Changed front brake pad, having trouble...help! - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Changed front brake pad, having trouble...help!

Hi all,

I just installed EBC FA197HH pads for my front brakes. I went out to test them and something is not right. There doesn't seem to be any issues under normal braking but under hard braking the pads don't seem to catch right. They make a squeaking noise and seem to skip a bit, like they're struggling for grip. I'm very familiar with the ABS system, so I'm sure it's not the ABS kicking in.

Anybody have any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 06:42 PM

How recently? You need to bed them in, which takes several hundred miles of stop /go city riding plus a few hard braking cycles in a row after that. Check their websites for info.

I have those pads and they were scary bad at first, though I don't remember what you describe.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

2014 Ninja 300 ABS - Black
Akrapovic Titanium Slip On | Decatted Exhaust | FlashTune ECU | Shogun Frame Sliders | Michelin Pilot Street Radials & EBC HH brake pads | Puig Windscreen & Tail Tidy | Custom LED Integrated Tail Light | Red Shorty Levers | Oxford Heaterz Sport Grips | Red Plasti-dipped Rear Foot Peg Brackets | Red CustomTaylor33 reflective rim tape + Ninja & Kawasaki Logos | Red SSR Frame Plugs & Swingarm Spools | 1" Mirror Extenders
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 10:49 PM
Seasoned Vet

Garage
I Always scuff up the brake disc with some sandpaper when changing to another brand/type of pad. I also bleed the brakes and do a 2nd bleed a couple of days later. I've never had any issues so far.
In my opinion the standard EBC HH pads really suck though

amateur racer #128
race sponsor-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 09:37 AM
Seasoned Vet

Did you clean the rotor? You may have some oil, grease, or skin oil on the rotor. Also the the pads take a few hundred miles to get the most grip(bedding in). There is a process to bed them in do a google search. Once bedded in they have very good grip.

Mods: Nelson-Rigg cl-2020 tank bag, Driven clip-ons 10 degrees, Pirelli Diablo Rosso II now Michelin Pilot street radial tires stock sizes, 2006 GSXR600r rear shock, sag front and rear set, mirror extenders, rear seat cowl, Flo reusable oil filter, Green shorty levers, EBC HH Pads, Galfer braided front brake line,Motul brake fluid.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 09:43 AM

Garage
I agree with vulgr on preping the rotors.

Give the rotor a cleaning with some brake clean on a rag (one without any oil on it). Then, scuff it with some sandpaper. Clean it one more time to get sanding residue off.

Since you used the pads already, give the pad surface a light sanding too (just enough to scuff it up), then burn them in.

Here's a good article and video from revzilla on it.

https://www.revzilla.com/common-trea...ge-your-brakes

I have HH pads on my 996. They are a little "grabby", but seem to work well on the track.

Track-
'13 Kawasaki Ninja 300SE - Yoshi exhaust, Vortex rear sets, gp shift, Bridgestone Battlax S20 EVO, GSXR rear shock, Barnett clutch and springs, Woodcraft clip-ons, Hotbodies race plastics, Ducati steering dampener, fully safety wired, more to come.
'99 Ducati 996s- a bunch of hard to pronounce and hard to spell add-ons.

Street-
'14 Yamaha TW200
'07 Yamaha FZ1
'08 Ducati Hypermotard

Last edited by Rttoys; 04-15-2017 at 03:02 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 09:12 PM
Veteran

Garage
Usually the previous pads leave crap all over the rotors (glaze). When you change pads, you should deglaze your rotors too. Here's a good video:

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ho...tors-mc-garage

HID Kit w/ Halos - RaceTech Springs - Spiegler SS Brake Line - Pazzo Shorty Levers - Woodcraft Clipons - Driven D3 Grips - Yoshi R77 Full - K&N Air Filter - Dynojet Micro - Vortex 40T Alum Rear Sprocket - Seat Cowl - Motodynamic ITL and FE - Yoshi Rear Set Brackets, Frame Sliders and Bar End Sliders - Shogun Swingarm Sliders - R&G Engine Case Covers and Fork Sliders - TechSpec Tank Grips - Progrip Tank Pad - Pirelli DRII Tires - Shorai Battery - ZG Corsa Windscreen - Saddlemen Chicane Seat
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amonsa View Post
Hi all,

I just installed EBC FA197HH pads for my front brakes. I went out to test them and something is not right. There doesn't seem to be any issues under normal braking but under hard braking the pads don't seem to catch right. They make a squeaking noise and seem to skip a bit, like they're struggling for grip. I'm very familiar with the ABS system, so I'm sure it's not the ABS kicking in.

Anybody have any ideas?
I have the same pads. They weren't as bad as you describe but under hard braking they felt worse than the factory pads when I first installed them. Now that I have about 200 miles or so on them they are better under hard braking. My guess would be a small upgrade over stock. It took some time to get there though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page