Uncle broke my rear brake - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Uncle broke my rear brake

Let my brother ride my bike, who gave my bike to my uncle to ride a little. He dropped it and my rear brake broke. I'm so pissed off I can't think straight right now.

I have the 2015 Ninja 300 ABS version. Please take a look at this picture and tell me what I have to do to fix this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170908_190055 (Large).jpg (288.6 KB, 43 views)
post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 07:26 PM
Veteran

replace the rear set
The Following User Says Thank You to jrshooter For This Useful Post:
r4ge (09-08-2017)
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 07:32 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrshooter View Post
replace the rear set
As stated above but in the mean time duck tape and zip ties until you get the parts.

2018 Husqvarna Vitpilen 401
2016 CCM GP450
2015 Kawasaki Ninja 300
2014 Ural Gear Up
1994 Harley-Davidson FXSTS Springer Softtail
1991 Harley-Davidson XLH Hugger 883
The Following User Says Thank You to ichbinbier For This Useful Post:
r4ge (09-08-2017)
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback. I am looking at these ones (sorry you will have to copy/paste, doesn't let me post links due to my post count): fortnine.ca/en/yoshimura-rearset-brackets

Will these work? Anything I need to be aware of?
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 08:58 PM
Seasoned Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by r4ge View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I am looking at these ones (sorry you will have to copy/paste, doesn't let me post links due to my post count): fortnine.ca/en/yoshimura-rearset-brackets

Will these work? Anything I need to be aware of?
Those don't replace the rearsets, they just move them. You need to replace it.

Zaph - Retired racer - Race Bike [
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
] - Pics [
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
] [
]
No longer present here - Find Zaph42 @ ninjette.org
The Following User Says Thank You to Zaph For This Useful Post:
r4ge (09-09-2017)
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 11:13 PM
Seasoned Vet

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by r4ge View Post
I have the 2015 Ninja 300 ABS version. Please take a look at this picture and tell me what I have to do to fix this.
Sorry to hear that. I'd be really pissed if that happened to me. It's a reminder to the rest of us why motorcycles shouldn't ever be lent to someone you haven't seen riding before.

Anyway, if I were in your place, I would just buy one of these aftermarket rearsets on Ebay in whatever color you liked best. Functionality wise, all of them are nicer than stock (in my opinion, although perhaps more quirky) and adjustable. Plus they are much, much cheaper. And of course, they include a mounting position for the rear brake piston. Personally, the one's I have and like are these (Ebay).

If you sell your OEM left side rearset (presumed it is in good condition), you can probably get back most of what you paid for the aftermarket rearsets. If I remember correctly, my aftermarket rearset cost around 130$ (US) and I sold each side rearset for 160$ (each). So it was one of those profitable upgrades to boot.

- If someone's answer is useful, consider leaving a Like or a Thanks. The motivation to give a quality response is appreciated.
- Check out

- Thanks for reading! If you want to see some interesting How-To's and tips, check out
!
The Following User Says Thank You to Gables_Ninja For This Useful Post:
r4ge (09-09-2017)
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 12:53 AM Thread Starter

I was actually looking at ebay ones as well but wasn't sure if I should buy them. All the ones at popular Canadian retail stores are $400+...seems a little steep for a small part when the whole bike cost me $3800. I don't really care if they're quirky....as long as they work.

I think I will buy the exact same ones that you bought.

Thanks for the help
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

I ordered the part but since it's from China...it's gonna take a while to get here. Might take as long as November.

I was wondering if I could just take the two pieces to a welder to join together? Problem is one welder says steel does not crack like that, and he doesn't have the rod to join this material.

What about drilling two holes and joining the pieces with a metal fastner?

Or should I try gorilla glue or something?

Hopefully someone with more experience can give some advice. I don't see how I can cable tie or duck tape them together...there's no way it'll hold when I push the brake pedal.

Thanks again
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 05:19 PM
Seasoned Vet

It's cast aluminum, so it won't weld. If it does, it won't hold for long.

You can drill a few holes and just zip tie it to hold it in place, but you won't be able to use your rear brake.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 10:10 PM
Seasoned Vet

Garage
Honestly, it isn't crazy to ride without a rear brake. It's extremely imprudent in my opinion, but many do so purposely. You could simply remove the brake pedal, ziptie the pieces in place, and ride cautiously in the meanwhile.

Regarding brackets, repairs, etc...forget about it. It's not worth it. They won't work for long, if at all, and is simply a waste of your time and money.

For an expensive part like that, if you were in the US it would take around two weeks. I'm not sure if it takes longer to Canada. Given the nature of the item, and that the seller doesn't want you to scam him, you can rest assured that it isn't your typical untracked slow package.

- If someone's answer is useful, consider leaving a Like or a Thanks. The motivation to give a quality response is appreciated.
- Check out

- Thanks for reading! If you want to see some interesting How-To's and tips, check out
!

Tags
brake

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page