A disappointing end - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 01:47 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thumbs down A disappointing end

Greetings,

I was at the pinnacle of excitement when I purchased my Ninja 300 at the start of 2014. I rode the backstreets for a couple of hours before I even had the bravery to ride it on the main roads to get it home, as I had just received my L's and had never ridden motorbikes before.

Riding to the city for the first few months of work were great. Avoiding parking and tolls, cheap petrol, filtering at the lights, I was really enjoying the end of Summer as the weather cooled down. I then moved work locations out to the suburbs and the commute was a bit different. Temperatures began to drop and I found myself struggling to ride in the rain. I hadn't really thought much about weather conditions affecting my ability to use my vehicle in the months prior to buying a bike, but I had now learnt of an obstacle stopping me from using it.

I kept the bike as I became a father at the end of 2015, but by that stage it was becoming more of a nuisance to ride. Time constraints, fatigue, weather, and other reasons/excuses became the norm as I opted for the safety and comfort of my hatchback.

As we learnt that the hatch wasn't big enough for one baby, let alone another in the future, we decided it was time to get a larger car and part ways with the bike that was spending most of its time in the shed. This is where the disappointment really began. I got it freshly serviced before putting it up for sale, and then once I found a buyer I took it in for a roadworthy. The RWC itself was only $120, however they alerted me to the fact that the Ninja 300's are a piece of shit (their words not mine) and the head bearings need replacing.

The bike had 4,400kms on it and had been babied as I'm far from confident and nowhere near stupid enough to do anything dangerous on it, yet here I was with head bearings that needed replacing. $360 later (plus the $120) and I'm out of pocket nearly $500. I only sold the bike for $4400 with a fresh registration, meaning at the end of all of it I parted ways with what was once one of my proudest purchases for a measly ~$3500. Less than half the price I paid just three years and 4,400kms ago.

So on that note, I bid these forums farewell. Perhaps some day I'll get another bike, but it sure as hell won't be new, and it sure as hell won't be Kawasaki.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 04:30 AM

Garage
I'm really sorry mate :/ I've never heard about them coming with defective head bearings...

If you ever decide to get on a bike again, stay safe.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 09:01 AM
Seasoned Vet

Some Kawis have had issues with the head bearing but overall, ninjas are not a POS as can be shown on this forum. Many people use them for cheap commuters and once the head bearing issue is resolved, you've got a great bike.

And yes, used is a smarter choice.

Last edited by 1uglybastard; 06-05-2017 at 09:05 AM.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 11:03 AM
Veteran

How did they check your head bearings?

Regards,
Kaustav
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 12:39 PM
Seasoned Vet

To the OP: The N300 is a bike built to meet a price point, but it's definitely not a piece of shit.

If you can't have fun on a Ninja 300, you won't have fun on any bike.

From your statements, it's sounds like goodbye to motorcycles and hello to a minivan. I'm sorry, I'm going to have to pull your man card for that.

The only people who should even consider buying new are those who are certain they are going to love it for many years. Anyone else who buy new is setting themselves up for huge loss and disappointment.
1uglybastard and SLWPOKE like this.

Zaph - Retired racer
My old CCS Ultralight Thunderbike [
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
]
Action shots [
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
] [
] [
]
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 03:13 PM
Forum Champion

Garage
OP, how did they look at them and know the bearings were bad? Generally the only sign of that is a wobble when the bike is ridden at speed. I would've thought you would notice that when riding. I think it's more likely the person has read that some of the Ninja 300s have a problem with the bearings after several thousand miles and took advantage of you.

On a different note, I'm never going to understand how having kids supposedly goes hand-in-hand with getting rid of motorcycles. Though, from the sounds of your post, it doesn't seem as if you were truly into the sport to begin with.
1uglybastard and SLWPOKE like this.

It's a girl on a bike...it's Rogue!

Twitter: @Rogue_300
Blog:

Instagram: Rogue_300

Do you rock it?

Last edited by Rogue; 06-05-2017 at 07:07 PM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 07:26 PM
Veteran

I think you got taken for a bit of a ride, mate.

There were some issues with steering bearings (a fair bit of it was also collective hysteria) but in your case I don't think it's likely they had failed. You might have fallen victim to a cynical service writer.

Maybe you'll come back to bikes one day.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 08:09 PM
Seasoned Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaph View Post
To the OP: The N300 is a bike built to meet a price point, but it's definitely not a piece of shit.

If you can't have fun on a Ninja 300, you won't have fun on any bike.

From your statements, it's sounds like goodbye to motorcycles and hello to a minivan. I'm sorry, I'm going to have to pull your man card for that.

The only people who should even consider buying new are those who are certain they are going to love it for many years. Anyone else who buy new is setting themselves up for huge loss and disappointment.
Truer words have never been said
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 08:10 PM
Seasoned Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
OP, how did they look at them and know the bearings were bad? Generally the only sign of that is a wobble when the bike is ridden at speed. I would've thought you would notice that when riding. I think it's more likely the person has read that some of the Ninja 300s have a problem with the bearings after several thousand miles and took advantage of you.

On a different note, I'm never going to understand how having kids supposedly goes hand-in-hand with getting rid of motorcycles. Though, from the sounds of your post, it doesn't seem as if you were truly into the sport to begin with.
I thought all of this as well.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 02:03 PM

Bought my 300 right when my wife got pregnant. I was planning on getting a bike anyway, people told me I was stupid. My son was born about 3 weeks ago and the only reason I'm not on the bike is because it's rained almost every day. In less than two weeks I'll be selling my 300 to my brother and upgrading to my uncle's 1000, having a child hasn't slowed me down in the slightest other than the fact that I don't take the long way home.
Rogue likes this.

2015 Ninja 300 SE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page