Oil pressure and neutral light's staying on - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By rlandron

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Oil pressure and neutral light's staying on

Hi guys first post on here. So this problem started when I was riding to my friends it's about 30 min ride. It was a fairly warm day and I noticed the oil pressure light flicking on and off after I had passed a couple of cars on the faster stretch road. When I left started the bike everything was normal. But raining at the time about 5 min in lights came on and stayed on untill I got to my next destination close to home once leaving there lights off. But then the next morning both lights on and staying on. So naturally I got the manual to try a figure out what's happening. So in the manual it states oil pressure light on means low oil pressure. I put the oil pressure test gauge on and it reads about 24 psi once oil is at volicity at 4000rpm. Ive put new oil and,filter, dropped oil pan checked and cleaned oil strainer and relief valve. Got new oil pressure switch on order. Since the bike is my only wheels atm it has to used lights or no lights. So on Saturday riding home I notice both lights are off but for say 10, 15 seconds then back on. When I get home I put the oil test gauge on and it's reads a tad heigh but not low. Then I turn ignition on then off a few times and what do ya know both lights off I fire the up this morn all good, 3 min up the road there back on. I did get a second hand dash cluster off eBay about month back. Sorry guys for rabbiting on just trying to explain best I can. If any one can help and point me in the right direction to fix the issue would be fantastic cheers thanks for reading
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 12:55 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossko View Post
Hi guys first post on here. So this problem started when I was riding to my friends it's about 30 min ride. It was a fairly warm day and I noticed the oil pressure light flicking on and off after I had passed a couple of cars on the faster stretch road. When I left started the bike everything was normal. But raining at the time about 5 min in lights came on and stayed on untill I got to my next destination close to home once leaving there lights off. But then the next morning both lights on and staying on. So naturally I got the manual to try a figure out what's happening. So in the manual it states oil pressure light on means low oil pressure. I put the oil pressure test gauge on and it reads about 24 psi once oil is at volicity at 4000rpm. Ive put new oil and,filter, dropped oil pan checked and cleaned oil strainer and relief valve. Got new oil pressure switch on order. Since the bike is my only wheels atm it has to used lights or no lights. So on Saturday riding home I notice both lights are off but for say 10, 15 seconds then back on. When I get home I put the oil test gauge on and it's reads a tad heigh but not low. Then I turn ignition on then off a few times and what do ya know both lights off I fire the up this morn all good, 3 min up the road there back on. I did get a second hand dash cluster off eBay about month back. Sorry guys for rabbiting on just trying to explain best I can. If any one can help and point me in the right direction to fix the issue would be fantastic cheers thanks for reading
Sure sounds like an electrical issue with the used gauge cluster to me.

I'd check the service manual for proper pressures, but yours seem to be adequate.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Okay thanks. I also did notice on start up only the oil pressure and neural lights light up instead of all of them. And the digital side of the cluster only comes on once I put it in first
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 08:28 PM

Based on everything you have tried,
I would go for a new cluster.
I got one from china off ebay
He was a good reputable seller with high ranking
It worked out, I had it in there going on 2 1/2 years now.
Whatever you choose, get rid of the one you have now its giving you false information.
Try a motorcycle salvage yard on ebay
They guarantee their items.
And most accept free returns.
jkv45 likes this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 04:01 AM

Certainly sounds like some water got in to the circuits. But also sounds like it may not have permanently fried everything. You may be able to dry out your old instr panel, but need to find where the leak is.

VStream 20", Palladin luggage rack, 15/39 sprockets

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page