Aren't you fed up of having to explain or justify that your bike is a 300? - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Garage
Aren't you fed up of having to explain or justify that your bike is a 300?

Basically, the title says it all.

I love this bike, and it's the perfect city bike. There isn't anything legal you can do with a ZX-10r you can't do with a Ninja 300.

But. There's always a but. I'm F****** tired of explaining 2-3 times a week that the bike is "only" a 300. Everyone seems to think it's a 650. Is embarrassing when even little kids on the street pass me by and tell me to rev the bike thinking it's a supersport. It can't be that I'm the only one that's getting pissed off at this. While I'd love a bigger bike, and will probably change to a Ninja 650 in the next month or two, it's just plain annoying. Especially when it's a squid with a decade old ZX-6r or "that guy that used to have a bike so many years ago". I wouldn't care so much if it wasn't because it happens at 25% of the time I take the bike out, or so it seems.

Dunno, maybe it's just because I live in Miami where you see almost as many Masserati's as you see Mitsubishis. Here maybe 3 or 4 of out of 10 riders wear helmets, and out of those 4, one or two wear gloves. Forget about jackets. Actually, what I most love are people on motorcycles without helmet, jackets or gloves, but wearing a high visibility mesh vest. Maybe it's kevlar lined?

Anyways, just wanted to vent and see if I'm the only one ticked off by people who think a 300cc bike is not a real bike.

Proud IronButt SaddleSore 1000 rider on a Kawasaki Ninja 300 ABS. 1041 miles from Miami to South Carolina and back in less than 24 hours!

For my bike and my mods check the garage. And as always, thanks for reading!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 09:04 AM
Seasoned Vet

It's rare that someone talks shit about my engine size, but if someone does its usually a weekend warrior who only rides in perfect weather. Telling them I have 2 liter bikes, a CBR and a Ducati, as well is enough to shut them up. I also mention that I ride just about every day, and my small bike gets the most use because it maneuvers around the city way better than my big bikes, and this is after having owned around 10 bikes over the years. I also tell them I've ridden several bikes on cross country trips, for up to 11 straight hours of riding, and the little ninja best suited the job because it had a longer fuel range than my big bikes. I also tell them that the 300 is faster at handling tight turns at the track than a heavier, bigger bike.

Basically, I pull my dick out and show them that it's longer and more experienced than theirs.

Last edited by 1uglybastard; 03-30-2017 at 09:17 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 1uglybastard For This Useful Post:
Gables_Ninja (03-30-2017)
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 10:45 AM
Seasoned Vet

Garage
Maybe you should stop talking to so many douche bags every week!
On a side note... you whining and judging others about not wearing gear is exactly the same as them judging you on what capacity bike you're riding- atleast you'll fit in when you "upgrade" to a 650

amateur racer #128
race sponsor-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1uglybastard View Post
Basically, I pull my dick out and show them that it's longer and more experienced than theirs.
I definitely agree with all that, and all those reasons are exactly what make it such a great bike. I've always thought that a Ninja 300 for functionality and a pure big bore sportbike for leisure are the perfect match. Someday I hope that will be the case.

haha Try a SaddleSore. I spent the most part of 24 hours on a Ninja 300.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulgr View Post
Maybe you should stop talking to so many douche bags every week!
On a side note... you whining and judging others about not wearing gear is exactly the same as them judging you on what capacity bike you're riding- atleast you'll fit in when you "upgrade" to a 650
Maybe it's just where I live. This feels like Cuba without a passport most of the time. Bikes get a lot of attention around here, and people either approach you or are waiting at your bike. Last weekend smoking next to my bike I had three people come talk about the bike in less than 30 min. Some university professor wasn't happy until he got a few pics on the bike. At the beginning it's fun, but now it's just a hassle.

The gear part, I say from the perspective of them not taking the sport seriously, and being the type of people that won't ride for more than a year before selling the bike, but eternally claiming they are riders. It's not that they care about motorcycles, it's just the cool thing to do. Gear does say something about riders. I don't know any knowledgeable rider that recommends not wearing any gear, nor many that have ridden their whole life without gear.

You got me on the upgrade part. It's part of the culture, we like it or not.

Proud IronButt SaddleSore 1000 rider on a Kawasaki Ninja 300 ABS. 1041 miles from Miami to South Carolina and back in less than 24 hours!

For my bike and my mods check the garage. And as always, thanks for reading!
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 11:56 AM

I feel maybe it's just your area lol I'm in tx and have had my ninja for 2 weeks now. I've been riding for 8 yeas ninja 250, rebel 250, Harley nightster 1200, and ninja 650 People down here for the most part don't care about my bike only bein a 300. I always just spin it as it makes more sense for me. Why have a bigger bike if you can't even use it to its full potential. Plus I'm a speedster so a 300 would more likely keep me out of trouble ha. Besides at the end of the day it isn't about how big it is it's about how you use it.
Gables_Ninja likes this.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 01:15 PM
Seasoned Vet

in an area where bikes are common and used as daily transportation, like california, size of engine isn't questioned because everyone understands that a bike is a functional tool. areas where bikes represent superficial status, however, it's all about size and cost and nothing about skill and functionality.
Gables_Ninja likes this.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 01:19 PM
Seasoned Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gables_Ninja View Post
The gear part, I say from the perspective of them not taking the sport seriously, and being the type of people that won't ride for more than a year before selling the bike, but eternally claiming they are riders. It's not that they care about motorcycles, it's just the cool thing to do. Gear does say something about riders. I don't know any knowledgeable rider that recommends not wearing any gear, nor many that have ridden their whole life without gear.
i consider myself a knowledgeable rider, and although I don't recommend not wearing gear, I rarely wear a jacket when commuting in the hottest months. I make this decision being fully informed of the risk, having years of riding experience where I live, knowing the area and traffic conditions, and taking additional precautions when riding.
vulgr likes this.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1uglybastard View Post
i consider myself a knowledgeable rider, and although I don't recommend not wearing gear, I rarely wear a jacket when commuting in the hottest months. I make this decision being fully informed of the risk, having years of riding experience where I live, knowing the area and traffic conditions, and taking additional precautions when riding.
Jacket's one thing, but no helmet? I guess it'll just get rid of the dumb ones.

People around here have asked me about the bike, but they're more interested than condescending. There are also not many bikes here and if they are they're older people on Harley's/cruisers. I've never had anyone ask for a picture on the bike and wouldn't let them regardless. Don't even let my friends on it unless I know they can at least sit on it without falling over.

2015 Ninja 300 SE
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 01:51 PM

Garage
Funny! You think you have too many people wanting to talk about your bike?

try riding one of these around

Aren't you fed up of having to explain or justify that your bike is a 300?-20150202_040218e.jpg

Every stop is one half hour minimum with all the questions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150202_040218e.jpg (163.2 KB, 35 views)

2016 CCM GP450
2015 Kawasaki Ninja 300
2014 Ural Gear Up
1994 Harley-Davidson FXSTS Springer Softtail
1991 Harley-Davidson XLH Hugger 883
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 02:01 PM
Post Whore

I'm in Jersey. Tons of wkend warriors here. I was one of the few that commuted 70 miles each day to NYC. Even still, no one has ever looked down on my 250 or 300. On rare occasions, i'll get:
Is that a 600?
Nope, 3.
Oh, it looks just like a 600.
Yeah, they made these small bikes look better now.
Cool.
Have a good day.

On even more rare occasions, I'll get a why such a small bike?
My response leave them speechless...."because I'm a wimpy guy that's really afraid of the speed and power of a bigger bike".

They literally don't know how to reply to that.

Riding it like I financed it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page