3 Weeks Riding + Wheelie = Disaster - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
3 Weeks Riding + Wheelie = Disaster

I knew it was going to happen, didn't think it was going to be this soon however. I bought my 2014 ninja 300 non abs about 4 weeks ago, and I started riding the same day I got it. No MSF no licence, just me and empty roads. I rode and I rode didn't want to stop, rode in the cold, in the rain, and in the middle of the night. I met some guys from school who also ride and rode with them a couple times. After hitting the highway a couple times perfecting on ramps and off ramps, I got cocky. I wanted to practice going fast, or somewhat fast. I found out that you really cant go that fast in a ninja 300, but I was still having fun. Then arrogance kicked in, and I wanted to practice wheelies and burnouts, so I went to an empty parking lot with no gear on except helmet and started practicing (my philosphy was I wouldn't need gear since I wouldn't be going above 30 MPH) This was like my second time practicing wheelies and I was doing pretty good. Got the wheel up a bunch of time just wanted to hold the wheelie longer( didnt practice pressing rear brake to go down) So I decided I wanted to go higher and for longer so I did. AND I got super high and I held it for a while then (AT THIS MOMENT I REALIZED I F**KED UP) I think the fender scraped and then I fell on my back going like 15-20 mph maybe. My bike flow from underneath and kept going for another 20 feet. I was in shock and someone saw the whole thing and just looked at me. I eventually got up and asked him for help lifting the bike. And then I saw the damage. Rear brake is hanging on by a thread, whole right fairing is scratched and cracked at points and handle bars and exhaust were scratched up. I went to see if the bike would turn on and it did, so i got on to see if it was ridable but it kept leaning towards the right. I texted one of the guys that i met at school who has a ninja 300 and he came to check it out. (Deemed unreadable back home) One of my other friends with a truck came and we loaded it on there to take to the shop, but shop was closed yesterday and toady.

Now I need your help, people are telling me the front fork is bent(bare with me I've been riding for 3 weeks dont really know what that is) and the rear brake mount peg thing is broken. I want to know if you guys could tell me how much you think it will cost to fix both. and should I just file a claim through my insurance. but i have a one thousand dollar deductible.

I know I messed up and I was stupid but at least this happened in a parking lot where I didnt hurt anyone else.

and I am fine I guess just hurts to sit and walk and get up. But I am pretty sure that will go away.

Acura TL/Subaru Outback/Honda Civic/Ninja 300 RIP/ 2015 Ninja 650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
JDM 4 Life

It's not about getting from point A to Point B, its about how you get there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
http://www.kawasakininja300.com/foru...=89730&thumb=1

This is one pic of the bike after
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2016-03-07-15-52-33.jpg (136.5 KB, 211 views)
KawiAndRolla likes this.

JDM 4 Life

Last edited by Seif96; 03-07-2016 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Pic didnt show
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 05:02 PM
Seasoned Vet

damn, hella of a story, glad you weren't practicing on the roads.
and glad you didn't get a more powerful bike.

if i were you id not tell insurance and pay it out of pocket. it wont be good for your rates. others might chime in.
KawiAndRolla likes this.

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
This is how far the bike went
http://www.kawasakininja300.com/foru...=89738&thumb=1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crop.jpg (332.5 KB, 136 views)
KawiAndRolla and WhoAteMySoup like this.

JDM 4 Life

post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 05:12 PM
Veteran

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seif96 View Post
No MSF no licence
Ya, don't tell insurance about this one. Not sure on cost but I think out of pocket will be cheaper in the long run.

2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 06:03 PM
Post Whore

If I were you, I wouldn't report it to the insurance company seeing you have $1,000 of deductible. What confuses me is this...how were you able to purchase insurance for the bike with no license? If I remember correctly, insurance companies require you to provide them with your driver license (to show proof of the "M" endorsement).
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
they just needed a permit, so I got one. its just like a simple dmv test here in jersey. I have riders insurance.

JDM 4 Life

post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,082 Times in 1,355 Posts
Garage
Wow. If it weren't for the pic of your bike I'd guess you were trolling, LOL....assuming that's your bike. But, for the sake of argument;

1. All the gear, all the time. There's an initialism for it. ATGATT. Crashing hurts, even below 30 mph.

2. If you're new to riding then how do you know how to do wheelies? Seems like a bizarre choice to make when you're new. Stop that. I mean, I guess I don't need to tell you now, eh?

3. You should probably do MSF and get your license....I mean there are a zillion ways to kill yourself on a bike..and ways you won't even realize until you've had training and seat time.

Anyway, glad you're somewhat okay...but geez man. Heal well, regroup and do it right.
2y4life likes this.

Spacep0d's
!

2013 Triumph Daytona 675R
Austin Racing V3 Titanium exhaust (baffled), professionally-shaved seat, T-Rex sliders, Pazzo shorty levers, Tech Spec tank grips, tail tidy, Watsen marker lights. Only 23 lbs. heavier than the 300!

Get your ZX-3R decals
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 07:31 PM
Veteran

Kudos to you for going for wheelies at 4 weeks in. As far as I am concerned, exploring the limit in a safe environment is always a good thing. But like spacepod said, wear your gear man.
Since we are on the subject, I too, want to do wheelies on my Ninja 300, and unlike the OP, I have a whole 4 month of riding experience, so I am good, right? My previous attempts at dumping the clutch at around 5-7K were not very successful, and mostly just scared me. So how does one go about a proper wheelie?
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 09:00 PM
Forum Champion

Thanked 1,648 Times in 1,038 Posts
Garage
First of all, that parking complex is nowhere near a safe environment to practice stunting in. Too many obstacles in the support pylons everywhere along with regular traffic that'll come in and out. It's very easy to injure or kill someone with a ghosting bike and the last thing you need to worry about are random people driving or walking through that particular lot. Even though people say that should be plenty of room, people hit trees at the edge of ski slopes all the time and die and that's a much wider path to be working with. All of the people I've known who took up and practice stunting do so in an entirely empty lot with nothing on it. Pretty much turns it into a giant skid pad. A common place they used to use were the empty lots at a college campus on the weekend until the cops come to kick them off. You should also get fully licensed with training as you've probably gained a whole lot of bad habits and the longer you wait to take the course, the harder it will be to learn proper technique. Also, in a lot of places, stunting, even in a parking lot, can be considered reckless driving which gives it's own citation and can prevent you from getting your license proper having a citation (or in some places a misdemeanor if no one is hurt or no damage involved,) along with skyrocketing insurance rates. Wear all your gear as coming off at any speed sucks. Ask a cyclist that's had a major road crash and they'll tell you that crashing below 30 mph can suck just the same.

Stunting a bike is one of the most stressful things you can do to a bike and it's forcing the bike to operate well outside of its design. This is why many stunted bikes, barring any nasty crashes, tend to not last long at all. Wheelies especially are probably the worst thing you can do to a bike as you're putting a huge strain on the engine, transmission and when you come back down, the suspension. It's very common to see blown fork seals, bent forks and rims from one too many wheelies where the suspension can't take the load and the rest of the bike end up absorbing that energy.
mmshiro likes this.

2016 Yamaha WR250R (Team Yamaha Blue)
2007 Yamaha R1 (Team Yamaha Blue)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page