"Insignificant" things you will miss in the Next Gen 300? - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 03:35 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

"Insignificant" things you will miss in the Next Gen 300?

I wanted to talk about this for a while now. I guess this is relevant to only those among us who want to stay with this class of motorcycle. Based on feedback I have seen here on the forum I am guessing that there would be some things that perhaps only few(including me) will miss in the next gen Ninja 300 when it comes along. I must mention these are things which either most people don't care much about or actually don't like about the current 300. Here is my list:

1. Top End Bias- I think the little engine has a delightful "peaky" nature. I love the way the engine becomes more eager as the revs go past 8K rpm. Because its a small engine I can rev it hard almost all the time(the bigger bikes will be just too powerful on public roads). Unfortunately, this is one of the biggest complaints by many owners. Most users prefer a more linear power delivery with strong low end. Personally I think the low end is not bad at all, it is just not as good as its rivals. I fear the next gen will be devoid of the lovely top end.

2. The Rev Counter- The trend seems to be fully digital/LCD/TFT instrumentation. I like that idea, but would prefer an analogue rev counter. I just like the way the needle moves. Maybe they can provide a "virtual" rev counter like the flagship Mercedes?

3. The Positive Neutral Finder- To be fair, I do not think this will go away in the next gen. I like the feature, but many don't so there is a chance they might drop it.

4. 13K red line- With the competition using bigger displacement engines, Kawasaki will almost certainly do the same & that would likely mean a lower Rev limit. There have been many occasions when, trying to "take" traffic gaps, I have been under pressure to keep winding up the motor rather than lose time upshifting.

Comments & additions are welcome.

Regards,
Kaustav
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 08:19 AM
Seasoned Vet

Garage
This is a good debate. I will put thought to this later but I do hope Kawasaki is listening. I too would not want them to ruin what has been a very successful recipe.

Find something that works, make it better, break it, fix it, repeat.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 12:04 PM
Seasoned Vet

Given how long the Kawasaki 250 production run was, I'm not really expecting a next gen 300 any time soon. Maybe put the bike on a 10 pound diet.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 12:26 PM
Veteran

Garage
All I'd really like to see is a gear indicator added like the new Ninja 300. It's a controversial topic, but it's useful once in a while to avoid putting the bike in 7th gear.

And a temp indicator. Still pisses me off to not see that as standard on any sports vehicle.

Besides that, and other minor things, it really is a great bike.
Jimbo in Thailand likes this.

Proud IronButt SaddleSore 1000 rider on a Kawasaki Ninja 300 ABS. 1041 miles from Miami to South Carolina and back in less than 24 hours!

For my bike and my mods check the garage. And as always, thanks for reading!

Last edited by Gables_Ninja; 04-03-2017 at 09:25 PM.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 03:53 PM

Agreed - I'd like to see all those things stay the same. Given the long history between the 250 and the 300 and that the 300 still gets pretty decent reviews in comparisons, I'm hoping Kawasaki will stick to the formula more or less. As I understand it, part of the logic in moving to the 300 was to add torque to compete better with the CBR250r and they added torque but kept the high revving character.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 04:14 PM
Veteran

EVERY bike should come with a digital voltmeter so you can easily tell if the charging system is outputting proper current or not.
xorbe and cadd like this.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 06:32 PM
Seasoned Vet

Are they making the next gen Ninja 300?
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 06:33 PM
Veteran

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
EVERY bike should come with a digital voltmeter so you can easily tell if the charging system is outputting proper current or not.
I think theres alot of things that have more priority over that. Plus, a digital voltmeter doesn't tell you if its outputting "proper current" or not, but I understand what you mean.

That said, that's among the first things I installed. I have both:

and:

I'd much rather a usb charger on the dash as standard, and I think most users would agree. But the second picture would fulfill both things, regardless.

Proud IronButt SaddleSore 1000 rider on a Kawasaki Ninja 300 ABS. 1041 miles from Miami to South Carolina and back in less than 24 hours!

For my bike and my mods check the garage. And as always, thanks for reading!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
With the introduction of the more modern TFT displays, the next one would most likely have this feature. In the present bike the battery charge warning light would come on if the charging system is not producing enough power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
The rumours keep surfacing from time to time.

Regards,
Kaustav
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
I'm curious to see if the new WSB 300 race class pushes Kawasaki to revise the 300. Without that I wouldn't be expecting a brand new bike soon. It still does pretty well overall against what's out there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page