2013 Ninja 300 SE Moon dust abs - No abs light - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

2013 Ninja 300 SE Moon dust abs - No abs light

Hey everyone,

I'm new to this forum, but I read lots of interesting posts. I recently bought a ninja 300 2013, SE moon dust abs. I really like the bike so far. Perfect for the city and a lots of fun.

So I'm in Canada and I understand that this model is only available with abs. I can see the abs system, the abs sticker, but when I start the bike there is no abs light signal. Also, looking with the right sun light, I can see the picture of the others signals (oil, check engine etc), but not the abs one.

Anyone have an idea why its the case? Known problem, or you think a previous owner changed the dash board?

Many thanks,

March
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 05:58 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by March View Post
Hey everyone,

I'm new to this forum, but I read lots of interesting posts. I recently bought a ninja 300 2013, SE moon dust abs. I really like the bike so far. Perfect for the city and a lots of fun.

So I'm in Canada and I understand that this model is only available with abs. I can see the abs system, the abs sticker, but when I start the bike there is no abs light signal. Also, looking with the right sun light, I can see the picture of the others signals (oil, check engine etc), but not the abs one.

Anyone have an idea why its the case? Known problem, or you think a previous owner changed the dash board?

Many thanks,

March

Hello and

Attempting to answer your ABS question, I am not really sure about the 2013 model as I have a 2017. But, I do not believe that their should be any difference and that you should have an ABS light. I am sure that somebody will come along and be able to give you a definite answer.

In the meantime, I searched the 2013 model online and found a YOU TUBE video, explaining the instrument panel. Hope you can open it and find what you are looking for.

Good luck and again ........ welcome.

MAY YOU LIVE AS LONG AS YOU WANT TO
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

AND WANT TO AS LONG AS YOU LIVE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 09:08 PM
Forum Champion

Garage
If you turn the key to light up the dash, but donít start the bike, you should see the ABS lit. If youíre not seeing that, then a safe assumption is that someone switched out the dash cluster.

It's a girl on a bike...it's Rogue!

Twitter: @Rogue_300
Blog:

Instagram: Rogue_300

Do you rock it?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 02:54 AM

Garage
As everyone has pointed out, my 2014 ABS bike has the ABS light on from the moment the key is on until I get to around 7 or 8 MPH. It then turns off and remains off until I turn the key off and restart the process. If there was an issue with the ABS, the light that, I guess might not be there, should stay lit. You could always try going to a parking lot and stomping the rear brake to see if it pulses the wheel, my rear activates the ABS fairly easily under hard braking. This is not advisable if you don't have much riding experience though and you probably shouldn't test it with the front wheel.
Madd_cabbie likes this.

Rear motorcycle damage

Pictures of the bike pre and post-accident

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome

The video is really nice. The manual states that there is a abs light, so I guess someone switched the dash in the past. I just wanted to be sure it was not a known issue with that year.

Changing the dash would reset the kilometer count, right? I'm not new to riding so i'll try to lock the rear brake, it's a good idea.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 12:25 AM
Forum Champion

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by March View Post
Changing the dash would reset the kilometer count, right? I'm not new to riding so i'll try to lock the rear brake, it's a good idea.
Yes it would. Though, TBH, how accurate is it if a previous owner switched it out already? You can, however, take the replacement cluster and the existing one to the dealer. They should be able to set the mileage on the new one to match the existing one.

Technically you can change an odometer reading yourself, but odometer tampering is highly illegal in the both the US & Canada. I'm sure that's probably the case in most of the world. If you're never going to sell the bike, then it's not a big deal, if you are going to sell it down the road, or even think you might, then either leave it alone, and make a note of the date you replaced it and what the mileage was on the old one, or take it a licensed shop to have it synced.

It's a girl on a bike...it's Rogue!

Twitter: @Rogue_300
Blog:

Instagram: Rogue_300

Do you rock it?

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Rogue. I don't really want to change the cluster. I'm more concerned that someone previously did it and lowered the kilometer count. So I understand it's possible, since I'm not sure a dealership would change an existing cluster with abs by another one without it.

On another note, I tried to lock the rear brake. Much harder than with my previous bike. I succeed I think, since I felt the rear brake "stop" braking and back again. So at least the abs seems to work.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 03:07 PM

Garage
I've noticed that it's very hard to tell when it actually locks, but you can kind of feel the pulse in the pedal. Its easiest to do when I practice 45mph emergency braking. I figure it takes weight off the rear wheel so it locks much faster. I wonder if you can run the VIN and get any sort of mileage readings? Or visit a place where its had service and try to detective search for different mileage readings?

Rear motorcycle damage

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Sargent. I'll ask next time I'll go make the maintenance. On another note, the tires are Road winner. Is that the original tires? They are still ok, so how much km they can take. Since the bike ''have'' 5000 km, is it possible they are the original set?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 10:43 PM

Garage
I'm pretty sure the IRC Roadwinners are the stock tires. My rear was past dead at around 4500 miles. Probably because I failed to maintain tire pressure properly (my front was at 12 and my rear at 22 when they changed my tires, woops) I bought Pilot Streets and they have been fantastic. No strips on my tires and they have had great wet grip. Would absolutely recommend. I now check my tires weekly and run 28/32. I dont think the stock ones were THAT bad. Keep em till they're dead if you just commute, get Pilot Streets if you want the best mix of commute and race, and get the Rossi's if you want a race tire and dont mind the poor lifespan.

Rear motorcycle damage

The Following User Says Thank You to Sargent_Horse For This Useful Post:
March (05-15-2019)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page