Ninja 300 restore - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By IronWarrior

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Ninja 300 restore

Hey guys so I recently bought a ninja 2013 ninja 300. It was working find previously from the previous owner and then he left it in his garage for almost a year. He sold me the bike and I got it to run after charging the battery but it wouldn't just stay idled and kept dying. So I took out the old fuel and put in like maybe 1 liter full and also adjusted the idle speed knob clockwise to give more idle speed. Now it won't even turn over. It just cranks up.

I havent done an oil change because it's at my friends house and he has no tools. I just need some Intel before I just tow it to a shop in austin and let them buy it and cut my loss

Thank you in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 07:39 AM
Veteran

Garage
From HERE, the tank has about a litre of unusable fuel. If you completely drained the tank of old gas and only put in about a litre, you might not have enough gas in the tank to actually get picked up. Try adding more fuel and see if it helps. I'd aim to have at least 2 or 3 litres in the tank and try it again.
jkv45 likes this.

2012 Honda NC700SA
2015 Kawasaki Ninja 300
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 10:12 AM
Veteran

Most likely that battery isn't as good as you think - I'd test it. A cheap volt meter is all you need. You want to see 12.7V or more before starting. Then check it during cranking - you want over 10V.

Add more fuel and some strong fuel system cleaner like Techron Concentrate (1oz per gal). There may still be old gas in the system that needs to be worked out, so when you get it running be patient - it may take a while to clear the system. Once it starts you may need to keep it running with the throttle (it may not want to idle), keep it running around 2000 RPMs.

Check the air filter and the oil level as well.

Don't bail on it yet!
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Well I read a threat earlier and he restored a bike after it has been sitting there too. I will add more gas and give it a try when I get one. I was thinking of using half seafoam as well. I put the battery in this portable jump cable that you charge at home and it said it was charged to the max
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 03:06 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanguyenn View Post
Well I read a threat earlier and he restored a bike after it has been sitting there too. I will add more gas and give it a try when I get one. I was thinking of using half seafoam as well. I put the battery in this portable jump cable that you charge at home and it said it was charged to the max
I'm not the biggest fan of Seafoam, and prefer Techron Concentrate. I wouldn't add more than recommended (1oz per gal) until you get it running properly. It could cause problems as it's not fuel.

Chargers don't tell the whole story about a battery's condition. They can show "green" and a full charge when the battery is not in good condition.

Use a volt meter to check, especially when cranking. The reading under load (cranking) is the most telling of the battery's condition.

Check the intake snorkel and air filter.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 04:11 PM

these bikes are fairly robust, keep chugging and you'll have a working bike in no time

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in