Hello! Choosing a ninja 300 for 1st time rider. - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Hello! Choosing a ninja 300 for 1st time rider.

Hey everyone,

I've always found motorcycles/sportsbikes appealing but never had a chance to try 1st hand. Ended up getting project cars, fixing them up, driving, selling. Even built a few road bicycles from the wheel up.

After putting weeks of thought into it, i am set on getting a bike. Checking the options for intro bikes it I am sold on the 300 class. My 1st choice would be the KTM model but its just more than I am wanting to spend. The Ninja 300 seems like the best choice out of the other comp (Honda/Yamaha, etc...).

My local dealer is having a sale till the 28th. I found a brand new 2014 Ninja 300 se for $3,500. I haven't gotten a OTD price on it yet but i suspect it shouldn't be that much more. I'll make an offer or at least getting some extra gear maybe. Not sure how firm they are yet. I planned on just loading it in the back of a small pick up after purchase.

I don't have my license or gear yet to ride but plan on taking a weekend course in 2 weeks. (the soonest one open that I can find atm)

Any thoughts, suggestions, is the bike I mentioned worth the price the dealer is asking.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 02:30 PM
Forum Champion

Garage
Kelley Blue Book shows a retail value of $4225 for a used 2014 ABS model and $3865 for a used 2014 without ABS - both numbers are for my zip code, so depending on where you are, that value could be slightly higher. I would say that's a very fair price for a new one. You can always ask them to give you a couple hundred in gift certificates for their shop or throw in the first service for free.

It's a girl on a bike...it's Rogue!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Twitter: @Rogue_300
Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Instagram: Rogue_300

Do you rock it?

The Following User Says Thank You to Rogue For This Useful Post:
Tbacon (02-19-2017)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 08:45 PM

As Rogue said, it really depends on where you're at but that sounds like a good deal! Here in Phoenix I was able to purchase a 2014 ABS model with 14.5k on the odo for $2750. It had been dropped on the left side, but damage was very minimal(no fairing cracks, nothing crazy). A brand new one for that price (OTD, hopefully) looks good.
Also, good on you for taking a safety course. Just remember not to skimp on the gear! Ride safe, and welcome to the world of motorcycling!
The Following User Says Thank You to Daytonads For This Useful Post:
Tbacon (02-19-2017)

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 10:10 PM

The Ninja 300 is a fine bike, best in class in my opinion. Bike is easy to ride and fun as well.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 12:46 PM

Just make sure you are ok with the power. When I was buying my motorcycle people around me kept telling me you should start on smaller bike etc etc.

I regretted my purchase within 10-15 days. Dont get me wrong it is a good bike (probably the best 300). But for me 300 was just not enough power and this is the case for 90% of the people.

600's are perfect starting bike and if you think there is any chance of upgrading in the future just start on 600.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 12:23 AM
Forum Champion

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahm12 View Post
Just make sure you are ok with the power. When I was buying my motorcycle people around me kept telling me you should start on smaller bike etc etc.

I regretted my purchase within 10-15 days. Dont get me wrong it is a good bike (probably the best 300). But for me 300 was just not enough power and this is the case for 90% of the people.

600's are perfect starting bike and if you think there is any chance of upgrading in the future just start on 600.
What 90% of the people? Also, there's a huge difference between, say a 600 supersport and a Suzuki SV-650 or Kawasaki Vulcan. Sure, they're all in the 600 class, however, one group is going to lift the front end and potentially leave a new rider on their butt when they over throttle or dump the clutch. The others are rather anemic in performance. No completely new rider should start on a supersport because those bikes are not forgiving of n00b mistakes.

It's a girl on a bike...it's Rogue!

Twitter: @Rogue_300
Blog:

Instagram: Rogue_300

Do you rock it?

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 01:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonads View Post
As Rogue said, it really depends on where you're at but that sounds like a good deal! Here in Phoenix I was able to purchase a 2014 ABS model with 14.5k on the odo for $2750. It had been dropped on the left side, but damage was very minimal(no fairing cracks, nothing crazy). A brand new one for that price (OTD, hopefully) looks good.
Also, good on you for taking a safety course. Just remember not to skimp on the gear! Ride safe, and welcome to the world of motorcycling!
Nice, I actually found an even better deal imo. A 2016 ABS model with 500 miles on it for $4k. Still under warranty. Comes with a nice bit of extras (slip on, fold out storage/cover, tank pad/grips, steering damper, a couple wind screens, frame sliders and more).
Going to pick it up tuesday.

Another question, since i'm new and have zero gear or know what fits. I was looking for suggestions on a jacket (for warm weather), boots, gloves, helmet, pants. Looking for something mid tier that will last, not too cheap but not the expensive stuff. (around a $600-$800 budget on all my essential gear)

Wanted to get some better tires if the ones on it are stock as well. (Herd good things about the diablo rosso IIIs)

Quote:

Worst case scenario I sell it and break even at minimum, might even turn a slight profit OR I hand it down to my wife. She wanted to ride but soon as I mentioned most bikes are manual she backed down. I think she could learn though.
Rogue likes this.

Last edited by Tbacon; 02-19-2017 at 09:25 AM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
Quote:

What 90% of the people? Also, there's a huge difference between, say a 600 supersport and a Suzuki SV-650 or Kawasaki Vulcan. Sure, they're all in the 600 class, however, one group is going to lift the front end and potentially leave a new rider on their butt when they over throttle or dump the clutch. The others are rather anemic in performance. No completely new rider should start on a supersport because those bikes are not forgiving of n00b mistakes.
This is where I disagree . I find 600 super sports forgiving. They don't make any power below 9000 rpm . It's very hard to lift front end in 600 unless you really rev it up.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbacon View Post
Hey everyone,

I've always found motorcycles/sportsbikes appealing but never had a chance to try 1st hand. Ended up getting project cars, fixing them up, driving, selling. Even built a few road bicycles from the wheel up.

After putting weeks of thought into it, i am set on getting a bike. Checking the options for intro bikes it I am sold on the 300 class. My 1st choice would be the KTM model but its just more than I am wanting to spend. The Ninja 300 seems like the best choice out of the other comp (Honda/Yamaha, etc...).

My local dealer is having a sale till the 28th. I found a brand new 2014 Ninja 300 se for $3,500. I haven't gotten a OTD price on it yet but i suspect it shouldn't be that much more. I'll make an offer or at least getting some extra gear maybe. Not sure how firm they are yet. I planned on just loading it in the back of a small pick up after purchase.

I don't have my license or gear yet to ride but plan on taking a weekend course in 2 weeks. (the soonest one open that I can find atm)

Any thoughts, suggestions, is the bike I mentioned worth the price the dealer is asking.

Thanks
By the way OTD price will be around 4300-4500. They are going slap destination and assembly fee.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
By the way OTD price will be around 4300-4500. They are going slap destination and assembly fee.
I figured it'd be around $400-$500 tops but they ended up quoting me at $4,225 OTD. ($700+ over the sale price) If it had ABS I'd pick it up now but I found a 2016 model locally, even with abs and very low miles for the same price.
It comes with over 1k in extras which is really helps save me money. All I need now is to get some gear, take weekend riders class and obtain the full motorcycle license.

Does Revzilla offer good deals on most their gears? I've been comparing prices between them amazon and some other sites. They seem to have a vast inventory with the lowest prices.

Last edited by Tbacon; 02-19-2017 at 09:39 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page