Long Distance Ride Advice - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to KawiGirl67
Long Distance Ride Advice

I'm getting ready to make a 2600 mile ride on my new-to-me little Ninja. I'm having her serviced before leaving. I have gotten a pair of Nelson-Rigg hi-vis saddlebags, a spare pair of brake/clutch levers, a mount for my phone/gps, a Zero Gravity sport touring windscreen, luggage rack, round mirror insets to hopefully improve visibility (boy, these mirrors are CRAP as is...it's my only complaint about the bike so far), the tool kit, and a pressure gauge. Is there ANYTHING else that I should have that I'm not thinking of right off hand? Thanks for any advice!

**edited to add that I want to get a bluetooth headset for the lid...any recommendations??

Last edited by KawiGirl67; 02-14-2017 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Added something
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 05:19 PM
Seasoned Vet

I got a Sena 3s bluetooth. It's the cheapest and works very well. The only thing is I can't pair it to other Sena users but I don't ride in groups. depending on how long you'll be on the road, you may have to ride with it charging and alternate the charger with your phone so make sure you have a long enough charging cable.

Get a tire inflator and plug kit from walmart or Autozone. Many riders refuse to use plugs but in a pinch it's better than sitting on the side of the road. I've put thousands of miles on plugged tires over the years and never had a problem, so I'm not against them at all.

paper towels, rubber gloves, and chain lube. I do mine at the end of the day when I go on road trips, usually around 450-650 miles/day.

USB charger, but try to find a good one. The Deltran one I bought charges at a super slow rate that the phone will still lose power when plugged in and using GPS simultaneously. it could be that I just got a faulty one. this one looks good: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/bikem...FduIswod7jQNvw it comes with the battery adapter cable. be sure to charge your phone where it gets some ventilation.

how many miles on the bike? check your brakes, and at every fill up check your oil level and chain slack.

Tools to adjust your chain.

Last edited by 1uglybastard; 02-14-2017 at 05:22 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 1uglybastard For This Useful Post:
KawiGirl67 (02-16-2017)
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1uglybastard View Post
I got a Sena 3s bluetooth. It's the cheapest and works very well. The only thing is I can't pair it to other Sena users but I don't ride in groups. depending on how long you'll be on the road, you may have to ride with it charging and alternate the charger with your phone so make sure you have a long enough charging cable.
I picked up this one... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Had some good reviews and if it does well, I can get one for the hubby...

Quote:
Get a tire inflator and plug kit from walmart or Autozone. Many riders refuse to use plugs but in a pinch it's better than sitting on the side of the road. I've put thousands of miles on plugged tires over the years and never had a problem, so I'm not against them at all.
Great idea...yeah, I'm not against a plug to get me as far as a service shop to replace the tire.

Quote:
paper towels, rubber gloves, and chain lube. I do mine at the end of the day when I go on road trips, usually around 450-650 miles/day.
Chain lube!! Yesss, thank you. Definitely want all those you've mentioned...plus some extra cotter pins just in case.

Quote:
USB charger, but try to find a good one. The Deltran one I bought charges at a super slow rate that the phone will still lose power when plugged in and using GPS simultaneously. it could be that I just got a faulty one. this one looks good: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/bikem...FduIswod7jQNvw it comes with the battery adapter cable. be sure to charge your phone where it gets some ventilation.
The phone mount I got has a single usb port. I'm planning to wire it to the headlight (even though it has an off switch). I know my route...I've made so many cross-country trips, I should have a section of Interstate named after me by now...so, I'll only have the gps on long enough to navigate me thru the cities the fastest way. My main thing will be powering the bluetooth alternately with my phone for Pandora.

Quote:
how many miles on the bike? check your brakes, and at every fill up check your oil level and chain slack.

Tools to adjust your chain.
The bike has 18k at this point. Going to have my bike mech here give her a once over to check everything and fix whatever might need attention. I'll need to make sure the tool kit has everything needed for the chain...bought the bike used last week, so I need to go over that kit.
Thanks so much for the advice!

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 07:16 PM
Veteran

That is one heck of a ride on a Ninja 300 or any bike actually.Enjoy the trip and ride safe.

2014 Ninja 300 SE Pearl StarDust White With ABS
Two Brothers Tarmac Carbon Slip On
TST Industries Integrated Taillight/Signal Lights
TST Industries Fender Delete Kit
K&N Air Filter

2016 Vulcan 900 Custom
Cobra FI2000R Fuel Controller
Kuryakyn Voltmeter
Kawasaki Mini Tachometer
K&N Air Filter
Kuryakyn ISO Grips With Dual Throttle Bosses
Saddlebags Installed Using EasyBrackets
Cobra Freeway Bars
DesertDawg Freeway Bar Chaps
Mustang Wide Vintage Touring Seat With Drivers Backrest
The Following User Says Thank You to Brion B For This Useful Post:
KawiGirl67 (02-16-2017)
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brion B View Post
That is one heck of a ride on a Ninja 300 or any bike actually.Enjoy the trip and ride safe.
Thanks Brion! Yeah, even my own mom said, "omg you are cra cra". I about died laughing at the slang. Told her the apple didn't fall far from this particular tree...
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 08:38 AM
Seasoned Vet

the valves are supposed to be checked at 15k miles according to the manual. some people don't worry about it, but a few have said they needed them adjusted. it's not a cheap job, but I heard it's not too hard to at least inspect them if you're handy with a wrench. Just something for you to consider.

can you post a link to the phone mount you got? mine just holds the phone; it doesn't have any kind of charging connection. where do you plan on mounting it? I didn't have room on my bars for mine so I attached it to the rear view mirror.

Last edited by 1uglybastard; 02-15-2017 at 08:55 AM.
KawiGirl67 (02-16-2017)
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 09:51 AM

Not that it is absolutely required, but to be on the safe side, you can carry a fuel bottle, just in case.

Something like: https://www.amazon.com/MSR-MSRFUELBO...GE6?th=1&psc=1

Keep the rubber side down
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to sabbath666 For This Useful Post:
KawiGirl67 (02-16-2017)
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 10:45 AM
Seasoned Vet

i thought about recommending the fuel bottle as well.

If you don't want to spend the money or have to lug the bottle around, I recommend figuring out the fuel mileage on your bike and when is a good time to fill up. My fuel gauge would start blinking at 190 hwy miles. At that point, I still had about 55 miles before it was empty. Staying on the interstate made it easy to find gas. You have to be vigilant of signs that say there are long stretches of no services, though. I remember after Ft Stockton, Tx there was no gas for 80 miles along I-10; that'd be a bad stretch to be running on fumes.

another option is using a temporary bottle. I once used a Mt Dew wide mouth liter bottle to hold me over until I got to my destination.
KawiGirl67 (02-16-2017)
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
the valves are supposed to be checked at 15k miles according to the manual. some people don't worry about it, but a few have said they needed them adjusted. it's not a cheap job, but I heard it's not too hard to at least inspect them if you're handy with a wrench. Just something for you to consider.

can you post a link to the phone mount you got? mine just holds the phone; it doesn't have any kind of charging connection. where do you plan on mounting it? I didn't have room on my bars for mine so I attached it to the rear view mirror.
I ordered this one...arrived yesterday. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I plan to mount it under the windscreen (kinda difficult to explain the idea I had for that), maybe using one of the side mirror bolts if possible...otherwise I'm just going to drill a hole in the fairing next to the windscreen and attach it with a bolt/washers. I'll take a pic once I've got it on there! But I am REALLY happy with this mount! It is solid and holds the phone VERY tightly...I loaded my phone in there and shook it all around...no play at all.
I'll mention the valves to my mech...hopefully they will be good to go. The guy I got the bike from was also a mech and had the bike at a track day a couple weeks ago...so I'm thinking it might be in pretty good condition? Who knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbath666 View Post
Not that it is absolutely required, but to be on the safe side, you can carry a fuel bottle, just in case.

Something like: https://www.amazon.com/MSR-MSRFUELBO...GE6?th=1&psc=1
Good idea, thanks! There are definitely some long stretches without fuel available, and I don't know how far I can push the bike yet. Not going to take any chances though...and I figure I'm going to need to get off and stretch every couple hundred miles anyway.

Last edited by KawiGirl67; 02-15-2017 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Forgot link cause I haven't had me coffee...
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 06:00 PM

Garage
Maybe a small first aid kit, duct tape, and zip ties?
The Following User Says Thank You to tropicalbob For This Useful Post:
KawiGirl67 (02-16-2017)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page