Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

Howlinhoss Track Addiction and Build Thread

53K views 202 replies 27 participants last post by  Rttoys 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

I have had my 300 for almost 2 years now and I have been primarily riding on the streets. This year I decided to take my bike to the track and needless to say I am addicted. I am trying to do at minimum 1 track day a month until the local tracks close their gates in October. This summer I have only done 3 track days but it is the most fun I have ever had on my bike.

My bank account hates me but my girlfriend loves that I am not out on the streets as much on weekdays. One track day every few weeks and an easy weekend ride satisfy all my riding cravings.

Ok back on topic, I will be posting pics of my bike build and some track photos/videos. I will keep this thread updated as the track season goes on.

#2 · (Edited)
The Bike:

Woodcraft Frame Sliders
TechSpec Tank Grips

Nissin 4 Pot Front Brake Caliper
SV Racing Caliper Adapter
Spielger Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Galfer Front Brake Pads

SV Racing Adjustable Rear Sets
Yoshimura Rearset Brackets
Yoshimura R-77 Full Carbon Exhaust System
Area P Tuner
K&N Air Filter
Diablo Rosso II Tires
Speigler Stainless Steel Brake Lines
EBC Rear Brake Pads

Woodcraft Clip Ons
Woodcraft Clip On Spacers
Woodcraft Weighted Bar Ends
Zero Gravity Corsa Windscreen
Driven Racing Grippy Grips

Ohlins KA841 Rear Shock

Nissin 14mm Front Brake Master Cylinder
The2Wheels Shorty Levers

GSXR Cartridge Retrofit
Healtech Gear Indicator

#6 ·
Very nice! And the track layout seems to be next to ideal for one's first few track days- long, wide turns.

I did my first ever track day a few days ago as well. Loved it. DId it on a 300 as well- not mine, I rented it from track day organizers (Penguin Racing School for you east coast peeps interested in track days in the future, I highly recommend them). as I do not have a trailer yet (driving to pick mine up later today actually, specifically with future track days in mind).
Thompson Speedway Motorsports Track, where I went, is a little different. A couple of very tight turns with very late apexes. Still a very good track for a beginner like me.

Based on your pictured you did a lot better than me. On the seat I felt like Mark Marquez might want to stop by and take some notes. When I saw the pictures later I was nearly vertical lol. Oh well, practice makes perfect, it's a learning curve and mine is not necessarily very steep generally speaking.

What speeds were you hitting on the straight? It seems to be very long.

Good luck with your future track days, keep us informed.

I did much better than myself

#7 ·
Very nice! And the track layout seems to be next to ideal for one's first few track days- long, wide turns.
So NCCAR was a really nice track. Freshly paved, fast course with high corner speeds especially in the clockwise direction.

Shenandoah on the other hand is full of sharp tight technical turns. A really nice circuit for the 300. I got dusted in 2 spots where there are straights and I was on on the tails of the big cc bikes in the turns. It was really fun to chase these big bikes in the turns. There were many occasions where I could have passed but in the novice group you cannot pass in the turns.

I did my first ever track day a few days ago as well. Loved it. DId it on a 300 as well- not mine, I rented it from track day organizers (Penguin Racing School for you east coast peeps interested in track days in the future, I highly recommend them). as I do not have a trailer yet (driving to pick mine up later today actually, specifically with future track days in mind).
That is nice you can rent track bikes. That alleviates the need to prep a track bike. I have another street bike so I am considering putting the 300 on track duty and making the full conversion.

Based on your pictured you did a lot better than me. On the seat I felt like Mark Marquez might want to stop by and take some notes. When I saw the pictures later I was nearly vertical lol. Oh well, practice makes perfect, it's a learning curve and mine is not necessarily very steep generally speaking.
Haha I know exactly what you mean by feeling like Marquez. Your in a big pack of bikes and you feel like you are in MotoGP... well Moto3. Interestingly, last track day I was getting some nice lean angle but after our session one of the coach riders pulled me aside after following me and told me to hang off the bike a bit more to decrease lean angle! I kind of get caught up thinking I want to drag knee but really knee down isnt always beneficial.

What speeds were you hitting on the straight? It seems to be very long.
I am not sure what speeds I was hitting on the straight. As you can see I taped up my speedo. Reason being I want to focus on my vision and spotting my turn in point, apex, and exit. Racing towards a corner after a straight and looking down at the speedo is distraction I wanted to eliminate.

#8 ·
The build is looking great. I see a couple things in might have to add to my wish list, like that beautiful front caliper.

Yeah, like you, when I get on a racetrack, the day leaves me buzzing for weeks, and I really don't need as much road riding. Thus half the time I don't even have a road legal bike in my garage.

#13 ·
I set both front and rear at 28 hot. This psi worked well for this track and how I was riding. It was 95 out and the track was really hot. They stuck like glue!

Regarding the hugger, it is a hot bodies rear hugger. The previous owner included the hugger with the sale so I kept it on. The plastic is really brittle and it cracks easy near the mounting bolts.

#11 ·
Nice!! that's exactly how my Rosso II's looked like after my track day! I only have it on the rear and stock front but regardless, it held up really nicely and stuck like glue, warmed up so quick! I will be doing the brake caliper swap in the next 2 weeks, already got everything ordered. how did you feel the nissin 14mm MC compared to the stock?

#14 ·
14 mm MC has better initial bite compared to stock. I also tried a 16 mm but that was way too much and I had little feed back at the lever, it was completely wooden in feel. I might eventually try a radial MC but I am happy with my current set up.

Regarding the upgrade, I would suggest you don't change everything at once. Start off with the caliper, brake pads, and fluid. Then if that is not enough or does not feel right try ss brake lines. Finally try a larger MC.

I know that requires a lot of brake bleeding, however progressively upgrading each part allows you to feel the difference between each set up.

#15 ·
It is an Alpinestars SP-1 suit. I got it used off Ebay for $400 + shipping. It has some small scuffs from the original owner but otherwise it is in really good condition. I got it for a steal since that suit new is like $899.

The suit is really nice and I would suggest buying one if you can find it used for cheap.

#17 ·
Thinking about getting the Motion Pro Rev2 kit. Last track day even with the larger throttle tube I would have to reposition my hand to be able to get full throttle. If I didn't reposition i would have to drop my elbow in a very awkward position.

Anyone have the Rev2 kit?

#18 ·
I put one on the CBR600RR was a PITA because of the way the throttle bodys are on that bike. On that bike I put the progressive reel on. which is nice, because it keeps the stock throttle to 40% then jumps to 60/80/100 real fast. The benefit of that, allows great maintenance throttle thru a curve and then allows a quick throttle once you start standing it up.
But since there is low danger of spinning up your rear in a curve on a 300, I am just going to put the 1/4 throttle reel in it. It is a very different feel. when you install it, put the biggest one in first. Bring all the reels to your next track day and switch them out each session (3 min or less) you might like the 1/4 or progressive the best. The guys are at Motion pro are great. They even made me up a new set of custom cables for the Honda, a -3/-5mm because I am anal/OCD and sent it next day free of charge!
Also you will have to buy a separate start/stop switch.
One more thing I think I read you put a new MC on and I don't remember if you had clip-ons but your bars may end up being too short they overall length of the rev2 is 6'' plus 7/8" for the start/stop. So basically if you take off your stock throttle control and have 7" of clear space your good.
Oh, one other installation note. on the inside of the throttle tube about a half inch from the end is a slight ridge designed to take up throttle tube play. On the woodcraft clip-ons, nice and smooth. Bent it in a crash and put a vortex replacement bar on. just a hair thicker than the woodcraft, so I had to dremel out the little ridge to keep the throttle from hanging up. This may or may not be an issue for you.
-T

#21 · (Edited)
My fleet (minus the CBR 600RR which is my brothers). However, when we meet up for rides/track days we like to switch bikes keep things new.

Next big project is to get my FZ07 track ready. I already have cartridge kits retrofitted in the forks. Just need to find a nice triple adjustable shock for the rear.

#24 ·
1) Super comfortable for longer rides.
2) The low end torque is perfect for the streets. No issues on the highway either.
3) Very flickable and easy to ride.
4) The torque is addicting and makes it very fun to ride. When shifting hard through the gears it likes to wheelie which makes me feel like a hooligan.
5) If your doing alot of highway riding you will want a screen. Wind blasts to the head and chest is tiresome after a while.
6) No need to remove fairings for oil changes and regular maintenance.
7) Killer looks and with a unique sounding twin engine.
8) Overall it is a great bike and I really love mine.

#26 ·
I was thinking about it but am going to hold off until I get faster.

As it is I need to be carrying more corner speed and work on my smoothness/lines.

Next mod for sure is the Rev2 quick turn kit from Motion Pro unless I find a better way to hold the grips to hit WOT without repositioning my hands.

#27 ·
I think I'm going to add a motion pro quick turn throttle to my build list also. Mostly because the power is so low that the reduction of resolution isn't going to be a problem.

It's a mod I decided not to do on my 675R. The bike has a lot of power, and I didn't want reduce the angle of throttle control. The bike needs delicate accuracy of throttle and making it a quick turn throttle makes it harder to control power on corner exits.

#31 · (Edited)
Didn't have time to install the Rev2 kit but I got all my electrical work done on the new start/stop switch.

You need to either remove the OEM wire pins from the connector body and place them on the Motion Pro start/stop wires or cut and strip the OEM wires below the connector and solder the wires/connector onto the new switch. I chose the latter.

Here is the modified Motion Pro switch with oem connector.

Almost done. Needed to test before buttoning up the switch.

Finished product.

I tested my modified start/stop switch and the bike fired up as planned. However it took some planning and soldering.

Had to figure out which color wires did what in the OEM start/stop switch and throttle housing.

Tools required for this mod.

Don't mind the left hand chicken scratch but I had to take notes.

#32 ·
Installed the Rev2 kit yesterday.

Here are the parts ready to be installed.

First the OEM throttle housing/tube/grip had to be removed

Second the OEM throttle cables are removed from the throttle body and cables removed from the bike

Finally the new kit is installed

Note: The throttle cables are routed along a different path than OEM and the throttle cables go under the bars. Additionally, I had some clearance issues at full left/right so I will make some adjustments later this week.

Ride report will be done in a week or so.

#33 ·
Well I adjusted my woodcraft clip ons and all my controls to take care of the clearance issues, it is a tight fit but it all worked out. Also, I adjusted the throttle cables. The rev2 kit comes with very handy and easy adjustment barrels. No tools needed.

After making the adjustments I took the bike for a spin. Hitting WOT is so easy now. Can't wait to try it on the track.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.