Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

HELP! Front sprocket won't come off!!!

16K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  fradaj 
#1 ·
So I'm trying to get my front sprocket off but no luck. :(

I got my 160 lb brother stepping on my rear brake, put a lumber in between rear wheel and swingarm (just so that it won't move) and I got my breaker bar + 6 ft steel bar for more leverage.

I was trying to put my full force with breaker bar + 6ft steel bar. Although I weigh only 135 lbs, I think it was more than enough to take off my front sprocket, but didn't work. We've tried multiple times but no luck. Sprayed some Liquid Wrench, still no luck.

What should I do? I did some google search and some people said torch + impact wrench should work, but is that supposed to give you more power than breaker bar + 6ft steel bar?

#2 ·
What should I do? I did some google search and some people said torch + impact wrench should work, but is that supposed to give you more power than breaker bar + 6ft steel bar?
Yes. The weight you're putting on is coming on linear. Heat and impact wrench will "shock" it. If you have an inexpensive breaker bar, and don't care much for the socket you're using, try hitting it with a hammer a few times. Not big hits monster caveman hits. Just keep whacking it. The "shock" may help make it "unstuck". Then use the breaker bar and use body weight again.

#3 ·
You can get an electric impact wrench from Harbor Freight for about $20. Ironically, the six-sided impact socket that you need will probably cost more than that.

I'm not a big believer in long breaker bars, I've seen too many of them destroy the bearings on the drive shaft.

#4 ·
This may seem silly but this is something I have learned from
Years of construction: tighten it then loosen it. Just tighten it a hair then loosen it. Sometimes you need to get it moving as it can get stuck.

Once again do not go crazy but just a hair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 · (Edited)
How about just bringing it to any mechanic/flat fix place? Give the guy a 6 pack and he'll use his pneumatic impact wrench on it.

Coffee almost came out of my nose. Well done. Although I don't have the Earthquake (rated at 600lbs-ft???), I accidentally had my impact gun in the wrong direction once when I tried to loosen a lug nut. Luckily I caught on within a fraction of a second when my wrist was twisting the wrong way.

#7 ·
Update guys...

We do not have Harbour Freight in Canada so I just went to Canadian Tire and bought an electric impact wrench.
It did absolutely nothing, I don't know if that was because the impact wrench was rated at 240 lb-ft or what. I know some of them have a lot higher rating, but I don't really know if I'd want to be spending too much money without knowing if it would work.

Fortunately they told me I can return it if it didn't work so I think I'm just gonna return it.

So now I feel like my only option is to destroy the sprocket nut.

The question is...how do I do that? I don't think angle grinder would work?
I'm really worried that if I would just destroy the thread in the middle too, which would be a disaster because I won't be able to use a new nut if that happens.

#9 ·
If you're at the end of a 6ft breaker bar and lifting you'll apply more torque than the torque wrench, you just won't apply the impact force that it does by continually hitting it.

I use Aero Kroil instead of Liquid Wrench. Made the switch when I used Liquid Wrench/PB Blaster on some bolts twice a day for a week before attempting to loosen them. Didn't make a dent. Used Aero Kroil and let it sit for a couple hours and they turned loose.

When I swapped my front sprocket I used my impact wrench which is rated at 350 ft-lb. It took a bit, but got it off. Make sure you're using an impact socket or at least a 6 point socket. 12 points will ruin your day/week/bank account.

#11 ·
Uh... I hate to make a stupid statement, but you flattened the bent over washer first, right? Just checking, hahah.

I think the Harbor Freight electric model I have is 240 ft/lbs also. Never had a problem except one, and for that one I took a small blowtorch and heated up the nut a bit.

#12 ·
I was replacing the chain on my KLX-250 and could not get the nut off, the socket was actually slipping over the nut when I used an impact wrench. Took it to the dealer and they somehow were able to get it off and installed my new countershaft sprocket. I think it cost me $25.00.

#17 ·
Torque is a funny thing, using a breaker bar it's applied slowly. But when applied with a power tool, it's much more rapid with a mechanical "shock" -- there's probably a technical word for it. Push vs punch. Even a hammer on a breaker bar, the bar is bending and soaking up the torque spike.

#20 ·
Why not just ride it to a local shop (doesn't have to be motorcycle mechanic) and have them use their air tool to loosen it? Then tightened it back to spec, ride home and take it off by hand. I wouldn't feel comfortable destroying it. Angle grinder isn't a great idea. It'll suck if you accidentally touch something with the spinning cut off disc.

#21 ·
lol I just realized that I couldn't think about common sense til you mentioned it.

I guess the reason why I wanted to avoid going to the shop is because they will charge me $100/hr labour. In Canada, it's pretty common they charge $90/hr + tax for labour.

But yea, angle grinder sounds like a bad idea if I accidentally touch something.
I guess I'll just go to the shop.

#23 ·
I have been postponing it.
It's been snowing and raining, and during occasional better weather days, I have been working.

The motorcycle shops in Canada open Tuesday to Saturday, 9am-5pm, which is working time for most people except Saturday...so I haven't had a chance yet.

I am trying to bring my bike in as soon as I can and will post what happened here.

#25 · (Edited)
ok so I finally rode it to the local motorcycle shop.

Their impact gun didn't work, so they had to heat up the nut REALLY HOT (they said torch didn't work, they had to use something hotter, I forgot what it was) and had a 200+lb mechanic hanging on the end of extended breaker bar. (yes, his feet were actually off the ground)
It took them 3 attempts though.

The mechanic there told me that they had to do exact same thing with the couple of ZX6Rs came in not too long ago.
He said "Those ZX6Rs and now your 300... I don't know if it's Kawi thing or what"

Sounds pretty crazy. :|
Honestly, I'm a bit surprised that after all the beatings, the engine started fine and no transmission damage, no ball bearing damage, nothing. (as far as I can see)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.