Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

Ninja 300 TOP SPEED!

227K views 394 replies 215 participants last post by  cadd 
#1 ·
Yes you heard right. I know its dangerous to go fast on public roads but what is the fastest anyone has taken their 300? ;) ON a closed course in Mexico of course.

#6 ·
Somewhere on YouTube there is a review that sounds reputable where the reviewer said the GPS verified speed of the 300r was 103 mph. I know there are all kinds of claims for the 250r, but I think the actual top speed of that is 95.5 mph. I hesitate to mention these numbers because there are people who swear the 250r goes 115 mph.

What is of much more interest to me is what the revs are at an indicated 82 mph which, if the speedometer is about the same as the 250r, is the normal middle-lane commuting speed on I-35 where I live. The 250r was really winding out..too much I felt...and the suspension was kind of squirrely compared to the 650r at that speed. The 6th gear in the 300 should allow you to cruise at a lower RPM...say 9,000 at an indicated 82mph which would be fine and not so hard on the engine. I hear conflicting reports on how the suspension on the 300 has improved. Guess I'll just have to buy one and try it out.

#11 ·
I am planning on doing a top speed video soon if I can convince the police to let me. You would be surprised how cool and reasonable cops are if you are polite and reasonable first :)

I had two Sheriffs shut down a road once for me to top out my 600RR! 162mph on radar

I may have stretched the truth a bit when I told them I am a motorcycle journalist/video logger reviewing the bike.

#23 ·
Very daring for the rolling roadblock that is i4

Sent from my LG-P999 using Motorcycle.com Free App

#25 ·
The state police weren't out in force? Lol try 64 east towards Norfolk/VA beach it's like cannonball run out there

Sent from my LG-P999 using Motorcycle.com Free App

#27 ·
Top speed reality

When you consider that the Ninja 300 is barely 18 cubic inches, made up of two 148 cc cylinders, the numbers are amazing. For years the "ton" - (100 mph) barrier was a challenge for the 650 cc twins (40 cu. in.) we rode in the 1960's & 1970's. Yes, old(er) guy here, but I remember my 1973 RD 350 being able to keep up with the 650 twins back in the day. Along came the multi-cylinder bikes and today's 600's are indeed faster than the old twins. I really enjoy my 2013 300 because it reminds me of the 250, 350 & 400 twins, albeit with better technology and almost twice the economy. These bikes are destined to have a really good run and set the bar higher for the "other" manufacturers - can't wait to see what's next.

#29 · (Edited)
(Top) speeds in gears: stock and 15T countershaft spkt.

At the 13K redline with stock tires/gearing in first through sixth the 300 goes: 38 / 58 / 73 / 89 / 102 / 120 m.p.h., so . . not allowing for tire expansion, 100+ in 5th is very attainable. If you HAVE to see "round" numbers, a 15-tooth sprocket yields: 40 - 60 - 75 - 90+ at 13,000 in the first four gears. Fifth gear at 12.5K = 105 mph and, like most six-speed automobiles; shift to sixth and you slow down. This, I know from trying; been there, done all that. Unless you have a tailwind and/or are on a steep downgrade, it takes more power to go any faster. Though these bikes are amazing, "top end" is not my reason for buying one.

#33 ·
I've reached 175km/h on a straight, flat road, with a little bit of wind, and hugging my baby as much as possible, I think I could squeeze maybe 178 out of her with a little bit more road. A friend has gotten to 180 on a downhill slope, and he seems to think the speedo wont go past 180 as he believes he was still accelerating.

#34 ·
Even though redline is 13,000, I read in MCN the rev limiter is set at 12,500. I haven't tried it though. An indicated 90 is as fast as I've been. I plan to head over to Texas Toll Road 130 soon. The legal speed limit there is 85 mph, which means probably 90 on the speedo. I like to round up, so if I can find an empty road and have good weather, I will try 100 mph. The problem on that road is wild hogs come out of nowhere and cross the road in herds so there is always a risk at those speeds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.