Turbo kit by Performance Technology - Page 2 - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 04:30 PM
Veteran

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by igotBarrs View Post
Why compare them when it is possible to have them both?
I was thinking the same thing, that would be a monster bike. However I don't believe it is actually feasible. First off, the compression will be so enormously high that I am not sure what fuel you will be able to use to run the bike. And even if you were able to run this monster setup and experience the performance gains from it, I am pretty sure the rest of the bike will grenade under the load, especially the transmission.

2013 Ninja 300 SE (Click part for info):
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
/
&
|
|
|
|
|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 09:16 PM
Seasoned Vet

The additional weight, cost, and complexity of such a kit ... might as well get 397 pound FZ-07 and maintain mpg, reliability, and instant power vs spool-up lag.

If you have the time and money, it's very cool though!
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 05:32 PM

So, after some talk and waiting, any news about retailing this turbo yet?

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 07:31 PM
Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Treizerxh
Decided to resurrect myself from the dead on this forum for this thread....

I'm going to assume this is your first bike so let me throw my two cents in; The Ninja is a great bike to start out with and hone your skills as a rider so that you don't make major mistakes on more powerful machines you're not ready to ride on. It wasn't engineered to be fast, so don't try to make it fast. Don't waste your money on a turbo. It's not worth the money for multiple reasons;

1st, you're going to end up wanting to upgrade your bike anyway.

2nd, If you're going to up the power of the bike by 100%, you better be ready to invest in everything else (tires, brakes, brake lines, etc). You need a way to control that extra power and this is going to cost you even more money

3rd, There's a reason manufacturers stopped turbo charging smaller bikes back in the day (in fact forever until the H2 came out, but the 300 is not an H2)

4th, you're going to end up wanting to upgrade your bike anyway.

This will bite you hard in the end if you're not willing to spend all the money to do this right. Save that money, learn to ride the shit out of your bike, and then use that money you were going to blow on a turbo as a down payment for a new, bigger, bike (or for a used one).

2013 Ninja 300 (sold after 2 solid years of ownership
)
2013 Honda CBR600rr
The Following User Says Thank You to Treizerxh For This Useful Post:
Yoermane (03-03-2017)
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 03:41 AM
Veteran

@Treizerxh - I totally agree with you, just too many guys who don't understand all about this theme follow the recommendations from one or in some cases of some more.
One is setting up his bike for race purpose and those who use their bike on the street only just do the same modifications.
Especially when it comes to mods for more power from the engine nearly nobody thinks about the brakes (one famous word from Porsche is: The brake always must be much stronger than the engine ever is!). That's all just irresponsible and even some who call themselves tuner don't talk about this most important thing.
Also this can be seen when one sets up his suspension for a closed race circuit and the followers do the same in the belief that anything like this is good on the street also, having too stiff springs and/or too heavy oil weight plus too high preload in most cases.
The suspension of my bike was setup by a guy who'd work at a Kwaki Racing Team and did the suspension job for bikes racing the TT, so he knows very well what's the best for the street (by the way he'd also set up bike for closed circuits, but one must listen what he's talking about this theme that the always flat race circuit is complete different to any street).
But what do we talk, since just too many are like this kind of animal <sorry I forgot the name> which always following the others and seldom uses the own brain.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 05:37 AM
Seasoned Vet

Garage
I think there are two schools of thought, IMHO.

There are those, the majority, who will buy a Ninja 300 and enjoy it, grow into it, learn, then grow out of it. That is the Majority.

There are others who just have to play. Have to experiment. There are Turbo Kits for the old Ninja 250 and they sold well. Yes, you can get a big bike with 150hp but that is a cheque book purchase.

So, if a guy wants to get a buzz from blowing a GPZ1000 away with a smaller bike, there will be those who will just want to do it, for the hell of it. I do agree that the brakes will need upgrading but that is not a difficult or expensive task. Get bigger brakes from a bigger bike. SOme may argue 'why would you bother' when you can simply get a bigger bike. There are some that just can't help them selves.

I admit I am one of these but for me, if one guy wants to buy a big bike and another wants to mod another, be it a diminutive moped or a H2 of the shelf unit, each to their own. By all means warn of the pitfalls but I would not look down on either path.

For the record, Turbo's are driven by heat, not gas flow. I have been asked if my head kit would also accept a turbo and as I have pointed out many times, the gas from the rotary valve removes far less heat from the gas charge as it exits the head, so would spool up earlier (so the theory goes) and would not be as temperamental to knock or require reduced compression (or not as much) due to the removal of the poppet valve which retains such heat.

Today the RVi head has come back to the workshop as the new rotor seals finally arrived and maybe, after I get it running, I might just pop a turbo on it too. Seeing as I've removed some complexity and weight, I could just go and add it back again.

On the integrity of the rest of the engine, yes I can see a massive hike in power might cause some mechanical reliability, but having poured over almost every cog and sprocket of this engine, I can tell you it is very, very well built and could easily take more power but there is a clutch upgrade which I would recommend.

Brakes, well yes, they are great as is but could be upgraded. Simple, look for a ZXR250 in a wreckers and fit the forks,. gaining a twin disk setup. O think they are already pretty good and better than some superbikes of a decade ago but if you add weight and power, they might need a little beefing.

To quote the Triumph sales catch phrase, some want to go their own way. For others, they are skilled in other areas that are not mechanical and so have enough cash to simply upgrade. What ever floats your boat brothers and sisters, but I would supercharge it my self, and I actually just might. There are some nice small one's about with good low end grunt available.

Again,. these are only my humble opinions and I think there will be a market for these turbo kits. Limited maybe, but someone will want to.
Jimbo in Thailand likes this.

Find something that works, make it better, break it, fix it, repeat.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Vet

I think many of you are completely missing the point.

People who purchase these kits are looking for fun, or having something unique, one of a kind motorcycle.
They're not trying to beat the land speed record.

Remember, it's a hobby, it doesn't make financial sense.

No, with mere 60hp turbo 300cc bike, it won't even beat a stock 130hp ZX-6R, but that's not the point.
Why don't they just turbo Hayabusa or ZX-14R instead? Maybe they don't need that much power.

I think people who mod bike to be more unique, have fun, etc...

People who drive Miata always get this kind of response when they get new exhaust, supercharger, etc...
" Why don't you just buy a fast car like GT-R or Supra? "
xorbe and kingsley wright like this.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 02:13 AM
Veteran

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 07:03 AM
Veteran

@Timpo I agree with you about individual and fun or unique bike, in these points you're right.
But let me for a better understanding tell you what Turbo means and what it is: Turbo means low compression rate and high boost - that's the way it generates power.
For sure it never means high compression rate in combination with low boost since that way it is nonsense, but this exactly is what all these not even semi-hobby-tuner do.
This is not only a waste of money (what I don't care about, because it's not mine), but that's also the reason for this projects don't have a long living.
When you do anything than do it right or better stay away when you don't have the understanding.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoermane View Post
@Timpo I agree with you about individual and fun or unique bike, in these points you're right.
But let me for a better understanding tell you what Turbo means and what it is: Turbo means low compression rate and high boost - that's the way it generates power.
For sure it never means high compression rate in combination with low boost since that way it is nonsense, but this exactly is what all these not even semi-hobby-tuner do.
This is not only a waste of money (what I don't care about, because it's not mine), but that's also the reason for this projects don't have a long living.
When you do anything than do it right or better stay away when you don't have the understanding.
yeah I know low compression ratio would be ideal for forced induction engines, but I've seen so many Civic, Miata, Corolla, 240SX and all the other natually aspirated engine with "bolt on turbo kit" and they do increase power just fine with stock internals. (whether or not it's good for the engine is another debate)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page