Is there a consensus on the best frame sliders? - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Is there a consensus on the best frame sliders?

So I know the most common brands for sliders are Yoshimura, Shogun, and the OEM ones. I've seen the Woodcraft ones mentioned a couple of times as well.

I'm not sure whether all the stories of Yoshimura/OEM sliders failures are just because they're the most common ones or due to the crappy design (probably a mix of both I would think). People seem to be happy with the Shoguns when the bikes do go down but at the same time people are critical of the design/placement of the actual sliders. Another downside to the Shoguns is they don't fit ABS models.

I was hoping there would be a clear consensus but clearly there isn't. There also seems to be the opinion that frame sliders aren't necessary for our bikes because the bike is so narrow. With that said, as a new rider I was hoping to figure out which would do the best job at saving the cosmetics if I dropped it. My bike has ABS so the Shoguns are a no go for me.

Which do you guys think I should get?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevet View Post
So I know the most common brands for sliders are Yoshimura, Shogun, and the OEM ones. I've seen the Woodcraft ones mentioned a couple of times as well.

I'm not sure whether all the stories of Yoshimura/OEM sliders failures are just because they're the most common ones or due to the crappy design (probably a mix of both I would think). People seem to be happy with the Shoguns when the bikes do go down but at the same time people are critical of the design/placement of the actual sliders. Another downside to the Shoguns is they don't fit ABS models.

I was hoping there would be a clear consensus but clearly there isn't. There also seems to be the opinion that frame sliders aren't necessary for our bikes because the bike is so narrow. With that said, as a new rider I was hoping to figure out which would do the best job at saving the cosmetics if I dropped it. My bike has ABS so the Shoguns are a no go for me.

Not scientific at all, but I've dealt with the Woodcraft, T-Rex, and Yoshimura frame sliders.

If low speed drops and cosmetics are the main concerns, I would vote T-Rex. The brackets subjectively feel significantly more substantial than the Yoshimura.

I have the Woodcraft under fairings for the track-primary bike and T-Rex on the street bike.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 08:35 PM

Quote:

I'm pretty sure the shogun fits the abs model as I'm pretty sure that's what I have on mine (bought the bike used with the sliders already installed). Also, check out the reviews on revzilla from abs owners: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/s...-300-2013-2015

I haven't crashed but set the bike down when I thought the kickstand was up and they did what they were supposed to.

2014 Ninja 300 ABS - Black
Akrapovic Titanium Slip On | Decatted Exhaust | FlashTune ECU | Shogun Frame Sliders | Michelin Pilot Street Radials & EBC HH brake pads | Puig Windscreen & Tail Tidy | Custom LED Integrated Tail Light | Red Shorty Levers | Oxford Heaterz Sport Grips | Red Plasti-dipped Rear Foot Peg Brackets | Red CustomTaylor33 reflective rim tape + Ninja & Kawasaki Logos | Red SSR Frame Plugs & Swingarm Spools | 1" Mirror Extenders

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjared View Post
I'm pretty sure the shogun fits the abs model as I'm pretty sure that's what I have on mine (bought the bike used with the sliders already installed). Also, check out the reviews on revzilla from abs owners: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/s...-300-2013-2015

I haven't crashed but set the bike down when I thought the kickstand was up and they did what they were supposed to.
These posts say otherwise...

Shogun Frame Sliders for 2013 ABS?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 11:14 PM
Veteran

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjared View Post
That's not what they're supposed to do - they're supposed to protect the frame not the fairings.

OP, everyone has their stories and opinions on frame sliders. One thing is for sure, they're good for cosmetics only on minor/slow drops, otherwise, in a crash your bike is fucked either way as many riders claim the frame sliders bent and did more damage than save- this is the worst case scenario by the way.

I have the shogun no-cut on mine but had i not gotten it at the time where there was a mistake on the seller's part, i wouldn't have gotten any. (got it for like 40 bucks).

Invest in decent gear and insurance.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 04:54 AM
Veteran

Oggy knobs. Got em on my gixx and love em. Sliders are designed only to save your fairings from very low speed or standing still drops, high speed slides and well the bikes screwed either way.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 09:43 AM
Forum Champion

Thanked 1,648 Times in 1,038 Posts
Garage
Sliders aren't "designed" to save fairings at all. The fact that they can at under 10 mph is a happy bonus. They're designed to save the frame and engine from "scraping" along the road during a low side and aren't designed around impacts so you're still pretty screwed if the bike high-sides or tumbles. Also, what people call "failures" is a mistake as the sliders are SUPPOSED to bend when they catch as you don't want that energy to be transferred into the engine and engine case through the mounting bolts and studs. A clear failure would be if they completely sheared off while sliding allowing the frame and engine to be ground up from the slide. Most people consider the sacrifice of tapping the engine mounting bolt holes a very small price to pay over trying to buy a whole new engine and frame (aka another bike.) They reason why you see a lot of bending from a lot of different sliders is because they're being used on public roads and not a track. They hit an imperfection or debris in the road and bent which is a hell of a lot better than what could have happened if they were super strong and rigid and instead imparted that energy right into the engine and frame. On most super sports, the soft aluminum frame and engine case would have bent and warped pretty badly totaling the bike if the sliders didn't bend when catching on that unseen lip.

The key thing is that there is no cure-all for completely protecting the bike when you go down. A slider can help in a very specific situation and can potentially cause more damage to covers and fairings in other situations. Sliders were designed around the concept that you can rebuild the whole bike so long as the main frame and engine are fine. Race teams generally only need those two components to survive as much as possible as they're limited in the amount of engines they can use per season and the custom frames can be extremely expensive and easily more than most of the other parts. Unless you are willing to replace everything but the frame and motor, I would suggest saving your money on the sliders and using it towards more rider training or replacement of needed consumables on the bike that'll do more to keep you off the ground than worry about what happens after you hit the ground. Hell, personal rider protection is worth more than the slight chance of salvaging a frame and motor. If your only real worry is about the bodywork and you aren't going to salvage your bike after a bad crash, sliders probably aren't for you. Let the bike go into the cold night and use your insurance to get a replacement. The extra cosmetic and tertiary damage a proper slider can do in some situations isn't worth it if you aren't going to rebuild the bike afterwards.
~Carrie~ and WhoAteMySoup like this.

2016 Yamaha WR250R (Team Yamaha Blue)
2007 Yamaha R1 (Team Yamaha Blue)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 04:53 PM
Seasoned Vet

Garage
A lot of track guys don't use sliders because they bent and make the bike flip, the fairings are there to take the slide and easy to repair or replace. Where as if the sliders get caught at a bad angle they flip the bike potentially ruining the frame when it falls back down.

We also have track guys that use sliders so it comes down to preference and previous experiences.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 07:53 PM
Seasoned Vet

Garage
Mid to high speed slides without a slider would be only fairings that need replacement. Bad slide with a slider will do frame or engine damage in addition to the fairings.

Total lost crash is a total lost crash. But some hard crashes (without the sliders) are only fairing damage and no frame or engine casing being damaged by the sliders.

The sliders can actually add additional damage by digging into the engine case or cause additional stress to the frame. And some times the bike just flips because the sliders get caught.

Most cases (low to mid speed crashes) the bike slides on the slider and nothing really get damaged.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 05:32 AM
Seasoned Vet

Quote:

If you're looking for something that does the best job protecting your bike, just get Zeus, it's even better than Shogun. Not to mention Yoshimura or OEM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page