Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

Impossible Engine Sprocket Nut!!!!!!!

18K views 19 replies 18 participants last post by  Bunny 
#1 ·
Before I go any further, I just want to be forthright and tell you that I'm about to b*tch up a storm right now. Ready? Here goes. So my chain and sprockets have seen better days and it's about time I changed them so I buy a set online. Having never done the chain and sprockets before I consult the wonderful world of the internet and the Ninja 300 service manual. Hmmm...Ari Henning didn't seem to have a problem in his youtube video taking off the front sprocket, and the manual specifies 92 lb/ft of torque. I'll need a breaker bar and someone to stand on the rear brake and I'll have it off in no time! I slip the 27mm socket over the sprocket nut and put a decent amount of pressure on it. Okay, nothing is happening, let's put on some more pressure! Whew man, do my arms really look that good when flexed? Nevermind, this d*mn nut ain't coming off! Despite the brake lever being stood on the bike is going forward because I'm putting so much force on it. Alright, this isn't working, let's try a 3-foot extension, some liquid wrench, and a heat gun that'll do the trick! Cue a stream of expletives. There is no way that this is 92 lb/ft of torque! Time to hit harbor freight and buy their electric impact wrench, 230 lb/ft of torque should be able to get this sucker off! Lo and behold, it still can't get it off! IT'S STILL STUCK! I don't know if superman was working on the Kawasaki assembly line or maybe a disgruntled worker decided to torque that sucker to 250+ but it is just not coming off. Maybe I'm just a weakling but at this point it is just ridiculous and have NO idea why on earth it would be so tight. Currently waiting for the shop to open Tuesday so I can rent their lift and use their air impact wrench. If that doesn't work, then truly there are some feats that cannot be achieved by mortal man and so I will place my bike on a stone for some Arthurian legend to come along someday and finally pry that sucker off.
Rant over.

TLDR: Front sprocket note on waaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy too tight.

PS: Yes, the locking washer is bent down completely.

See less See more
#2 ·
Keep us updated if/when and how you get it off.Good luck,you can do it.

#5 ·
Yeah, that thing is a bitch to get off. A piece of wood between the wheel and swingarm is a good trick too.

#8 ·
I know this is probably stating the obvious but did you remember to flatten the bend in the holding tab of the washer behind the nut. I've done it, and I know others who have done it (or not done it, rather) and I also know of people forgetting to bend it back when they reinstal the front sprocket, having it come loose later.

#10 ·
Late update: I dropped my bike off to local shop last week for a rear tire and they got it off within a few seconds with their air wrench. It is now torqued to the CORRECT setting and can now get it off with just a regular 2 foot breaker bar. Seriously though, still wondering why it was on so ridiculously tight?!?!

#13 ·
In my experience impact gun was utterly useless.

Although one I bought was cheap one that was rated at 250lb-ft, when I took it to the shop, the shop owner said even with their heavy duty impact gun(I don't know the torque rating), it didn't work.

He had to have one of his mechanic who weighed over 200 lb hanging on the extended(about 6 or 7 feet) breaker bar and had to heat up the nut REALLY HOT. (He said he used something hotter than torch, I don't know what it was)

#14 ·
Impact gun is king for these things. It's a must have for any mechanic of any level with a compressor. lubricant + heat + impact gun pretty much always works. If it doesn't it's the exception. And it virtually never damages anything, unlike breaker bars (someone will fight me on that though).

Glad to see issue was solved.

#17 ·
So I realise I am waaaay late to this party. Have a 2016 Ninja and just changing front sprocket now. This will help anyone though going forward. Definitely need an air impact wrench for these and other tightly torqued nuts but you also need an impact socket. A standard socket has too much flex to impart the impact forces properly and the flex will also damage the nut eventually. Impact sockets are made from impossibletobreakdium or something, but will be the deciding factor of you being successful or not.

#19 ·
just to be clear..regular sockets are not more flexible compared to an impact. Regular sockets are more brittle and prone to breakage than impacts, which are much heavier construction but also softer and more flexible.

A standard socket has too much flex to impart the impact forces properly and the flex will also damage the nut eventually. Impact sockets are made from impossibletobreakdium or something, but will be the deciding factor of you being successful or not.

#18 · (Edited)
Speed Test
Before I go any further, I just want to be forthright and tell you that I'm about to b*tch up a storm right now. Ready? Here goes. So my chain and sprockets have seen better days and it's about time I changed them so I buy a set online. Having never done the chain and sprockets before I consult the wonderful world of the internet and the Ninja 300 service manual. Hmmm...Ari Henning didn't seem to have a problem in his youtube video taking off the front sprocket, and the manual specifies 92 lb/ft of torque. I'll need a breaker bar and someone to stand on the rear brake and I'll have it off in no time! I slip the 27mm socket over the sprocket nut and put a decent amount of pressure on it. Okay, nothing is happening, let's put on some more pressure! Whew man, do my arms really look that good when flexed? Nevermind, this d*mn nut ain't coming off! Despite the brake lever being stood on the bike is going forward because I'm putting so much force on it. Alright, this isn't working, let's try a 3-foot extension, some liquid wrench, and a heat gun that'll do the trick! Cue a stream of expletives. There is no way that this is 92 lb/ft of torque! Time to hit harbor freight and buy their electric impact wrench, 230 lb/ft of torque should be able to get this sucker off! Lo and behold, it still can't get it off! IT'S STILL STUCK! I don't know if superman was working on the Kawasaki assembly line or maybe a disgruntled worker decided to torque that sucker to 250+ but it is just not coming off. Maybe I'm just a weakling but at this point it is just ridiculous and have NO idea why on earth it would be so tight. Currently waiting for the shop to open Tuesday so I can rent their lift and use their air impact wrench. If that doesn't work, then truly there are some feats that cannot be achieved by mortal man and so I will place my bike on a stone for some Arthurian legend to come along someday and finally pry that sucker off.
Rant over.

TLDR: Front sprocket note on waaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy too tight.

PS: Yes, the locking washer is bent down completely.
Keep us updated if/when and how you get it off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.