washed bike now rear brake switch is inop - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By iahawk

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

washed bike now rear brake switch is inop

I try not to wash my bike (with soap and water) more than once a year. I usually just use detail spray after rides. Well, I washed it last night and dried it my usual way, with a leaf blower, and today I noticed the brake light was always lit up.

I traced it to the rear switch by unhooking it and the problem went away. Hooked it back up and the problem reappeared. I pulled the switch out and sprayed a bunch of WD40 into it to try to lube it and displace any water that may have gotten in there. It didn't work.

I really don't see any other way of lubing / cleaning the switch. Any other suggestions?

I see used switches online for $15...might go that route. I'm having trouble finding a new switch in the online parts diagrams so have no idea what a new one would cost.

So I guess I'm asking if there is anything else anyone would suggest to get the brake switch working again? Anyone have an idea what a new one would cost?

2014 Kawasaki Ninja 300 ABS
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 08:44 PM
Veteran

It seems very strange to me that the brake light switch would fail closed due to water. It's just a set of contacts and even if it were completely flooded with water the switch would still work. Is it possible that it was broken before you washed and you just noticed it?

It's likely the switch could be taken apart and cleaned but don't think that would help as a dirty switch would generally fail open. Does the plunger still move freely in the switch?

Honestly I say just get a used on one eBay. They are cheap enough that it's probably not worth fixing.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

yeah, could be a coincidence..but the brake light was definitely operating correctly before this. I check brake light plus turn signals and headlights before every ride. Last time I rode was a day or 2 before and it was definitely working before the ride...could have failed during the ride, though, who knows.

I'll probably just buy the ebay special, used switch.

Kind of a PITA to get the switch unplugged..pull some tail plastics and it's still a tight squeeze between frame parts to get to the switch to plug/unplug it. It's a couple inches in front of the flasher relay in case anybody needs to find it.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

thought I'd circle back on this one...while waiting for my ebay part to arrive I thought I'd give my old switch another try. I'd soaked it with Corrosion X (an excellent penetrant / lubricant) a few days ago and turned it upside down so the lube would soak in better...I've been out of town since Monday..

plugged the switch back in and guess what?...worked fine. So now I'll have a spare, $15 rear brake switch sitting on the shelf..just in case.

I'm including a pic of the switch and the location where it plugs in...in case anyone was wondering.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brake light switch .jpg (250.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg brake light plug in.jpg (331.1 KB, 5 views)
Rogue likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page