Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

ABS light

9K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  markszabo 
#1 ·
New rider here, I bought a 2014 Ninja 300 ABS but, when I turn the key to the on position the ABS light doesn't turn on. Any suggestions? Does this mean that the ABS isn't working? Have any of you experienced something similar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 ·
Then you've obviously never had 'the pleasure' of a stupid effing jackass run a stop sign and pull out right in front of you, like I suffered recently. ABS saved my bacon! I locked up both wheels in the panic stop while I was leaning trying to avoid the imminent impact with the passenger van. The bike immediately got squirrely since I was leaning... then ABS kicked in. The bike righted itself, gave me back full control, and I missed clipping his rear bumper by merely an inch or two. I am now a true believer in ABS brakes. Without them I would have, at the very least, laid my Ninja down because it was getting really ugly, really fast.

Anyway, just my opinion, but that one incident forever changed my newfound respect for ABS brakes. :grin2:

#12 ·
Anyways, check if the ABS module is actually in the bike. It is located behind the motor. Sounds like a previous owner took those parts off and sold them. Or perhaps bike was wrecked and got new wheels from a non ABS model. Sounds like the bike is and ABS model - if it wasn't the ABS light would never light up.

#14 ·
ABS does increase the maintenance much more than keeping goo out of the slots. Bleeding an ABS system is a challenging procedure in comparison to a traditional MC/Caliper set up.

ABS adds about 4.5 pounds, mostly from the modulator.

The added lines and modulator do make for a more dulled brake feel.

Good brake control is more important than ABS.

Chill bra. He wasn't talking about you. It can be a good aid, he was saying that new riders shouldn't rely on it, they should develop the skills like you did.

#15 ·
I will never buy a bike without ABS. ABS hasn't saved my life on a bike - yet - but I want it there to give me every chance I can get to survive an encounter with someone not paying attention.

OP: If your bike doesn't have those parts, it's not an ABS-equipped bike. The 300 is still a great starter bike without it - but do take the time to educate yourself on the bikes before buying.

#16 ·
I bled my brakes when I changed the pads. Nothing different I had to do on my abs 300 vs my previous bikes without abs. Bled them the same exact way.

The 300 is the first bike Ive owned equipped with abs. All the previous bikes didn't have abs. I prefer abs. Peace of mind.

#18 ·
I'm confused. You sound like you're trying to be right about something. As far as I know, there's no difference between bleeding ABS brakes and non-ABS brakes. It's a closed loop system. You pump DOT fluid from the reservoir through open calipers until there's no bubbles. That's it. Dry lines? Same deal.

I fully respect your decision to buy a bike without ABS. Congrats, you spent less money. Bikes with ABS are safer. Can a pro rider stop a non-ABS bike shorter, on dry tarmac? Yes. In the wet? No. Because I ride my bike on the street, I chose to get a bike with ABS - also because I'm not a pro rider.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.