Electrical Help Needed: Ninja 300 won't turn on - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Electrical Help Needed: Ninja 300 won't turn on

Hello,
I had an intermittent ignition switch issue so I replaced the ignition, removing the tank and the fairing to get the the plug for the ignition wires. When I got everything put back together there was no power when I turn the key to "on", no head lighs, no dashlights, nothing. I have gone through an checked as may connections as I could. Is there something I am missing. I tested the old ignition too which I could hot wire to make work and it did nothing either. What am I missing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 07:25 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Wimberly View Post
Hello,
I had an intermittent ignition switch issue so I replaced the ignition, removing the tank and the fairing to get the the plug for the ignition wires. When I got everything put back together there was no power when I turn the key to "on", no head lighs, no dashlights, nothing. I have gone through an checked as may connections as I could. Is there something I am missing. I tested the old ignition too which I could hot wire to make work and it did nothing either. What am I missing?

PERSONALLY Just an off the wall guess. With a number of circuits not functioning, I would be looking at fuses / circuit breakers. Or, even a totally dead battery.

This is just a general assumption for all electrical circuits.

I am not familiar with the 300 electrical circuit, but hopefully somebody else will come along that is and will be able to offer more in the way of trouble shooting your problem.
Good luck and it probably is just a simple fix.
P.S. Whatever the fix is, kindly come back and tell us about it. Seems like everybody on this forum is interested in other folks problems and how they were fixed.

MAY YOU LIVE AS LONG AS YOU WANT TO
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

AND WANT TO AS LONG AS YOU LIVE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Following User Says Thank You to Granpooba For This Useful Post:
Thomas Wimberly (04-07-2019)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Battery is at 12.8 V which is normal and has been left on a trickle charger. I also checked all the fuses and they are good. The only things I disconnected were the ignition, the fuel tank electrical line, the fuel line and the fuel tank vacuum line, if that helps anyone else.

Sorry I'm new here is there someway to update the original post with that info? Probably should have included that. Thanks for the thought. I will defiantly update the forum when I get this fixed as I couldn't find any other resource on the web about this problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 11:03 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Battery is at 12.8 V which is normal and has been left on a trickle charger. I also checked all the fuses and they are good. The only things I disconnected were the ignition, the fuel tank electrical line, the fuel line and the fuel tank vacuum line, if that helps anyone else.

Sorry I'm new here is there someway to update the original post with that info? Probably should have included that. Thanks for the thought. I will defiantly update the forum when I get this fixed as I couldn't find any other resource on the web about this problem.

I would leave this posting exactly as it is, as you are giving probably the most information that you have to offer on the subject.

I am now thinking that if the battery is good and you have checked fuses and all seem to be good. Then we may have to go back to the original problem which was an intermittent switch. BUT If you are NOT getting power to any circuit, then you have to go back to the power source, its fuse, or the ON/OFF circuit.

I am now thinking that perhaps it may not have been the switch, but maybe the connector, that the switch plugs into. Numerous things can go on in a connector such as condensation, rusty pins, loose pins, broken wires, etc. Sometimes electrical gremlins are hard to find, but sometimes they turn out to be simple fixes.

If it is not a problem, take a close look at the ignition switch connector.

Sorry, I can not offer more .

If you are anything like myself, then I know that you want this problem fixed yesterday. But, I am sure that somebody will come along with perhaps a better trouble shooting idea, thus producing a fix.

Not promising anything, but if I can find an electrical schematic the I will try tracing the circuit. I do not have a maintenance manual for the Ninja 300, but I am sure that somebody does and perhaps they can trace the circuit for you and come up with an answer.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 11:22 PM
Veteran

Just reporting back and saying that I could not really find a schematic that I could use to trace the circuit.

But thinking about your problem, in general I would be looking at the MAIN CIRCUIT FUSE, which if I am correct is in the battery box, in front of the battery.

I may be wrong as the circuit and fuses are a little foggy in my head at the present time.

Sorry ................

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

It was the main fuse. Could have swore I checked that last night... All lights seem to be normal now. Still need to put the tank on to test start but that is going to be a project for another day. Thank you so much for your help. When the bike seemed completely dead I went into panic mode and probably wasn't thinking too clearly.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 07:54 AM
Veteran

Quote:
It was the main fuse. Could have swore I checked that last night... All lights seem to be normal now. Still need to put the tank on to test start but that is going to be a project for another day. Thank you so much for your help. When the bike seemed completely dead I went into panic mode and probably wasn't thinking too clearly.

CONGRATS ................ .........

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 04:59 PM
Forum Champion

Garage
Hi guys. Sorry I was mostly MIA this weekend. So, it's not going to be helpful on this since you've already solved the issue, but... I have the service manual (note: this is not the abbreviated owner's manual, it's the shop service manual) and it has all the exploded diagrams, settings, basically everything you every needed to know about the inner workings of the Ninja 300. If that's something you're interested in having for reference, then PM me an email address and I will send it to you. It's a 617 page PDF file that weighs in at 14 MB.

It's a girl on a bike...it's Rogue!

Twitter: @Rogue_300
Blog:

Instagram: Rogue_300

Do you rock it?

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 01:40 AM Thread Starter

Well things did not go as planned... again. I got the bike back together. Turn the key and the dash lights up like it normally does. The fuel pump doesn't seem to go through its normal full pressurizing sequence. It just makes a short chirp like the bike has just been restarted. When I go to press the starter button, nothing. Doesn't even try and turn over. I did a lot of push starting and it seemed like I could smell a bit of unburnt fuel coming out the tailpipe, but the odor didn't seem as strong as I would have guessed it to be if it were a regularly carburated engine. My only though is I got air in the injectors and the bike senses that and wont even try. I have checked the starter fuse, fuel injector fuse, the battery is fine, have tried starting in neutral and in gear. What am I missing? Many thanks in advance to anyone with suggestions.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 05:55 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Well things did not go as planned... again. I got the bike back together. Turn the key and the dash lights up like it normally does. The fuel pump doesn't seem to go through its normal full pressurizing sequence. It just makes a short chirp like the bike has just been restarted. When I go to press the starter button, nothing. Doesn't even try and turn over. I did a lot of push starting and it seemed like I could smell a bit of unburnt fuel coming out the tailpipe, but the odor didn't seem as strong as I would have guessed it to be if it were a regularly carburated engine. My only though is I got air in the injectors and the bike senses that and wont even try. I have checked the starter fuse, fuel injector fuse, the battery is fine, have tried starting in neutral and in gear. What am I missing? Many thanks in advance to anyone with suggestions.

It is just to early and I am just to tired to be thinking about this, but here is a crazy off the wall guess.

What about your kick stand safety switch. Could it be dirty or sticking, telling other circuits that it is down, no matter what position it is in ? Thus, not allowing the starting circuit to do its thing ?

As, I said, just an early morning thought ...............

Tags
ignition electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page