Cut-out Problem - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Unhappy Cut-out Problem

Hi everyone, so I've read through some threads of what I thought could be closely related problems, however I feel the need to post my own thread.

The background story:

I am a beginner rider. I bought a used 2015 Ninja 300 30th Anniversary Edition with 19000 km on the clock. The previous owner told me the bike wasn't used much in the last 2 years. Looking at the service history it had only been running 2000 km in the last 2 years since its previous service. I took a knowledgeable friend with me to look at the bike before I bought it. All was well, it ran all okay. Worth mentioning, when we were there, taking a look, it started without a problem. I took it home and started it a couple of times without actually driving it, as I haven't had my drivers or learners license then. Eventually it didn't start anymore. I figured it was because the battery hasn't been properly charged. I removed it, charged it, put it back, and all was well.

The problem:

Here I am, a month later, I have only ridden 2 weeks in total and I am experiencing cut-outs. I initially thought it was just me driving wrong, but now I'm thinking it's a fueling problem.

What happens:

I tested it in the following 2 ways:

1) I approach a stop on speed, brake, pull the clutch, brake, gear down from eg. 4 to 2, brake if needed, release the clutch when I think my speed matches. Sometimes it cuts out when releasing clutch, sometimes it cuts out while gearing down.

2) I approach a stop on speed, brake, pull the clutch, gear one down, use throttle to lift revs, proceed in gear, gear down again, use throttle to match revs, break throttle, stop. Worth mentioning, if I don't blip on each downshift the bike will also sometimes cut out.

Note with 1 I was shifting down multiple gears, keeping the clutch in and eventually releasing as with 2 I was downshifting gear to gear, rev matching.

Also, sometimes if I blip on idle at a traffic light, the bike also cuts out.

This being said, I have experienced times when it doesn't cut out. I will ride more and see if I can figure out more of a pattern.

My thoughts were that the bike is maybe idling too low, or a faulty fuel line or filter, but I think with the latter it would be more of a shuddering cut-out. It just simply dies. Maybe a faulty stand switch.

Like I said, I am very new to the motorcycling community, and thus also with bike maintenance and troubleshooting. Any proactive advice and help would greatly be appreciated.
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 08:02 PM
Veteran

If it had any gas in it when you got it, I'd start by completely draining the tank and refilling with fresh 87 octane. No ethanol is best, IMO, if you can get it.

I'd add 1oz per gal of Chevron Techron Concentrate Complete Fuel System Cleaner to the tank.

Also check that your air filter is in good condition. Bump the hot idle speed up to about 1500 temporarily, just to help keep it running, for the sake of safety.

I'd give that a try before taking stuff apart.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 06:05 AM
Veteran

Garage
QUestion that may help

What is the idle speed
When was the last time you cleant the throttle body
When was the last time the air filter was cleant
When was teh last time you adjusted the clutch
How many kms did the bike run

T&R,
Lemuel Dias

Tags
cut-out, cutout, dies, fuel, fueling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page