my front tire (bike fully lifted of the ground) & noticed that my rotor & brake pads are rubbing. When I spin my tire I hear this grinding sound. My bike isn't hard to move when in neutral so the brake pressure being applied can't be very much.

I'm uncertain if its a warped rotor (I don't feel my bike wobble when braking heavily) or bad caliper that is not retracting. I was hoping that someone would be able top help me out. I took a picture of my brake pads & they both seem to be wearing evenly. My bike is a 2014 SE ABS model with 2000 miles. Another thing to note is, it happened before & after I removed the tire.

I'll post a picture of my pads & a video of the noise that it makes. Thanks guys!

EDIT: Here is the video,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFdr...ature=youtu.be
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150421_200136.jpg (188.5 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 20150421_200142.jpg (212.2 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by F-U-B-A-R; 04-22-2015 at 01:12 AM.
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 01:32 AM
Veteran

Garage
I just spun mine and I can hear a slight scraping which is normal since its hard parts touching ever so slightly but in the video i notice 1 spot that catches a little more. I would guess that a tiny spec of a rock nicked your rotor and your hearing that as it touches your pads. I myself would not be worried at all as long as you dont feel anything. Double check though that your abs sensor still has an air gap between it and the tone ring in your rotor, you may have nudged it when changing the tire.

Ride, 2014 Ninja 300. Job, Master L1 ASE Technician.
The Following User Says Thank You to sad panda For This Useful Post:
F-U-B-A-R (04-22-2015)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 01:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sad panda View Post
I just spun mine and I can hear a slight scraping which is normal since its hard parts touching ever so slightly but in the video i notice 1 spot that catches a little more. I would guess that a tiny spec of a rock nicked your rotor and your hearing that as it touches your pads. I myself would not be worried at all as long as you dont feel anything. Double check though that your abs sensor still has an air gap between it and the tone ring in your rotor, you may have nudged it when changing the tire.
Yeah, 1 part does catch a little more than the rest. Thinking back, I believe I know where that came from. I had a Xenon Disk Lock on & I accidently rolled the bike back & it got caught on the front fork while still attached to the rotor. It was a little difficult to remove.

I'm not sure what you're referring to when your talking about the ABS sensor & air gap. Does it have to be aligned a certain way & how can I tell if I accidently moved it? Thanks for the help!

Last edited by F-U-B-A-R; 04-22-2015 at 01:56 AM.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 02:02 AM
Veteran

Garage
Just look very closely at your rotor and if you can see the spot that was hit simply file it down a tiny bit and spin the wheel to see if its gone. You will always hear a little bit of scraping but yes that one spot in the video does sound like a mark in the rotor.

F-U-B-A-R (04-22-2015)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 02:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Just look very closely at your rotor and if you can see the spot that was hit simply file it down a tiny bit and spin the wheel to see if its gone. You will always hear a little bit of scraping but yes that one spot in the video does sound like a mark in the rotor.
I'll try to look @ it once more. I couldn't really see or feel any deformities. If its a hazard, I wouldn't mind buying another OEM used rotor from Ebay. Also, is there a certain way to see and/or check if my ABS sensor is out of place? Again thanks!

Last edited by F-U-B-A-R; 04-22-2015 at 02:12 AM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 12:24 AM
Veteran

Garage
Having a small nic in the rotor isnt a hazard, at most it will just wear a small groove in the brake pad and eventually wear everything back to normal so dont worry about it unless you can FEEL something while braking. As far as the abs sensor goes I dont have abs on mine but assuming it uses the same setup as on cars you will see a small sensor with 2 wires going to it near the ring on the wheel which looks like a tiny brake rotor with slots cut out of it. There should be less than a millimeter of gap but spin the wheel to make sure it never makes contact with the sensor.

F-U-B-A-R (04-23-2015)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 02:14 AM
Post Whore

Completely normal (I think) as my bike does the same. I recently changed my tires as well and the pads do ever slightly touch the rotor.

PS - nice choice of front stand and tire =)
The Following User Says Thank You to cadd For This Useful Post:
F-U-B-A-R (04-23-2015)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 02:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Having a small nic in the rotor isnt a hazard, at most it will just wear a small groove in the brake pad and eventually wear everything back to normal so dont worry about it unless you can FEEL something while braking. As far as the abs sensor goes I dont have abs on mine but assuming it uses the same setup as on cars you will see a small sensor with 2 wires going to it near the ring on the wheel which looks like a tiny brake rotor with slots cut out of it. There should be less than a millimeter of gap but spin the wheel to make sure it never makes contact with the sensor.
Thanks! I haven't rode since installing my front tire. I used an old torque wrench to tighten my front wheel nut (clicky style & hasn't been calibrated since I bought it 1 & a half years ago). I'm new to this DIY thing & want to make sure I do everything right. Could be the difference between a life & death situation . I ordered a beam style torque wrench & some new cotter pins for the wheel nuts (front & back, although I haven't taken my back wheel off, still need to figure out how to do it correctly lol).

I checked the spacing between the ABS sensor & the metal ring & it's extremely close, but not touching. So I think that its safe to say, that it's on correctly. I ordered some new brake pads & I am also waiting for those to arrive so I can install them when I remove the rear tire this weekend. Once I do ride though, I will make sure to feel for any vibration while braking. If I feel anything, I'll make sure to replace the rotor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadd View Post
Completely normal (I think) as my bike does the same. I recently changed my tires as well and the pads do ever slightly touch the rotor.

PS - nice choice of front stand and tire =)
Thanks! I can't wait to feel the difference from stock to Diablo Rosso II's. I'm sure it'll improve my confidence.

Last edited by F-U-B-A-R; 04-23-2015 at 02:44 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page