Broken spark plug removal? - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kennylxix

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Broken spark plug removal?

I've got this ninja 300 with a broken spark plug in it. It broke reasonably above the threads with a bit of ceramic still in it. I tried finding a left-handed drill bit that was long enough to get down in there, but it seems as if I can only find regular long-shafted drill bits. I would rather not drill into it with one of those because I would assume that it would make it tighter. I also bought some really long needle nose pliers and tried getting a grip on it and putting vice grips on the handles and twisting it out, but the way the frame is, that does not seem plausible.

If I was to have to disassemble the head and remove it in that manner, does anyone have any experience with doing that? I was just curious whether or not that would somehow make it easier to remove. How far down into disassembly would I have to go? I have a slight knowledge of head disassembly, but by no means fluent.

Thanks!
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 07:49 PM
Seasoned Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve2013 View Post
I've got this ninja 300 with a broken spark plug in it. It broke reasonably above the threads with a bit of ceramic still in it. I tried finding a left-handed drill bit that was long enough to get down in there, but it seems as if I can only find regular long-shafted drill bits. I would rather not drill into it with one of those because I would assume that it would make it tighter. I also bought some really long needle nose pliers and tried getting a grip on it and putting vice grips on the handles and twisting it out, but the way the frame is, that does not seem plausible.

If I was to have to disassemble the head and remove it in that manner, does anyone have any experience with doing that? I was just curious whether or not that would somehow make it easier to remove. How far down into disassembly would I have to go? I have a slight knowledge of head disassembly, but by no means fluent.

Thanks!
Their is no way that you can get a socket or a plug wrench on it .

Seems like even if the ceramic portion of the plug with the terminal is broken off, you should be able to get a plug wrench on it.

MAY YOU LIVE AS LONG AS YOU WANT TO
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

AND WANT TO AS LONG AS YOU LIVE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Eh yeah.. It broke off right under the nut area, but there's still ceramic inside of it to where I can't get an easy out into without drilling into it. I could post some pictures here after I get back to my house if it would help my predicament make more sense. I'm kinda worried about drilling into it either way tho because I'm concerned about getting foreign material into my engine. So yeah idk.

Last edited by Steve2013; 10-18-2019 at 07:58 PM.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 08:50 PM
Veteran

How, exactly, did the spark plug get broken? Was it during install or removal?

If you're certain it's broken below the hex you're going to have a very difficult time removing without getting bits in the combustion chamber. You'll have to break or drill the porcelain out and use an extractor to remove it

I hate to say it but the safest route is to remove the head. At that point, unless you're pretty confident about the removal, I'd take it to a machine shop to have it removed. A steel fastner in an aluminum head can be tricky especially since it must be pretty stuck in there for the actual hex to have broken off.
The head removal procedure shouldn't be terribly difficult. Just download the service manual and follow the instructions.

I'd really get in there and double check that the hex is gone. It's pretty hard to shear that part off the spark plug.
Rogue likes this.

Last edited by Kennylxix; 10-18-2019 at 08:58 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page