Ninja 300; long-term reliability? - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Ninja 300; long-term reliability?

I just got my 300 almost 2 months ago. Since then I've put almost 2200 miles on it. I did a 300 mile on Sunday alone. Witch got me thinking?..? How many miles can this thing go before rebuilding or needing major work? I know it depends on how you ride it. Easy on it I'm sure you'll get a good # out of it. I ride a lot with guys on 600 and 1000 in the mountains in Utah so I'm always running it 12000 in every gear before shifting into the last gear pinned at 85 to100 most of the time. Can the guys that ride hard chime in and me know if I'm crazy going on weekend rides that long. And how many miles are on your bike what you have had to do to it. Not counting mods or tires,chain,sprockets exc.....I think just reading other posts the highest I've seen is 13000 but don't if they had any major problems.

Last edited by Spacep0d; 06-09-2015 at 02:35 AM. Reason: Clarifying title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 04:05 PM
Seasoned Vet

Location: Crescent City Fl formerly Key West Fl -Formerly Detroit - Formerly Canada
Garage
As of this moment I have 12,928 miles. None of them babied I crank it to red line quite often and outside of the steering head bearings going out I have had no repairs to do.

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 06:32 PM
Seasoned Vet

Garage
Define major work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Racing AFM #725
Thanks to my 2017 Sponsors:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
| Armour Bodies |
|
|
| Forcefield Armor |
|
| Incipio/Incase |
|
| Matrix Racing Concepts | ODI Grips | OGIO | Outlaw Racing/Pit Posse Motorsports | Shorai Inc. |
|
|

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 07:38 PM
Post Whore

Ching, here's a poll that shows how many miles each member has on their bike. Feel free to vote.

How many miles do you have on your little Ninja?
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 09:30 PM
Seasoned Vet

6k miles on mine, most miles are constantly redlining through the gears and downshifting while riding twisty mountain roads (the rest is 50% cruising town, 50% freeway riding at 80-90mph). My sprockets look brand new, no visible deformation of the teeth. Chain is fine too, no play in the links. I know you didn't ask about those things, but I just wanted to mention that riding hard doesn't necessarily trash those components earlier than normal. I clean/lube my chain and sprockets every few hundred miles or after they get wet or look really dirty.

Change your oil every 3k, keep the chain and sprockets clean and lubed, keep the clutch cable adjusted properly so it doesn't slip, rev match your downshifts correctly, and don't bounce the engine off the rev limiter or rev it up while unloaded (in neutral or with the clutch held in), and you shouldn't have any major problems barring a manufacturing defect.

White 2014 Ninja 300 SE ABS: Pirelli Diablo Rosso IIs (stock sizes), Power Commander V (fuel and ignition), K&N filter, Yoshimura R-77 carbon fiber full exhaust, adjustable rearsets, 15w fork oil
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 10:24 PM
Seasoned Vet

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chingwow View Post
I just got my 300 almost 2 months ago. Since then I've put almost 2200 miles on it. I did a 300 mile on Sunday alone. Witch got me thinking?..? How many miles can this thing go before rebuilding or needing major work? I know it depends on how you ride it. Easy on it I'm sure you'll get a good # out of it. I ride a lot with guys on 600 and 1000 in the mountains in Utah so I'm always running it 12000 in every gear before shifting into the last gear pinned at 85 to100 most of the time. Can the guys that ride hard chime in and me know if I'm crazy going on weekend rides that long. And how many miles are on your bike what you have had to do to it. Not counting mods or tires,chain,sprockets exc.....I think just reading other posts the highest I've seen is 13000 but don't if they had any major problems.
You're a candidate for the iron butt membership.

If the 250s are any indication you can get well over 100k miles with some revalving along the way.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawernator View Post
Define major work
Like new top end maybe bottom end,clutch thing like that. New to sport bikes but own lots of dirt bikes..with a 300 dirt bike they r out so much you rebuild a lot. That's why I ask
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersport View Post
You're a candidate for the iron butt membership.

If the 250s are any indication you can get well over 100k miles with some revalving along the way.
Lol iron butt patch that's a good one. It felt that way last Sunday. I'm new to sports bikes that's why I have the question..thanks for the butt patch
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadd View Post
Ching, here's a poll that shows how many miles each member has on their bike. Feel free to vote.

How many miles do you have on your little Ninja?
Thanks for the info..looks like that thread is a pissing match over break in and other things. But from the looks of it no one really has lots of miles yet..??...
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 11:53 PM
Seasoned Vet

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chingwow View Post
Thanks for the info..looks like that thread is a pissing match over break in and other things. But from the looks of it no one really has lots of miles yet..??...
i think there plenty of people with over 30k-50k but they could be just not having an real issue to report or they dont report it here.

You can check ninjette.org for more info. Ninjette has a lot of seasoned and experience owners.
The Following User Says Thank You to Supersport For This Useful Post:
cadd (06-09-2015)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page