Howlinhoss Track Addiction and Build Thread - Page 18 - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum
 38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #171 of 178 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 01:29 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by howlinhoss View Post
I wouldn't say that. I probably went overboard on the bike but I did set up the bike to my liking. There are guys running almost stock bikes who are very very fast.

IMO the best mods have been rearsets, clip ons, suspension front and rear, tires, ss lines, upgraded master cylinder and pads. Bodywork is nice too since I am not afraid of wrecking stock plastics.
Thanks Howlin. How much did the suspension upgrade run you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #172 of 178 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Post Whore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by amonsa View Post
Thanks Howlin. How much did the suspension upgrade run you?
Rear: Ohlins - for best price ask Mike from @ridersdiscount

Forks: cartridge retrofit was about $400.

You should try correct springs/emulators and the gsxr shock. Many people have success with that set up.
post #173 of 178 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 08:08 PM
Veteran

No idea how I was missing this thread before... but glad I found it now. Awesome read @howlinhoss. I did my first track day a couple of weeks ago and have been constantly thinking of a few mods I want to do, got a lot of ideas from here, I did just get a set of front ss lines and new pads

Bike: 2013 Ninja 300 (non-ABS). Two brothers slip on exhaust; 43 rear sprocket with DID chain; Woodcraft clip-ons; Area 22 rearsets; shorty levers; Corbin seat; Rear spools; Ebay fairings; TST Industries rear fender eliminator; K&N air filter.
Truck: 2011 Black Avalanche LTZ. Trail Ready Front bumper, 2.25" leveling kit by Ready Lift, Corsa Touring exhaust, K&N air intake, KMC XD Bully wheels in 285/70/17 Toyo ATs, full tune with AFM/DOD delete. Alpine X-009GM with front camera.

post #174 of 178 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 09:09 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by howlinhoss View Post
Rear: Ohlins - for best price ask Mike from @ridersdiscount

Forks: cartridge retrofit was about $400.

You should try correct springs/emulators and the gsxr shock. Many people have success with that set up.
Hey man, hate to be a pain, but could you give me some more details on what the cartridge retofit entails? Is there a specific vendor you used?
post #175 of 178 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Post Whore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by amonsa View Post
Hey man, hate to be a pain, but could you give me some more details on what the cartridge retofit entails? Is there a specific vendor you used?
No worries we are all here to help (and troll) each other. I used a local suspension guy named Matt Patton in the Washington DC area. I dropped off my forks and he retrofitted older gsxr cartridges into our conventional forks. His kit has preload, rebound and compression however compression is accessed in the axle well of the forks. He actually does kits for the fz07, r3, SV650 and more. Very affordable and functional option. If you google his user name Pattonme and retrofit you will find alot of info. Let me know if your interested I can put you guys in touch.

Another option for retrofits is Zoran at TWF Racing. His kit is more expensive but he goes with separate compression and rebound legs.

If you do not want to go the retrofit route buy a Andreani, Ohlins, KTech or Matris kit and install yourself or have a suspension shop do it. If you go with Ohlins or Andreani I recommend David from FastBikeIndustries. He can install and source the kit as he is a US distributor.

Last edited by howlinhoss; 09-13-2016 at 09:46 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to howlinhoss For This Useful Post:
amonsa (09-14-2016)
post #176 of 178 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Post Whore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulgr View Post
That's all I use and the initial bite and feel is good, not as great as on my bigger bikes but it's more than adequate. I don't feel like I'm braking as hard as I could and the brakes are definitely good enough to lift the rear. It has adequate feel when trail braking and I don't experience any brake fade (but my local track only has 2 hard braking sections)
Well.... I cleaned/deglazed the rotors and put the stock caliper back on with the Vesrah RJL pads. I got a real good bleed thanks to bleed bolt on the Brembo MC. Initial thoughts....the lever feel and travel is much better than I expected but I need still need to make some adjustments.

I will do some test runs down the road and the real test will be on the track in October. I am anticipating great results!

I will miss that beautiful golden caliper though!
vulgr likes this.
post #177 of 178 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Post Whore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoAteMySoup View Post
No idea how I was missing this thread before... but glad I found it now. Awesome read @howlinhoss. I did my first track day a couple of weeks ago and have been constantly thinking of a few mods I want to do, got a lot of ideas from here, I did just get a set of front ss lines and new pads
You should check out the track build threads of Zaph, Vulgr, and PM17. I got alot of ideas, guidance, and inspiration from them.
PM17 and WhoAteMySoup like this.
post #178 of 178 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Post Whore

Garage
Finally recovered from my weekend at the track. Got to watch Team ProMotions 300 race. Here is some on board footage of one of the fast guys. Enjoy.

https://youtu.be/IyodTiL-kD8

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page