Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

7,600 mile service

7K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  IronWarrior 
#1 ·
So I'm about 150 miles away from the 7.6 marker which means a lot in the service manual. But the biggest concern to me is the valve adjustment and oil change. Should I do the oil/oil filter change before or after the valve adjustment? Or do I not have the option and they'll need to replace the oil there after the valve adjustment is done?

And if I can do the oil change myself, can I do it all on a front and rear stand to monitor the level?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 ·
The valve adjustment requires the engine to be completely cold while the oil servicing requires the engine to be at operating temps. If you going to be doing the service after a ride, the oil change would be best since it's going to take a few hours for your engine to cool all the way down. If this is something you're going to be doing in the morning, the valve service should be done before the oil change and before you heat the motor up after running it.

The only real requirement for the oil change is that the bike be level. You don't even really need to use any stands for an oil change as I just propped the bike up against my knee to keep it level off the sidestand and filled it up while looking at the sight glass.

#3 ·
Yeah, don't fill the oil with it on a rear stand. Or if you do, don't fill it based on the lines. Put in about 2-2.25 quarts, set it down off the stand and level it, then check the oil level. I was stupid and filled it based on the rear stand, put 3 quarts in, had to drain out about half a quart.

#4 ·
I don't really know if valve adjustment is needed for your first service.

I did mine, took it to the dealership just for the sake of keeping the warranty, but it was like $300 something service and all they told me was everything was fine and no valve adjustment needed. Wow what a waste of cash for checking something that didn't need.

I later did a research and seems like it's pretty common that valve adjustment isn't really needed for your first service, and I'm a bit skeptical if the dealership actually bothered to took it apart to take a look at it.

Ultimately, do your service yourself if it's out of warranty.

#6 ·
I don't really know if valve adjustment is needed for your first service.

I did mine, took it to the dealership just for the sake of keeping the warranty, but it was like $300 something service and all they told me was everything was fine and no valve adjustment needed. Wow what a waste of cash for checking something that didn't need.

I later did a research and seems like it's pretty common that valve adjustment isn't really needed for your first service, and I'm a bit skeptical if the dealership actually bothered to took it apart to take a look at it.

Ultimately, do your service yourself if it's out of warranty.

Yeah I've heard a lot of people tend to skip it at 7600 miles. And the next one isn't needed until 15,200 miles. But ThisLifeRiding posted a video on YouTube saying he didn't get his first valve adjustment until about 20k miles.

Unfortunately I don't have a warranty since I bought my bike off of someone from Craigslist and Metric Method in Irvine quoted me $600 for the valve adjustment. ($100 an hour) and after watching Timpo's video, I think I too am going to save my money and do it at 15,200 miles. I just don't think my bike needs it just yet.

But as for general maintenance, a lot is supposed to be done at 7,600 miles. I've already got new oil, oil filter, coolant and already did brake fluids and the air filter just recently. Thanks for the info guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 ·
hi

For what it's worth, I only ever went to the trouble of checking valve clearance on an old 250 engine and found it needed no shims at all.

We are about to strip down a 30K + Klm engine as a training exercise and I doubt even this one will need it but maybe.

I very much doubt you will need it at 7.6K Miles.

#9 · (Edited)
My exhaust valves were tight at 8000 miles. I suspect they may have been this way from the factory, but obviously I have no way of knowing. The intake valves were fine.

Here's a picture of the worksheet I used:

'Go' is the thickest feeler gauge I could fit with minimal drag, 'NoGo' is the size I couldn't fit. The minimal desired tolerance is 0.22mm.

#10 · (Edited)
I picked mine up from the 7600 mile service yesterday. The total for my service was $489.69. And they did have to adjust my valves. I also noticed the bike has better overall response now - it seems peppier. They also noticed my fork seals were slightly leaking and they replaced those under warranty. Here's the cost breakdown:

Qty Description Each Price Extension
2 10W40 Quart Synthetic $13.15 $26.30
1 Filter-Assembly Oil $13.27 $13.27
2 NGK spark plug $7.70 $15.40
1 Shop supplies $5.00 $5.00
1 Disposal Fee $2.00 $2.00

Labor Description Each Price Extension
4.21 Service with valve adjustment $95.00 $400.00

Sub-total $461.97

Sales Tax $27.72

Total $489.69

All-in-all, considering my valves did need a slight adjustment, I don't think the service was that expensive. And, while I'm more than capable, not to mention comfortable, doing the routine maintenance myself, I would never have torn into my engine to do this one on my own.

#11 ·
I picked mine up from the 7600 mile service yesterday. The total for my service was $489.69. And they did have to adjust my valves. I also noticed the bike has better overall response now - it seems peppier. They also noticed my fork seals were slightly leaking and they replaced those under warranty. Here's the cost breakdown:

Qty Description Each Price Extension
2 10W40 Quart Synthetic $13.15 $26.30
1 Filter-Assembly Oil $13.27 $13.27
2 NGK spark plug $7.70 $15.40
1 Shop supplies $5.00 $5.00
1 Disposal Fee $2.00 $2.00

Labor Description Each Price Extension
4.21 Service with valve adjustment $95.00 $400.00

Sub-total $461.97

Sales Tax $27.72

Total $489.69

All-in-all, considering my valves did need a slight adjustment, I don't think the service was that expensive. And, while I'm more than capable,not to mention comfortable, doing the routine maintenance myself, I would never have torn into my engine to do this one on my own.

Damn. Them services come out pricey hmmm....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.