weak handlebars - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 02:44 AM Thread Starter
Fox

weak handlebars

just wanted to share a bit of info about securing the 300 in the back of a truck. i used to use the handlebar harness or like devices for my 600, but upon trying it with the 300, learned that it was in fact a bad idea. the kawasaki dealership insisted i use the handlebar harness to prevent scratching anything. no word yet on if the damage will be covered by insurance, warranty, or my pocket.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20130414_145925_996.jpg (174.3 KB, 200 views)
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 02:51 AM

That sucks.. I've dropped mine twice and the left handlebar took most of the damage but it never bent at all. Good luck with insurance :/
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeA For This Useful Post:
Fox (04-17-2013)
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 02:57 AM
Forum Champion

Thanked 1,661 Times in 1,049 Posts
Garage
These handlebars are a lightweight and thin steel tubing. As you have found, you gotta be really careful about using straps on handlebars. You can't have them too far and wide out and then crank them down a whole lot. That leverage will bend/break many handlebars unless they're thicker and reinforced. Good luck on getting it count as a warranty service. You might be able to call it off as a material defect.

2017 Black FZ-10
The Following User Says Thank You to FreelancerMG For This Useful Post:
Fox (04-17-2013)
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 03:46 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,851 Times in 1,152 Posts
Have strapped many bikes including my 300 and never have I seen that before.

IMO that has been strapped way to tight from looking at that pic. It should be tight, but not so tight to be able play guitar with your straps if ya know what I mean, the bike should be allowed a little bit of movement......... looks as if you were a bit nervous about the bike moving around and overdid it a little. We can only learn though and nice to know how weak these bars are really!!

Good luck!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jeff; 04-17-2013 at 03:50 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to jeff For This Useful Post:
Fox (04-17-2013)
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 11:49 AM
Banned

I guess that was done with a ratcheting strap? Looks like you bottomed the forks and went another inch! The bars are made of the same cheese steel as everything else, but that is an abusive amount of force on the bar, not a factory defect. Unless the dealership guys did that, you are at fault here. Under normal stress of a regular tie down, that will not happen.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 12:24 PM
Veteran

I learned a valuable lesson as our 300 fell on the way home from the dealership twice.

The best way is strap to the rear foot peg brackets. They can take the force of "guitar playing" tightness. That will account for the side to side movement. Then use one strap through the front wheel to keep the front tire tight up to the trailer and on the ground. This way it won't move back & forth either.

If you're using a pickup, I don't have any experience there. I've only ever hauled bikes on a trailer.

Who the hell are you, CIA, Delta?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 12:47 PM
Forum Champion

Thanked 1,661 Times in 1,049 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecomputerguy06 View Post
I learned a valuable lesson as our 300 fell on the way home from the dealership twice.

The best way is strap to the rear foot peg brackets. They can take the force of "guitar playing" tightness. That will account for the side to side movement. Then use one strap through the front wheel to keep the front tire tight up to the trailer and on the ground. This way it won't move back & forth either.

If you're using a pickup, I don't have any experience there. I've only ever hauled bikes on a trailer.
You should NOT be securing a bike down to the point where the suspension is bottomed out. You can blow seals doing that as the suspension isn't designed to be fully stroked for long periods of time under pressure. Also I wouldn't want to rely too much on using the rear passenger pegs for the downward securing. The reason you do the handlebars is that as both are cinched down equally, you have the dual forces that are pulling outwards on both handlebars holding up the bike and preventing it from shifting side to side. The passenger pegs and brackets are not designed for this kind of movement with the full force and weight of the bike on it like that. We're talking about a piece that bends and breaks when you drop the bike on it.

2017 Black FZ-10
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by old3 View Post
I guess that was done with a ratcheting strap? Looks like you bottomed the forks and went another inch! The bars are made of the same cheese steel as everything else, but that is an abusive amount of force on the bar, not a factory defect. Unless the dealership guys did that, you are at fault here. Under normal stress of a regular tie down, that will not happen.
Forks still had plenty of room. I was using the "canyon dancer handlebar harness" reccomended by the dealership. They showed me how to use it and I followed their reccomendations...
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 05:26 PM
Forum Champion

Thanked 2,981 Times in 2,127 Posts
Garage
you should never clamp down from the handle bars, i have seen this before.

come off the frame or the triple clamp

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 02:07 AM Thread Starter
Fox

the dealership took care of the issue, they said they have never seen this happen before. the owner is taking it up with Kawasaki USA, because he says it was defective. if the owner tells me, i will pass on the word from Kawasaki USA.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page