Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

Stock tires aren't THAT bad, are they?

55K views 129 replies 53 participants last post by  vandelvy 
#1 ·
Hi everyone

I've been reading everywhere how shitty the stock irc road winner tires are.
However I've been driving for 5 months now and started the twisties a few weeks ago. I've been leaning almost to the max. (see the chicken strips) and I've never felt unsure about the grip. However I've ordered the Battlax S20 Evo
tires and I'll put them on at the 6000km service (currently at 4.7km)$

Two questions: Does anyone else feel comfortable on the roadwinners? Any pictures of roadwinners with no chicken strips at all?

And to people with other tires, especially the S20 Evo, how big was the difference???

Alex

See less See more
#5 ·
I ran mine to the edge no problems no chicken strips. But I experimented with tire pressures and found what was comfortable for me. I think I ended up at 27 front 28 rear. I just adjusted tire pressure a little at a time and checked cold and hot pressures until I got the build up I was looking for.

#6 ·
I like to be on the best tires I can afford. There's a lot riding on them. Plus, better tires don't just offer better wet/dry grip but faster warm-up time and less unsprung weight, with less rotational mass. This means better acceleration and braking.

Plus, if for some reason a lack of grip contributes to any crash, I personally want peace of mind knowing I had the best tires I could afford. Good, 21st century tires aren't even expensive, especially for our little Ninjas.

Fast people or those who take more risks sometimes make the error of extrapolating their personal skill or risk to the adequacy of sub-par tires, but on-balance, that same rider is better-off with better tires just as they're better off with proper tire inflation, better suspension/proper setup, etc. In other words, Rossi is still faster than all of us on IRCs, but DR2s are still better and for a few reasons mentioned prior.

#33 ·
Rossi is still faster than all of us on IRCs, but DR2s are still better and for a few reasons mentioned prior.

What about me on the DR2 and Rossi on the IRCs?

#9 ·
I think the stock tires were sufficient, never expected them to be great compared to the tires that should be on super sports. For commuting, I think they are a good tire with good tire wear. However, I did put on a set of Pirelli DR2 when the stock tires needed replacing just to give them a try after reading so many great things about them. I was shocked at how much additional grip the DR2s have compared to the OEM tire. However, I don't know if I'll put the same tire on the next time as I expect the DR2s to last about half the mileage of the oem tire. May find something better than stock, but not as aggressive as the DR2 since I use my bike primarily for commuting. Time will tell.

#10 · (Edited)
The stock tires are good if you havnt gotten spoiled by the performance tires. Will they do the job sure but the pricey tires offer other handling characteristics that the irc just don't have.

I think the DRIIs are a bit overkill for the rider thats doing mostly commute and city riding. Even if you only do 1 weekend a month for the canyons you can get some sport touring instead of the DRIIs. If you are doing a lot of canyon runs a month than DRIIs, Bt003, S20s are good choices.

#11 ·
I think the DRIIs are a bit overkill for the rider thats doing mostly commute and city riding. Even if you only do 1 weekend a month for the canyons you can get some sport touring instead of the DRIIs. If you are doing a lot of canyon runs a month than DRIIs, Bt003, S20s are good choices.
I replaced my IRCs at 8200 miles with Pirelli Sport Demons sport touring tires and was impressed with them, they were so much easier to ride that my chicken strips were down to 2-3mm after just my first mountain run. The IRCs were serviceable enough but if I were to do it over again I'd swap them out sooner, I can't say if it's because the IRCs were really bad or the Sport Demons were really good but the improvement in feel and confidence was quite noticeable after the switch.

#12 ·
I didn't have any chicken strips on the stock irc but they were very slippery and when i was leaned over that much it was very sketchy. When I upgraded to the rosso 2 it felt more stable when leaned over all the way.

#14 ·
Yeah, 'serviceable' is a good word for the IRCs, or even 'sufficient', but hell if I wanted sufficient I'd buy a Hyosung! ;)

#17 ·
I've worn out the rear stock tire. Never had any problems with grip on track or road. No chicken strips, pegs gone. Changed both to DR II. No problems on dry. Some loss of grip pushing hard in rain on track. The DR II seems to wear faster than stock on gravel roads.
I think most of us really don't need anything better than stock, but I feel a bit more relaxed on track with the Pirellis.

#22 ·
Aftermarket tires make a world of a difference. I put around 10k miles on my CBR OEM tires and when I switched to Dunlop roadsmart tires, I couldn't believe the difference when leaning over.

I believe in wearing out a tire before replacing it too, though. So I'd just take it easy if I had a new bike with OEM tires.

#23 ·
Thing is.. I don't like taking it easy. I love the twisties by now and my life to me is worth 150$ easily so I'll be replacing them at the next service :)

Think someone would buy tires with 3000 miles on them if there's still plenty of thread left? and how much would a used set of irc's pay? I'd be happy with 40$ already.

#26 ·
Kawi's OEM tires are typically decent, at best. But on a small caliber, entry level sportbike....since, let's face it, that's what 300s are.....they'll supply you with the cheapest tires they can realistically settle for that hold up just enough to last through the brief warranty period. OEM tires are most always lack luster compared to their superior models, but at least most all sportbikes use similar tires to what we all buy as replacements. Yet the 300 doesn't? Not sure what comes on the CBR250 or new R3, but most likely Kawi does so to keep pricing driven down to make them just a bit more affordable ( or profitable, however you want to look at it ). For an extra hundo on the pricetag, better shoe options are a valuable upgrade on a new bike.
I've never met a rider who swears by IRC tires, and there's good reason....they're substandard for riders who RIDE their bikes. Scooters, sure....slap on the cheapies, but a guy/gal who buys a Zuma probably aren't planning on dragging knees with it. These little Ninja's deserve better rubber just like the race class machines get factory fitted with, but unless it's negotiated at the time of purchase....they're simply deemed adequate for their respective catagory.
My ZX14 came with Battlax BT016 and I know a few guys that loved those tires. I'm a Dunlop fan, so it's Q2 for trackduty and Roadsmart2 for street. The BT016 might compare to the Q2 on a track, but all I know is that street use ate them alive under a hypersport bike. But, at least you get decent rubber when you buy a bigger bike - so if it's not directly related to keeping 300s production cost efficient, then I'm baffled as to why they chose the IRCs

#29 ·
Performance tires even sport touring tires are wasted on riders that don't lean the bike. Most new riders, a lot of commuters, and slower pace riders don't really lean/push the bike enough to actually warrant a sport profile tire. But having something a little better than the irc only benefits anyone that might need that extra oomph when you least expect it.

#27 · (Edited)
I think the upgrade path is not lost on Kawasaki and other manufacturers (to better tires), and this allows Kawasaki to keep costs down, satisfy beginning riders wobbling around for their first time, etc. As beginners improve and want more performance (or when experienced-riders ride the 300)—then better tires go on. Kawi keeps costs down and riders still have upgrade options.

Even on regular supersports or literbikes, you're often getting decent sport-touring times much of the time, though not quite as bad as the IRCs and certainly not the best tires you could get.

On every bike I've bought new, one of the first things I've done is get the best tires possible and in stock sizes, though on the R1 I reduced the rear tire a bit—from 190 to 180/55.

I have to say though...now that there's some serious competition in the lightweight sportbike class (R3, 300, CBR300R, KTM RC 390, etc.), the tires are improving just so the differences aren't so stark. IRCs left on the Ninja would start to seem cheaper when compared to the R3s stock Michelin Pilot Street tires, which have been panned by reviewers a few times in reviews I've seen/read. The 2015 300s now come with Dunlops, probably on-par with the Michelins (street-oriented, longer-life).

The KTM RC 390 comes with Metzeler tyres - 110 mm wide at the front and 150 mm at the rear. Metzeler is a Pirelli-owned brand since 1986. So, there's shared tech there. I swore by Metzeler M1 tires on my SV around 2002-3, but better tires keep coming. Ah, the life of a rider in 2015!

Apparently the CBR300R comes with IRCs too, which Honda omits in the specs list on their site (I wonder why). You can bet that they will probably upgrade those as more comparisons come in.

Here's what one reviewer wrote at HondaCBR300.com;

'Changing tires was the first thing to do on our list. So off with the stock IRC's and on with the Rear 140/70R-17 Pirelli Diablo Rosso II Tire...and the Front 110/70R-17 Pirelli Diablo Rosso II WHAT A DIFFERENCE! It totally transformed the bike from a good handling bike that can get slippery do to the oem tires to a bike that handles even quicker and sticks to the road many times better. This is probably the one single biggest improvement that can be made to the Honda CBR 300. You may be able to modify your Honda CBR 300 for faster speed but unless you can ride that power, whats the point? Get to know your Honda CBR 300 to its fullest potential...then get down and dirty and soup that baby up !.....While your friends are losing it in the corners and trying to stay in control, your CBR 300 will ride like it's on rails through the curve.'

#30 ·
Yeah but for a given-lean/same-rider, the better tires are better at...everything (except lasting longer).

The 300 is 'wasted' on beginners too, because they could be on a 250—but they're not. ;)

I look at it more as a performance ceiling which also helps at lower-performance...like a Ferrari being driven slowly. Still a Ferrari.

#31 · (Edited)
I meant the manufacturer would consider performance tires wasted on the riders i listed. I think most people should get the best tire for their situation. I don't believe everyone should get DRIIs. For the milder weekend warrior that commute daily, sport touring tires like s20s, sport demon, or Michelin pilot streets would be better options. I honestly think most 300 riders or riders in this class of bikes that don't race or track a lot would benefit from sport touring over the DRIIs since they last longer and would handle just as good - the skills of most 300 riders won't exceed it. But if cost and longevity is not an issue than by all means go with the DRIIs as they do give phenomenal grip but only if you stick them through tarmac. If you ride the freeway with them half the time than it can get costly and you're essential buying near race grade compound to go straight:confused:.

I agree with your performance analogy. You don't always needed it to have it. But you would want it to be there if and when you do need it. And its always reassuring when you have the best, the limitation isn't there to stop you.

#32 ·
I got lucky and mine was fitted with the Dunlop TT tires stock

My rear is nearly completely worn down after only 2600 miles, but I really, really loved those tires.
I've never felt anything else under the Ninja, but honestly I don't have a complaint about the ones I had. I've gotten that bike quite low, and the chicken strips are quite small.
I think I'm going to go with DRII next, and by the time they wear out I should have a SuperSport for my weekend shenanigans, and I'll fit sport touring tires to the 300 as it will be my designated commuter bike

#35 ·
Rossi would kick your butt great riders can ride to the limit on what ever tire. We can only hope to think we can. Just saying.

#36 ·
I'd say the irc tires simply won't grip after a certain speed+lean angle while someone else with much better tires and less skill could overtake rossi on such tires.

But of course the skill difference would have to be very small too!

We're not talking about the usual hobby trackracer. Hence why I said it'd be all about his skill ;)

#37 ·
Update:

I got the S20 Evo mounted and HOLY SHIT WHAT A DIFFERENCE.
The Bike just wants to lean! And I got rid of the chicken strips on the stock IRC tire before changing it.

Had to lean way harder with less sure grip and comfort on the IRC to get the chicken strips away whilst on the S20 they were gone after the first twisties!

I always measure my speed during the corners and it has risen by about 5-10km/h and I haven't fully reached the max. potential yet.
All I know is that I can keep up with a brand new R1 and a 10-years rider who has ridden from 50cc to 1000cc. The little ninja is simply faster on heavy twisties :p

I'd recommend this tire to anyone who is unsure what to buy.

Might be overkill for the average rider though....

#38 ·
Hi everyone

I've been reading everywhere how shitty the stock irc road winner tires are.
However I've been driving for 5 months now and started the twisties a few weeks ago. I've been leaning almost to the max. (see the chicken strips) and I've never felt unsure about the grip. However I've ordered the Battlax S20 Evo
tires and I'll put them on at the 6000km service (currently at 4.7km)$

Two questions: Does anyone else feel comfortable on the roadwinners? Any pictures of roadwinners with no chicken strips at all?

And to people with other tires, especially the S20 Evo, how big was the difference???

Alex
You have bigger balls than I do !!!! I have like an inch each side on the IRCs

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.