Fuel Pump not priming, bike won't start - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Fuel Pump not priming, bike won't start

Hi Everyone,
I've done a ton of searching but can't seem to find anything that relates to my particular situation. It's a 2013 ABS model. The bike sat for about a month as I bought another bike. It was running fine before that. When I turn the key, everything lights up and the engine will turn over when I hit the starter, but there is no sound of the fuel pump priming and the bike won't start. (yes, the kill switch is off). When I release the starter, the check engine light flashes but no codes are thrown.
I charged the battery overnight and it does the same thing. We have tried starting with the clutch in/out, kickstand up/down, neutral/in gear, etc. so I don't think the sensors are to blame as I imagine it wouldn't even turn over if they were faulty. We've checked all the fuses and they appear to be good.

Any ideas as to what this could be? I am at a complete loss.
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 10:10 PM
Veteran

Garage
Did you check for gas in the tank? Sitting for a month is no big deal, so it has to be something stupid, if it ran before.

Track-
'13 Kawasaki Ninja 300SE - Yoshi full exhaust, PCV, Vortex rear sets, gp shift, Dunlop Q3+ (formerly Bridgestone Battlax S20 EVO), GSXR rear shock, Barnett clutch and springs, Woodcraft clip-ons, Hotbodies race plastics, Ducati steering dampener, fully safety wired, racetech ft springs and gold valve emulators, ft stainless steel brake line, EBC HH pads, more to come.

'99 Ducati 996s

Street-
Ď18 Honda Grom
'14 Yamaha TW200
'07 Yamaha FZ1

CMRA #982
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Yes, it has a full tank. We went and tested with a multimeter yesterday. The battery and fuses are fine. The connector to the fuel pump seems to be getting full power so we're thinking it may be a dead fuel pump. Anybody have any other ideas?
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 02:24 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codeman View Post
Hi Everyone,
I've done a ton of searching but can't seem to find anything that relates to my particular situation. It's a 2013 ABS model. The bike sat for about a month as I bought another bike. It was running fine before that. When I turn the key, everything lights up and the engine will turn over when I hit the starter, but there is no sound of the fuel pump priming and the bike won't start. (yes, the kill switch is off). When I release the starter, the check engine light flashes but no codes are thrown.
I charged the battery overnight and it does the same thing. We have tried starting with the clutch in/out, kickstand up/down, neutral/in gear, etc. so I don't think the sensors are to blame as I imagine it wouldn't even turn over if they were faulty. We've checked all the fuses and they appear to be good.

Looks like you have done your homework and isolated the problem to the fuel pump.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 02:41 PM
Seasoned Vet

Garage
How many miles do you have on your bike?

MRA Windscreen,Yosh CF Slip-On,Fender Eliminator,Bar Ends,Rear Spools,Exhaust Hanger,Oil Filler Cap,CF Seat Accent,OEM Seat Cowl,ZX3-R Stickers,CF Air Box Covers,Removed Passenger Pegs,Pro-Tek Reservoir Covers,Driven Gas Cap,CF Chain/Hugger Guard,Battery Tender Pigtail,Tank Guard,Sportisi Exhaust Cowl,GPR V4 Stabilizer,Blaster X Tail Light,Bar Risers,JT 15T Sprocket, BKMOTO Projectors,RSV C5 Levers,Gear Indicator,Ohlin's Rear Shock,CF Headlight Cowl,SS Frame Plugs,CF Sprocket Cover,
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 03:55 PM

Garage
I have the exact same problem with my bike I just changed out the fuel pump and it still won't start.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codeman View Post
Hi Everyone,

Is the bike in Neutral, and Do you have the KICK STAND UP????

Strategic Leaning beats higher CC's any day. Be content with what you have.[/COLOR] Modifications:
K&N air & oil Filter. Shell T-6 5w40 oil Synthetic. 15T sprocket. 12 volt outlet with 1 amp usb port. EBC Brakes FA197HH (front only). ATE 706302 Original Super Blue Racing DOT 4 Brake Fluid.
Michelin Pilot Power 2CT Tires front rear
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 08:12 PM

but seriously, check the 2 fuses that are green, 30amp fuses. May have blew a fuse.
Not 1 of the fuses in the compartment, but one of the green fuses. its under the ecu

Strategic Leaning beats higher CC's any day. Be content with what you have.[/COLOR] Modifications:
K&N air & oil Filter. Shell T-6 5w40 oil Synthetic. 15T sprocket. 12 volt outlet with 1 amp usb port. EBC Brakes FA197HH (front only). ATE 706302 Original Super Blue Racing DOT 4 Brake Fluid.
Michelin Pilot Power 2CT Tires front rear
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 11:44 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaVey420 View Post
I have the exact same problem with my bike I just changed out the fuel pump and it still won't start.
Have you checked for power at the pump electrical connector?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 05:09 AM
Veteran

Garage
Hey

Have you checked the relays. it is mostly the black box under the seat

T&R,
Lemuel Dias

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page