No power to 2014 Ninja 300 SE - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

No power to 2014 Ninja 300 SE

Hey guys.

Got my bike back in 2015, have had it for 4 years now, and the fourth time taking it out of winterization (I live in toronto).

I've had no problems restarting my bike in previous years. This year is different...

Grabbed my charged battery, and hooked it up like normal. I turn the key to on and it turns on normally (not starting the bike), and about 2 seconds after the initial dash lightup, it turns off. I quickly turned the key to off and the bike flickered the neutral light for about 3 or 4 seconds before completely dying. Now there is zero power to my bike. I have rechecked that there is good contact for terminals, have checked all of the fuses visually (including the main). Bike still has zero power and am not sure what to do. (battery is fully charged)

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 08:05 AM
Veteran

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveed View Post
Hey guys.

Got my bike back in 2015, have had it for 4 years now, and the fourth time taking it out of winterization (I live in toronto).

I've had no problems restarting my bike in previous years. This year is different...

Grabbed my charged battery, and hooked it up like normal. I turn the key to on and it turns on normally (not starting the bike), and about 2 seconds after the initial dash lightup, it turns off. I quickly turned the key to off and the bike flickered the neutral light for about 3 or 4 seconds before completely dying. Now there is zero power to my bike. I have rechecked that there is good contact for terminals, have checked all of the fuses visually (including the main). Bike still has zero power and am not sure what to do. (battery is fully charged)

Thanks
A battery can be ďfully chargedĒ but still be bad. Grab a volt meter (everyone should have one even if itís a cheapo from harbor freight) and connect it to the battery to see if you have 12v or near 12v. Turn the key on and see what the voltage does. If it drops, under 10v, you need a new battery. It should only drop a little, like a half volt or so, but a quick hit of the starter will put it under a load and youíll see the voltage drop big time. It should never get under 9v as a rule of thumb, but to be honest, anything under 10.5-11v is suspect.

Seems how you never said you replaced the battery, Iíll assume itís the original 4 years old one. I would replace it, no matter what. Cheap insurance.

Track-
'13 Kawasaki Ninja 300SE - Yoshi full exhaust, PCV, Vortex rear sets, gp shift, Dunlop Q3+ (formerly Bridgestone Battlax S20 EVO), GSXR rear shock, Barnett clutch and springs, Woodcraft clip-ons, Hotbodies race plastics, Ducati steering dampener, fully safety wired, racetech ft springs and gold valve emulators, ft stainless steel brake line, EBC HH pads, more to come.

'99 Ducati 996s

Street-
Ď18 Honda Grom
'14 Yamaha TW200
'07 Yamaha FZ1

CMRA #982
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 09:07 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rttoys View Post
A battery can be ďfully chargedĒ but still be bad. Grab a volt meter (everyone should have one even if itís a cheapo from harbor freight) and connect it to the battery to see if you have 12v or near 12v. Turn the key on and see what the voltage does. If it drops, under 10v, you need a new battery. It should only drop a little, like a half volt or so, but a quick hit of the starter will put it under a load and youíll see the voltage drop big time. It should never get under 9v as a rule of thumb, but to be honest, anything under 10.5-11v is suspect.

Seems how you never said you replaced the battery, Iíll assume itís the original 4 years old one. I would replace it, no matter what. Cheap insurance.

My money is on the " BAD BATTERY "

MAY YOU LIVE AS LONG AS YOU WANT TO
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

AND WANT TO AS LONG AS YOU LIVE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 09:26 AM
Veteran

I'm gonna say the battery is toast as well.

A volt meter and the tests that Rttoys mentioned will tell you.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 09:34 AM
Veteran

To be a little more specific with battery voltage...a fully charged 12v battery should be around 12.7 volts. If it only reads 12 volts it's no good.

I tried to cut and past this chart but was not able to...

12.7 volts = 100% charged
12.45 = 75%
12.24 = 50%
12.06 = 25%
jkv45 likes this.

2014 Kawasaki Ninja 300 ABS
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 11:52 AM
Seasoned Vet

Garage
Yup, first step is to rule out a dead (but charged) battery. You might wanna check out this on how to test a motorcycle battery when the voltage is good but the engine won't start.
jkv45 likes this.

- If someone's answer is useful, consider leaving a Like or a Thanks. The motivation to give a quality response is appreciated.
- Check out

- Thanks for reading! If you want to see some interesting How-To's and tips, check out
!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Odd. Always made sure i charged my battery over the winter. Battery reads 12.65 right now and will hook up like you said and see what happens. I can also attatch my brothers battery, ( ninja 300 too) and see what happens. Will update soon.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 05:42 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iahawk View Post
To be a little more specific with battery voltage...a fully charged 12v battery should be around 12.7 volts. If it only reads 12 volts it's no good.

I tried to cut and past this chart but was not able to...

12.7 volts = 100% charged
12.45 = 75%
12.24 = 50%
12.06 = 25%

Can show me all the charged battery voltages that are out there in print. But to me, they mean absolutely NOTHING.

A battery can still show a fully charged voltage and still be bad.

What does matter is AMPERAGE and CAPCITANCE .

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 08:07 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granpooba View Post
Can show me all the charged battery voltages that are out there in print. But to me, they mean absolutely NOTHING.
Sure, itís not the be all, end all...but measuring voltage is a good place to start. Measuring high doesnít guarantee a good battery...but measuring low does guarantee a bad battery. Gotta start somewhere!

2014 Kawasaki Ninja 300 ABS
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 08:25 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iahawk View Post
Sure, itís not the be all, end all...but measuring voltage is a good place to start. Measuring high doesnít guarantee a good battery...but measuring low does guarantee a bad battery. Gotta start somewhere!

PERSONALLY I would start at the parts store, with a NEW battery.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page