Bike wont start or run properly - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 07:54 AM Thread Starter

Bike wont start or run properly

Hi guys. This is long so im sorry. 2018 ninja EX300 with 618 miles and no issues previously

I have pulled(scrapped with the air box but won) air box out put a K&N filter in, a full delkavic exhaust, heated grips, custom made rear crash bungs with exhaust hanger. tapped into the correct cable for tps(this works fine on pcv software) soldered the ground to the main ground on the chassis and put the live on the rear tail light like i have done with the others. this lot works as i can edit and see pcv fine on laptop.

Went to put a pcv on from a diff bike(have done this a few times before without any issues at all) and the bike will not run at all, it just cranks. Unplugged the power commander and it started fine. Went to try pcv again after making sure the corrected values were still in the table, and still nothing, im not sure if i possibly put the input and output from the pcv on the wrong way because i took the connectors apart to see if i had soldered them badly or if there was ant breaks. Nothing, i double checked the correct way to install the wires and still nothing so i gave up as ive not encounted this lockout before with a pcv ive modded to a diff bike. i started to put it back together and only had the headlight and rear tail light on and went to start it and it wouldn't start, had to open throttle a little and when it started it was only running cylinder one. Pulled plugs and although a bit sooted they spark well. put then back in and stil the same, you can actually see the petrol vapour coming from the exhaust when revving it but when you let go it stalls. I thought to try in on a mixing bottle for my nitro car and its fits into the petrol pipe perfect, no pressure on the bottle doesnt start, put a clamp on the to pressurise it and she seems to run both cylinders and revs ok till 4 thou, you then let go and it stutters like mad for a few seconds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 10:06 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by finninja300 View Post
Hi guys. This is long so im sorry. 2018 ninja EX300 with 618 miles and no issues previously

I have pulled(scrapped with the air box but won) air box out put a K&N filter in, a full delkavic exhaust, heated grips, custom made rear crash bungs with exhaust hanger. tapped into the correct cable for tps(this works fine on pcv software) soldered the ground to the main ground on the chassis and put the live on the rear tail light like i have done with the others. this lot works as i can edit and see pcv fine on laptop.

Went to put a pcv on from a diff bike(have done this a few times before without any issues at all) and the bike will not run at all, it just cranks. Unplugged the power commander and it started fine. Went to try pcv again after making sure the corrected values were still in the table, and still nothing, im not sure if i possibly put the input and output from the pcv on the wrong way because i took the connectors apart to see if i had soldered them badly or if there was ant breaks. Nothing, i double checked the correct way to install the wires and still nothing so i gave up as ive not encounted this lockout before with a pcv ive modded to a diff bike. i started to put it back together and only had the headlight and rear tail light on and went to start it and it wouldn't start, had to open throttle a little and when it started it was only running cylinder one. Pulled plugs and although a bit sooted they spark well. put then back in and stil the same, you can actually see the petrol vapour coming from the exhaust when revving it but when you let go it stalls. I thought to try in on a mixing bottle for my nitro car and its fits into the petrol pipe perfect, no pressure on the bottle doesnt start, put a clamp on the to pressurise it and she seems to run both cylinders and revs ok till 4 thou, you then let go and it stutters like mad for a few seconds.
Sure sounds like it's directly related to the PCV, and if you are positive you are wired correctly I would talk to Dynojet.

By opening the throttle to get it running it would suggest something related to the TPS.

How's the battery voltage? They do odd things with low voltage, and maybe the PCV adds to that.

Just guessing here...
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 11:03 AM
Veteran

I must admit that I do not have a clue.

MAY YOU LIVE AS LONG AS YOU WANT TO
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

AND WANT TO AS LONG AS YOU LIVE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 01:53 PM

I'd go through and check every part of and around every part of the pcv wiring job you did. Its possible that a ground is loose, something is touching something else etc. Maybe go so far as to completely remove the pcv wiring and put everything back the way it was. Double check all connectors you were working around to make sure you didn't knock one loose. Make sure your battery is good and fully charged.

If all that check out it's possible that something happened during the install/testing of the pcv and a sensor or even the ecu itself is fried. Are you getting any check engine codes?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 05:09 AM Thread Starter

Hello Kennylxix

The PCV is off and the battery was all good, i did fully charge it again but it cranks over with ease.

Its just weird how it seems to run well off of a bottle being squeezed, but not off the tank. Pump primes and gets pressure so im out of it here as needed the bike a week ago.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 07:56 AM

This may sound silly but there's plenty of gas in the tank right?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 08:55 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Hello Kennylxix

The PCV is off and the battery was all good, i did fully charge it again but it cranks over with ease.

Its just weird how it seems to run well off of a bottle being squeezed, but not off the tank. Pump primes and gets pressure so im out of it here as needed the bike a week ago.
I'd focus on that. Seems that you may not have adequate fuel pressure or flow from the tank.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Yes plenty of fuel in tank ran it up and down before with less in there and she ran fine.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 05:47 AM Thread Starter

How does one check for the correct pressure, i did put the pipe on but i didn't lock it in with the little red clip and after it primed about 2 seconds later it popped if and splashed me with petrol, so it seems to get good pressure, plus i cant put as much pressure in a bottle as that pump and it runs better off a bottle.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 09:35 AM
Veteran

Quote:
How does one check for the correct pressure, i did put the pipe on but i didn't lock it in with the little red clip and after it primed about 2 seconds later it popped if and splashed me with petrol, so it seems to get good pressure, plus i cant put as much pressure in a bottle as that pump and it runs better off a bottle.
I expect it would take a gauge with a special connector to be able to check pressure. Flow is usually what is tested by running the pump for a certain amount of time and measuring the output.

Maybe there was a void in the system. I'd give it a try again. Is the gas in the bottle the same gas as in the tank? Is the gas in the tank fresh?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page