"Wobble" or vibration from drive train - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 02:53 AM Thread Starter

Garage
"Wobble" or vibration from drive train

Ever since i replaced my tires recently i get a slow vibrator or what i would call a wobble while accelerating or decelerating quickly (engine braking). It's not really noticeable whole cruising at a fixed speed. At first i assumed it was a chain tension or maybe alignment issue but after ruling that out I'm at a loss. I'm going to take my rear wheel back to the shop that installed my tires tomorrow to have the balance checked. Maybe just removing and reinstalling the wheel will help. Is it possible i put the spacers on the wrong sides? i was pretty careful to remember where they went but i have to question everything until i rule it out. Any ideas on what might be causing this?

Last edited by Spacep0d; 01-08-2014 at 02:55 AM. Reason: Caps/Appearance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 07:12 AM
Forum Champion

Thanked 2,981 Times in 2,127 Posts
Garage
mmmmmm.... could be a few things. the wheels may not be balanced correctly, been there done that in the past and the bar wobble was nothing short of scary on deceleration.

could also be a sign of the steering stem bearings are rooted.

if you ride down a decline and you accelerate what happens?does the handle bars wobble/vibrate pretty bad??? if so, could be a good sign the steering stem bearings are rooted.

how many kilometres/miles are on the clock?

also how old are the tyres??? they could be cupped

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruizin View Post
mmmmmm.... could be a few things. the wheels may not be balanced correctly, been there done that in the past and the bar wobble was nothing short of scary on deceleration.

could also be a sign of the steering stem bearings are rooted.

if you ride down a decline and you accelerate what happens?does the handle bars wobble/vibrate pretty bad??? if so, could be a good sign the steering stem bearings are rooted.

how many kilometres/miles are on the clock?

also how old are the tyres??? they could be cupped
all the vibration comes from the rear wheel. The steering does not wobble. The bike has just under 6k miles. The tires are brand new less than 200 miles on them
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 04:17 PM
Forum Champion

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezagon View Post
all the vibration comes from the rear wheel. The steering does not wobble. The bike has just under 6k miles. The tires are brand new less than 200 miles on them
mmmm.. interesting, could be like what i had on my 2014 and the tyres themself are out of balance. might be worth your while getting it checked again for balance. while the wheel is off check the wheel bearings too, just incase.

put your fingers on the bearings and turn them slowly, should turn nice and free. anything but nice and free if they stick or bind, replace them

**edit**

also check the alignment of the wheel/sprocket when putting it back on

Last edited by cruizin; 01-08-2014 at 04:28 PM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I had the balance checked and it was dead on.I reinstalled the wheel and carefully check the alignment.however the wobble is still there
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 06:52 PM
Seasoned Vet

I have a weird slight wobble at high speeds if I let go of the handle bars. Hmmm

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2013 Ebony 300.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpicyNuggets View Post
Can get 60mpg used conservatively or 35mpg if being thrashed
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 06:43 AM
Forum Champion

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezagon View Post
I had the balance checked and it was dead on.I reinstalled the wheel and carefully check the alignment.however the wobble is still there
ok, so what exactly is it that wobbles??? how much is the wobble, like is it measurable in millimeters, centimeters, inches what??????

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruizin View Post
ok, so what exactly is it that wobbles??? how much is the wobble, like is it measurable in millimeters, centimeters, inches what??????
It isn't something i can measure. Its most noticeable at high speeds while accelerating or decelerating. It feels almost like there is a tight spot in the chain that causes hesitation whenever it passes by or maybe there is slack in the chain that causes uneven acceleration. I'm having a tough time describing it in words. its a slow wobble, maybe a couple times a second, which leads me to believe its a chain problem since the wheel revolves more quickly and would create a much faster vibration if it were not balanced. I've tried loosening and tightening the chain which seems to have no effect. Is it possible my chain is going bad? I have heard that when the difference between the tight and loose sections of a chain are too great it's time to replace it but my chain and my bike are relatively new. I'm really disappointed that I can't figure this out on my own but since i can't think of anything else to try I'm going to have the dealership look at it (also gives me a chance to sit on a zx6r, ninja 1000, and a coupe other bikes).

Last edited by Dezagon; 01-09-2014 at 04:05 PM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 04:44 PM
Forum Champion

Garage
it sounds more like vibration rather then a wobble.

my bike will vibrate thru the bars when accelerating and decelerating, quite typical of the 300.

vibration thru the bike is quite typical and mine is from the engine. i have put rubber under the foot pegs to eliminate vibration thru pegs, plug foam grips & the heaviest bar weights i can lay my hands on bar making them myself.

you could also find that if it is thru the bars that the steering stem bearings are rooted as well.on my old green/black 300 the stock bearings let go at around 5000 kilometers

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Dealership confirmed it was a bad chain. I'm not sure why the chain went bad so soon. I dont lube the chain as often as I should but I am still surprised. Ill be lubing it more regularly from now on

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page