Trouble starting and stalling. - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

Trouble starting and stalling.

Hey folks. I'm having some issues that seem to only appear when my 2013 Ninja 300 is warm. When it starts up everything is great. It starts easily and works great. After a while though, it seems like it's significantly more difficult to keep it from stalling on take-off after coming to a complete stop. However, it does not typically stall and seems to idle fine without irregularness when I just come to a complete stop. Another thing I noticed is it seems to have kind of like a ticking noise coming the engine, particularly when moving. The last thing is it has difficulty starting if I arrive at a short stayed at destination and it is still warm when I start it back up; I have to give it gas while starting it.

As for what I have recently done to it,
1. Replaced the battery with some kind of Walmart battery that their computer thing recommended.
2. Replaced air filter CICMOD High-Performance Flow Panel Air Filter
3. Replaced spark plugs NGK Iridium IX Spark Plug CR8EIX
4. Replaced oil Kawasaki 10-40 and oil filter. Kawasaki filter

If any one has any advice, it would be greatly appriciated.

Thank you so much.
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 04:54 PM

are you sure you're in first when stopped?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 05:41 PM
Veteran

How old is the gas, and are you running regular 87 octane?
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 08:34 PM
Veteran

Not sure if the ticking noise is related but it sounds like a possible lean running condition. These engine runs more rich when it's cold so if there is an issue with fuel delivery it would be potentially less apparant when the engine is cold.
It may be a blocked in tank filter or failing fuel pump (or a lot of other things those are just 2 common fuel delivery failures in fuel injection systems)

The ticking could be misadjusted valves. How many miles and when were the valves last adjusted?

Did the ticking and running issues happen at the same time?

Did the bike sit for any length of time?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 02:15 AM Thread Starter

Im running 87 octane, and the gas is pretty much brand new. I am definitely in first when the bike is stopped. I was thinking that the valves could possibly need adjusted. It's been 25000 miles since they had been adjusted. The bike did sit for a little while.

One thing that I also did just recently come to my mind was the possibility of an exhaust leak. I've got some new exhaust manifold gaskets coming in the mail and was gonna try that and see if there are any improvements.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 09:07 AM
Veteran

If it's been 25000 miles the valves are WAY overdue. How about the rest of maintenance? Plugs and air filter both may be way overdue as well. I'd take care of all overdue maintenance before trying to troubleshoot any issues.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 09:42 AM
Veteran

Definitely adjust the valves before diving in too deep.

Also sync the throttle bodies.

When it does finally start after sitting a short time when hot, does it produce any black smoke out of the exhaust? Does it idle smoothly or stumble?

What is you hot idle speed set at?

For good measure, I would run a strong fuel system cleaner like Techron Concentrate (1oz per gal) once per season to clean the injectors, intake valves, and combustion chamber. It could be possible a sticky injector is leaking some fuel at certain times.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Yeah. I have replaced the plugs and filter very recently, like less than a month ago. Also the oil is pretty much brand new. I haven't ran any injector cleaner through it yet. When starting on hot it does idle very solid at 1.5. I haven't noticed any black smoke coming out the pipe either. No back fire either.

I will check the valves though. I probably should've done that already when I was doing the spark plugs.. After that I'll run some injector cleaner though it.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 12:24 PM
Veteran

Sync the TBs as well.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Ah yes. Throttle bodies too.

Tags
kawasaki, ninja300, stalling, strange noises, trouble starting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page