clutch lever vertical adjustment - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
clutch lever vertical adjustment

Recently got my first road bike a 2014 ninja 300 w/abs. I ve noticed that the clutch lever has a lot of vertical (up and down) play. I have tried tightening the 10 mm and 8mm bolt and lock nut on the lever handle but have had no success in moving either. Do I just accept the vertical clutch play or is there a way I can tighten this down I haven't tried. Its not the cable as I can easily engage the clutch to shift just find it bothersome that the clutch lever moves up and down which I might just accept. Any help is greatly appreciated and thank you.

Spaghetti can be eaten most successfully if you inhale it like a vacuum cleaner.
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 10:34 AM

How many miles are on it? Is it the stock lever? Are you seeing the play out at the end of the lever or at the pivot as well?

Stock the lever will have some play. Cheap Aftermarket levers will usually have more. You can remove the lever and see if the pivot hole is worn.

It's possible to use thin shims to remove some of the slip but in my experience it's not really worth the hassle.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kennylxix For This Useful Post:
varipa08 (08-01-2019)
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the reply, the bike has less than 6000 miles on it, stock lever. The play is up and down and is all the way the through I was thinking of upgrading the lever but am not able to even remove the lock nut or loosen or tighten it, so it kinda has me baffled. It doesn't really effect my shifting and probably will just leave it since it doesn't seem to cause any problems just triggers my OCD. Also don't want it getting looser and eventually causing problems.

Spaghetti can be eaten most successfully if you inhale it like a vacuum cleaner.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 11:27 AM

What happens when you try to remove the lock nut?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 02:32 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by varipa08 View Post
Thanks for the reply, the bike has less than 6000 miles on it, stock lever. The play is up and down and is all the way the through I was thinking of upgrading the lever but am not able to even remove the lock nut or loosen or tighten it, so it kinda has me baffled. It doesn't really effect my shifting and probably will just leave it since it doesn't seem to cause any problems just triggers my OCD. Also don't want it getting looser and eventually causing problems.
Know that many inexpensive aftermarket levers will have the same issue, and some will be worse. Some levers will not activate the clutch safety switch as well.

The higher quality levers should be better, but you may want to check.

I rode my son's VFR yesterday that has an adjustable aftermarket clutch lever on it, and I asked why it was set so far out. He said it won't activate the switch if it's any closer. A stock non-adjustable lever would be better.

You should be able to remove the nut on the bottom and then unscrew the bolt from the top. It's possible you could slip a small washer in the gap before reinstalling the lever to reduce the play. You'd have to make sure the bolt's bushing area easily slid through the opening in the washer.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
thats been the main issue is I can't get the lock nut off

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 09:24 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by varipa08 View Post
thats been the main issue is I can't get the lock nut off
Are you holding the top of the bolt with the wrench when you are trying to remove the nut?

It shouldn't have a cotterpin or anything like that, and you should be able to remove it with moderate force.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Garage
yes I have a socket wrench on the lock nut and a wrench holding the top and it just spins indefinitely, so not sure if I'm missing something or something is stripped or if it is just really on there. Probably will try again tonight just don't want to make anything worse

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 11:25 AM

If it's just spinning and won't come off then yes the threads are messed up. You can try carefully backing the bolt out as you undo the nut. The bolt is threaded into the lever housing as well as the lock nut. If the bolt gets tight in the housing it's threads are messed up and will likely take the threads in the aluminum housing out with them so be gentle.
jkv45 likes this.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 12:07 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennylxix View Post
If it's just spinning and won't come off then yes the threads are messed up. You can try carefully backing the bolt out as you undo the nut. The bolt is threaded into the lever housing as well as the lock nut. If the bolt gets tight in the housing it's threads are messed up and will likely take the threads in the aluminum housing out with them so be gentle.
That's your best option.

Apply downward pressure on the nut in order to get it to "bite" and hopefully it will come off.

Obviously need a new nut, but may also need the bolt, and have to at least clean-up the threads on the perch if it's threaded (think it is).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page