How much can a battery handle? - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Garage
How much can a battery handle?

Hey guys,

So I'm currently still using the original battery that came with the bike. I have little to no knowledge of how electricity works but I was hoping you guys can help me out with my concerns.

I currently have one battery tender quick disconnect attached to my battery. However, I have an LED underglow kit on the way, the bkmoto head light assembly, and plan on installing another quick disconnect to route to the front of my bike for a usb charger. I might just get an extension cable to route from my truck space to the front but there might be too much excess wire. The thing about my underglow kit is that I'm specially wiring it to be able to control one part of the bikes lights with one switch and the rest of the bike with another which requires me to connect 2 connectors in total to the battery just for the kit. After this all, it sound like I'm gonna be having 5 rings connected to my battery.

Has anyone done this much to their bike? Can the stock battery handle it? Or will I need to upgrade?

Thanks!

2013 White Ninja 300 / ZX3R
Too many aftermarket parts to list.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 09:44 PM
Forum Champion

Garage
Better question might be if the OEM stator can keep up with all of that.

It's a girl on a bike...it's Rogue!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Twitter: @Rogue_300
Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Instagram: Rogue_300

Do you rock it?

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
Better question might be if the OEM stator can keep up with all of that.

Rookie question here but what's the stator for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 11:18 PM
Seasoned Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchDumper View Post
Rookie question here but what's the stator for?
More or less, the battery is for powering the ecu and starting the bike initially. The stator is for recharging the battery after starting, and then it also powers everything else, while the engine is running. If the stator can't keep up, then the battery will eventually drain to zero while you are riding, and all the fun comes to a stop!
Rogue likes this.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xorbe View Post
More or less, the battery is for powering the ecu and starting the bike initially. The stator is for recharging the battery after starting, and then it also powers everything else, while the engine is running. If the stator can't keep up, then the battery will eventually drain to zero while you are riding, and all the fun comes to a stop!

Oh god speaking of ECU's I'm also gonna have a PCV attached to my battery soon too.. I don't on riding on the streets with the underglow on but maybe occasionally on a night group ride if any or just to turn it on while pulling into a meet. But still I don't wanna end up having my bike run out of power haha

But anyway, is there like a specified capacity to how much the stator can withstand?

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 01:10 AM
Veteran

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchDumper View Post
Oh god speaking of ECU's I'm also gonna have a PCV attached to my battery soon too.. I don't on riding on the streets with the underglow on but maybe occasionally on a night group ride if any or just to turn it on while pulling into a meet. But still I don't wanna end up having my bike run out of power haha

But anyway, is there like a specified capacity to how much the stator can withstand?

I can't answer your question about the stator capacity, but you can shed some of the load by changing all your bulbs to LED so that they draw a fraction of the power of the filament bulbs.
ClutchDumper likes this.

Engineer rocketing through time and space on a Ninja 300 ABS
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Garage
Sounds about right. The only lights that aren't LED right now are my front turn indicators. All the lights in the BKmotos should be LED as well I believe.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 02:03 AM
Veteran

It's not that hard to calculate:
Low-Beam 55 Watt
Hi-Beam 55 Watt
ECU and Fuel-Pump 96 Watt
Taillight 5 Watt
just to name a few and have a starting point.
The stator from the EX300 charges with 294 Watt (EX250-FI = 322 Watt).
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoermane For This Useful Post:
ClutchDumper (06-16-2017)
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 05:07 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoermane View Post
It's not that hard to calculate:
Low-Beam 55 Watt
Hi-Beam 55 Watt
ECU and Fuel-Pump 96 Watt
Taillight 5 Watt
just to name a few and have a starting point.
The stator from the EX300 charges with 294 Watt (EX250-FI = 322 Watt).

Okay so what I understand now is to find the wattage from each accessory and add it all up and if I'm under 294 watts in total I should be okay?

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 09:59 AM

The BKMoto lights are HID correct? I installed the H7 kit from him. HIDs require less wattage to run per bulb after it has fired up but it needs a temporary large draw when starting. According to his site the H7's are 35w a piece so:

70w Headlights
56-60w Heated grips
15w phone charger
12w Go pro charger
77w heated liner
96w FP/ECU per Yoermane
->330w draw when heated elements are at full blast

?w switchback light strip 2x
?w switchback halo x2
?w white halo x2
?w led tail light

I always run my heated gear at about 50-70% when ever I do so normally at night I'm barely charging the battery. During the day i have the HIDs switched off as the morimoto halos I have are bright enough in my opinion to be used as DRLs, and switch the HIDs on with highs when I lane split. With the HIDs off and no heated gear the bike charges up very quickly.

Not sure what your setup is, but unless you ordered your headlight with the color changing LEDs, the rings are most likely CCFLs, which if i remember correctly, draw more than LED equivalents. I have no idea what the wattage is for either but its probably negligible in the grander scheme.

And I have like 8 things on the positive terminal. I need to switch to a distribution block but apparently my brain doesn't mind sitting on top of a fire hazard.
ClutchDumper likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page