Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

Changed my gears. 14:44

7K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Jimbo in Thailand 
#1 · (Edited)
Shout to @Spacep0d for his video on Youtube. I googled 'ninja 300 front sprocket removal' and his video came up first.
I didn't know what size socket to use and didn't have a 27mm on hand (autozone). I used an impact gun was the only difference.
Thank you dude!

Went to a 44 in the rear and put a fresh 14 in the front with a sweet new blue colored EK chain.

Although I had talked to @vulgr about what he was running because he races down under on (14:43), I was like F it lets go 2 up and get wicked acceleration out of the corner and get it to stand up faster.

Sure I lost a little top end but I dgaf, I don't race.

I haven't taken it for a real ride yet but Sunday is close!

I have been focusing on getting my bike to be more track oriented, although it is primarily ridden as a canyon junkie and goes to the track every other month or so. I say this only because this change of gearing decreases gas mileage a hair and makes gears 'shorter', but it already only barely gets 200 miles to a tank opposed to like 250ish when it was stock.

My first impression is:
Way better accel off the line and the speedometer isn't worth a damn anymore lol.

See less See more
#2 ·
Shout to @Spacep0d for his video on Youtube. I googled 'ninja 300 front sprocket removal' and his video came up first.
I didn't know what size socket to use and didn't have a 27mm on hand (autozone). I used an impact gun was the only difference.
Thank you dude!

Went to a 44 in the rear and put a fresh 14 in the front with a sweet new blue colored EK chain.

Although I had talked to @vulgr about what he was running because he races down under on (14:43), I was like F it lets go 2 up and get wicked acceleration out of the corner and get it to stand up faster.

Sure I lost a little top end but I dgaf, I don't race.

I haven't taken it for a real ride yet but Sunday is close!

I have been focusing on getting my bike to be more track oriented, although it is primarily ridden as a canyon junkie and goes to the track every other month or so. I say this only because this change of gearing decreases gas mileage a hair and makes gears 'shorter', but it already only barely gets 200 miles to a tank opposed to like 250ish when it was stock.

My first impression is:
Way better accel off the line and the speedometer isn't worth a damn anymore lol.
Glad the vid helped! I like a 14/40 setup, so if you ever want to try an alternate, check that out! Either way, glad you're enjoying the new gearing!

#3 ·
You more than likely are getting about the same mileage. The change in sprocket is similar to changing tire height. Different size will make the ODO track faster or slower depending on which way you went. You might actually be getting better mileage because a larger sprocket on the back makes it easier on the engine to turn it.

#6 ·
WOW, 14:44! With this sprint mod you must be pretty darn quick coming off the line streetlight to streetlight. I've just gone the other way and swapped my stock 14T with a 15T but kept the stock rear 42T.

#9 · (Edited)
Update on switch to 15T sprocket.

Had to do my Wednesday 44km (one way) trip to go teach today at the rural high school near where I recently used to live so strapped on my Globalsat GPS watch and hit the road. The Ninja speedometer is now virtually (the old hipster definition) on the money. If anything, it's now maybe just a 'pubic' hair slower than actual speed. I checked various speeds and concentrated on maintaining a constant speed during each interval, which ain't that easy. I was pleasantly surprised that the Ninja speedo now closely matches the GPS. I would guess it's within +/- 0.5km/hr, or less, but since the speedo displays in whole numbers only I can certainly say it's within +/- 1km/hr (significant digits). I even measured a few times with the Ninja speedo bouncing back and forth between speeds, 99-100km/hr e.g., trying to approximate 99.5km/hr and comparing it to the GPS. It was extremely tedious to try to hold that flickering speed for a few seconds to allow the GPS to lock onto that interval. The few times I managed to do it during the whole round trip the GPS nearly matched the speedo by bouncing around the .5km/hr increment so I'm happy the speedo is pretty accurate now.

OK... here's the BIG QUESTION...

How is it that Kawasaki can design an amazing ultra-high-revving dependable lightweight 300 engine and also a great handling chassis but can't provide an accurate speedo?! It boggles the effing mind! My little Honda CBR also suffers a similar inaccuracy. In both cases the speedo inflated the actual speed slightly by 3-5km/hr. If anyone has the answer I'd love to know, but admit three ideas have crossed my mind. To wit:

The first is maybe the manufacturers are trying to save the rider a little heartache knowing he/she will never do the speed limit anyway so trying to help slightly, from a speeding ticket perspective.

The second is maybe the manufacturers are thinking most riders will opt for larger tires anyway so are preemptively attacking the problem.

The third one is a little more sinister. How much total savings can a manufacturer pocket on warranty repairs for all models worldwide if the inflated odometer reading cuts, say 5%, off the length of each warranty interval. That's bound to be at least a small consideration for total global sales.

If anybody has any info or ideas please chime in.

Merry Christmas everybody! :wink2:

#10 ·
I went with the 15t spocket and kept the stock 42t rear one for the last year or so but now have a 43t sprocket and nice new green chain ready to go on mine. Mainly from reading Spacepod's comment
"I'll say one thing. The 15/43 combo is OUTSTANDING. If you have only done the 15 in front, you're missing out if you don't add a 43 in back. It shortens the gearing just-enough to be awesome, while keeping most of the benefit of that longer first gear. I feel like I have a faster bike now because literally, the gearing helps me access the power in the mid-range, coming out of corners, passing, etc. The bike just spools up faster, and it actually changes I approach corners due to the extra entry speed. Part of that is just getting used to it. I love it."
Since I already have the 15t front decided to go that way. I'll let you all know the difference as soon as I get it installed. Jimbo you might be shopping for a 43t sprocket soon too, and now you know where to go to get it ( sorry couldn't resist )
(footnote: Spacepod did eventually go to a 14/40 set up)

#11 ·
nice @reggae5 and @jimbo

So besides going in the complete opposite direction with the gearing ratio for a 'longer first gear or whatever it is', I think that's awesome!

I would have to say that going to 15:43 or any gearing that decreases the ratio, would give a better top speed but slower accel.
This is basic mechanics srsly, if you were in 2nd gear at 40 mph vs. 6th gear at 40 mph which one will accel faster?
15:43 = 2.87 turns of the front sprocket to 1 turn of the rear sprocket = less revs for per given speed slower accel
14:42 = 3 turns = parental approved stock ratio
14:44 = 3.15 turns = more revs per given speed higher accel

Back to the topic on hand

Acceleration is definitely better all the way up to 90-95 mph through every gear
Even once you hit 6th it doesn't just drag ass until you get to the red line.
The fastest I ever got my bike to was 124 (with stock gearing) and it took forever to inch it's way past even 110ish, (on S2 East San Diego and according to the onboard dash)
I think the engine braking is a little bit better too
The throttle response (quick turn plus new gearing) is greatly more responsive
The top speed of the bike now is about 112mph actual (speedo says 118), figured it out using a GPS
6th gear is no longer the let down it used to be, if your in a place to pin it and can run through 5th the next gear actually keeps accelerating at a decent pace.

I frequently ride with a friend on a liter bike
the new gearing helps the little bike significantly to get back upright exiting the turn and not get smoked 'as rapidly' by a liter bike when they get on the gas
like i said if your in a big sweeper where you actually 'need' to get to 6th the bike keeps accelerating up to its top speed even while leaned.
It really helps the little motor move its ass

Overall i think i would have a 14:43 rear if i was racing, the bike now is just a barrel of monkeys. I really need to tune my PCV /ECU and get rid of the cat lol procrastinating

Oh and what the hell is that 'streetlight to streetlight' stuff @jimbo

#12 ·
nice @reggae5 and @jimbo

So besides going in the complete opposite direction with the gearing ratio for a 'longer first gear or whatever it is', I think that's awesome!

I would have to say that going to 15:43 or any gearing that decreases the ratio, would give a better top speed but slower accel...
Of course you're right, but there are other considerations for some of us old farts and/or commuter/cruiser types. While I've obviously lost a little raw acceleration in the swap to a 15T (most noticeable in 1st gear) we are talking about a 300cc engine and not a liter bike. For me this compromise is nearly perfect as not only was 1st gear way too short, but the remaining gears also close together. The taller 15:42 ratio helps to space them out a tad, so makes them more useable. For me, the 300 now just feels more versatile so waaaaay better.

And like I mentioned, another benefit is I'm not constantly trying to shift into a phantom 7th gear at cruise like I was with the stock 14:42 ratio. Regarding a 14:43 setup I doubt I'll even go there since I like the 15:42 ratio so much. That said I will be snagging an aftermarket cat-less exhaust in the not too distant future to go along with my PCV and K&N to hopefully restore a little of that 14:42 1st gear goodness. >:)

Oh and what the hell is that 'streetlight to streetlight' stuff @jimbo
LOL, that's what we used to call in-the-city drag racing, whether in our muscle cars or fast bikes. Friday and Saturday nights we used to 'cruise the boulevard' lookin' for hot babes and also for the adrenalin rush of streetlight to streetlight drags. These were typically 0-80mph bursts, some rolling start, depending on the spacing of the traffic lights so no high final speeds, but fast enough to declare a winner. :grin2:

#13 · (Edited)
Rode today at a spirited pace to really test it out

i got 138 miles to the tank, in the street! hehe

Engine braking is not better with this ratio as i had said at first, although I'm spending even more time at the top end now which is where you get the best engine braking, it's different for sure but not in a negative way

the torque curve feels a lot smoother

You have to get used to taking more turns in 6th with this gearing (anything over 90MPHish) but so as long as your putting weight into the pegs its okay, i'm definitely considering racetech springs but I haven't done any suspension work thus far

It gets to the top end of 6th which never really happened before unless you were practically on an airport runway and straight up

You have to downshift no matter what when your going up in elevation and turning, I still felt like I was in a JAWS movie coming out of a turn going uphill, the liters just walked right by me

Riding with a gsxr1000 an HP4 and an s1000r, it's quite noticeable how the 300 now is able to pull out of the turn and not get eaten by the liter power so quickly
^ depending on who's riding the liter i guess

At the track I wouldn't be staying up with a skilled rider on a liter but the street's a little different

and @Jimbo in Thailand, at least you're young at heart =)

#14 ·
Finally checked mileage on 15T/42T

I filled up yesterday. It took 11.67 liters and the trip meter indicated 309.0km/191.6mi. = 26 km/liter or 62 mpg (US gal). This is fantastic because this was mixed city/hwy riding. I'm thinking about heading down to Pattaya next week to meet an Irish buddy, which is about 600km/372mi away. If I do go I'll check my hwy mileage.

FWIW I always use 95 octane gasohol since it's not much more expensive than 91 octane gasohol. Thailand's 95 octane is roughly equivalent to 91 octane in the US, since the US uses Anti Knock Index (AKI) = (RON+MON)/2 octane-rating method while Thailand uses the RON method.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.