Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

Aren't you fed up of having to explain or justify that your bike is a 300?

7K views 27 replies 18 participants last post by  cadd 
#1 ·
Basically, the title says it all.

I love this bike, and it's the perfect city bike. There isn't anything legal you can do with a ZX-10r you can't do with a Ninja 300.

But. There's always a but. I'm F****** tired of explaining 2-3 times a week that the bike is "only" a 300. Everyone seems to think it's a 650. Is embarrassing when even little kids on the street pass me by and tell me to rev the bike thinking it's a supersport. It can't be that I'm the only one that's getting pissed off at this. While I'd love a bigger bike, and will probably change to a Ninja 650 in the next month or two, it's just plain annoying. Especially when it's a squid with a decade old ZX-6r or "that guy that used to have a bike so many years ago". I wouldn't care so much if it wasn't because it happens at 25% of the time I take the bike out, or so it seems.

Dunno, maybe it's just because I live in Miami where you see almost as many Masserati's as you see Mitsubishis. Here maybe 3 or 4 of out of 10 riders wear helmets, and out of those 4, one or two wear gloves. Forget about jackets. Actually, what I most love are people on motorcycles without helmet, jackets or gloves, but wearing a high visibility mesh vest. Maybe it's kevlar lined?

Anyways, just wanted to vent and see if I'm the only one ticked off by people who think a 300cc bike is not a real bike.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
It's rare that someone talks shit about my engine size, but if someone does its usually a weekend warrior who only rides in perfect weather. Telling them I have 2 liter bikes, a CBR and a Ducati, as well is enough to shut them up. I also mention that I ride just about every day, and my small bike gets the most use because it maneuvers around the city way better than my big bikes, and this is after having owned around 10 bikes over the years. I also tell them I've ridden several bikes on cross country trips, for up to 11 straight hours of riding, and the little ninja best suited the job because it had a longer fuel range than my big bikes. I also tell them that the 300 is faster at handling tight turns at the track than a heavier, bigger bike.

Basically, I pull my dick out and show them that it's longer and more experienced than theirs.

#4 ·
Basically, I pull my dick out and show them that it's longer and more experienced than theirs.
I definitely agree with all that, and all those reasons are exactly what make it such a great bike. I've always thought that a Ninja 300 for functionality and a pure big bore sportbike for leisure are the perfect match. Someday I hope that will be the case.

haha Try a SaddleSore. I spent the most part of 24 hours on a Ninja 300.

Maybe you should stop talking to so many douche bags every week!
On a side note... you whining and judging others about not wearing gear is exactly the same as them judging you on what capacity bike you're riding- atleast you'll fit in when you "upgrade" to a 650 [emoji12]
Maybe it's just where I live. This feels like Cuba without a passport most of the time. Bikes get a lot of attention around here, and people either approach you or are waiting at your bike. Last weekend smoking next to my bike I had three people come talk about the bike in less than 30 min. Some university professor wasn't happy until he got a few pics on the bike. At the beginning it's fun, but now it's just a hassle.

The gear part, I say from the perspective of them not taking the sport seriously, and being the type of people that won't ride for more than a year before selling the bike, but eternally claiming they are riders. It's not that they care about motorcycles, it's just the cool thing to do. Gear does say something about riders. I don't know any knowledgeable rider that recommends not wearing any gear, nor many that have ridden their whole life without gear.

You got me on the upgrade part. It's part of the culture, we like it or not.

#5 ·
I feel maybe it's just your area lol I'm in tx and have had my ninja for 2 weeks now. I've been riding for 8 yeas ninja 250, rebel 250, Harley nightster 1200, and ninja 650 People down here for the most part don't care about my bike only bein a 300. I always just spin it as it makes more sense for me. Why have a bigger bike if you can't even use it to its full potential. Plus I'm a speedster so a 300 would more likely keep me out of trouble ha. Besides at the end of the day it isn't about how big it is it's about how you use it.

#9 ·
Funny! You think you have too many people wanting to talk about your bike?

try riding one of these around

Every stop is one half hour minimum with all the questions.

Attachments

#10 ·
I'm in Jersey. Tons of wkend warriors here. I was one of the few that commuted 70 miles each day to NYC. Even still, no one has ever looked down on my 250 or 300. On rare occasions, i'll get:
Is that a 600?
Nope, 3.
Oh, it looks just like a 600.
Yeah, they made these small bikes look better now.
Cool.
Have a good day.

On even more rare occasions, I'll get a why such a small bike?
My response leave them speechless...."because I'm a wimpy guy that's really afraid of the speed and power of a bigger bike".

They literally don't know how to reply to that.

#16 ·
Anyways, just wanted to vent and see if I'm the only one ticked off by people who think a 300cc bike is not a real bike.
You know, at the race track it's just the opposite, especially when the bike is seriously kitted out for racing. EVERYONE wants a little bike to have some real fun on. Instead of spending all your laps trying to control a fire breathing monster, on a little bike you really get into the intricacies of what makes track riding awesome.

I rode my 300 on the street for a little while when I first got it and nobody ever gave me a hard time. On the street I ride in my full race leathers, and with all the posers on 600's and 1000's, I can see their eyes make their way down to my knees where my pucks are worn so hard they are beginning to melt. Then they get quiet after that. :D

#18 ·
So people always think it's a 600 or here and there I get 250. When I tell them 300 they're usually shocked or what not. I had couple people tell me that I should just upgrade or would've been better off starting out with a 600 and I always reply, "well the 300 was more economical for my pockets and it's doing its job on the road. Love the mileage I get from gas and all. Yeah I wish it could've been faster but overall I love my bike and when I do get a bigger bike eventually, I'm still keeping my 300."

#19 ·
I've been only asked once so far if it was a 600, I'm fairly new rider though and it doesn't bother me a bit. Just give a straight answer that it's a 300 and that's about it. I think it's nice that they make them look like they have more power, but they really don't, but you can still sort of keep up with big bikes if you ride with nice people, they'll wait for you to catch up, especially if you are new.

#21 ·
I seem to have the opposite problem. Everyone is shocked that it is a 300, and that I have had it up to 150 km/hr. The cops don't care about me. They know that it is small, and will not do the 200+ km/hr

#22 ·
Here in Thailand a 300 cc is considered a big bike by the locals, although that is changing as more and more Thais are buying large capacity bikes, the CB650F is particularly popular. It's all about perception. In the west we are used to much larger bikes and the "bigger is better" way of thinking.

#23 ·
Here in Thailand a 300 cc is considered a big bike by the locals, although that is changing as more and more Thais are buying large capacity bikes, the CB650F isIt's all about perception. In the west we are used to much larger bikes and the "bigger is better" way of thinking.
I agree. The US doesn't seem to have much respect for big bikes, as in any teen thinks they can ride a 600 as a first bike, and a 1000 a week later. Not like in Europe where a lot of places make you earn that privilege over years. I can't say I agree, but it does cultivate another mentality.

#25 ·
Not necessarily. Non-bike owners think all bikes are great and you can make their day by just letting them sit on it. Non-bike owners with bike owning friends sometimes talk shit they've heard, but they are a minority. It's the "I once owned a 600 until I got a scare and sold it", or the "I started on a 650", etc.

At the end of the day, we all have a bit of bias I think. Or how many of us salute scooter riders on the street? They take most of the same risks and have the same inconveniences. But without any of the benefits. Then again, I'd kill for the storage they have under the seat! Unrelated, but I've always thought how awesome it would be if sport bikes could store the fuel under the bike or in the tail section, and make the tank hump a mini trunk.

I have a friend with the Ninja 650, and your right, it's the opposite. They ask her why she bought such a big bike. The sadder part is that after having it, she also thinks it's too high and heavy and wants a Ninja 300, perpetuating the stereotype.

#26 ·
I just don't care what other people outside my personal circle think about my choices and and their opinion in general about how I go about my life. Life becomes a much happier event when you stop caring about the opinions of random strangers. If someone asks, just tell them about your bike, pertinent to their question. If asked why the 300? just respond that because you could and did and end it there. There is no need to justify yourself to others.

#28 ·
My buddy rides a 1098. Sunny wkends only. However, he commutes on his Vespa (tall windshield, hand guards, and a hard case in the rear) into Manhattan on weekdays, 5x a week. He wears a suit to work. His pant cuffs and shoes are still clean when he gets in the office. He also runs errands (whole foods bag between his legs) to make dinner.

I tried keeping up with him on his Vespa. Absolutely no way a 300 can keep up. Around the same power. But he can get between cars that I can't.

I don't judge. His Vespa costs 2x as much as my 300 and it's damn high quality.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.