300 crash - hit & run - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

300 crash - hit & run

Hey guys,
I just bought the bike a couple of months ago and got into an accident yesterday.
To make a long story short, the lady behind the car wheel tried to escape, but luckily i had my GoPro cam on the helmet turned on.
With that helpful video (i've added some nice music and slowmo), police was able to get her in less than an hour:
https://youtu.be/JlKJSKQlqpI

I know i am stupid to rely on someone's vision skills, but this lady was completely blind and i should have predicted that.

The question is: what's next? did any of you got into an accident like this? should i hire a layer and get a compensation for the injuries? (just broke my finger)

Last edited by chaosmage; 10-19-2016 at 07:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 06:57 PM
Post Whore

You make a claim through their insurance. IANAL but if the broken finger caused you to not be able to work you may be able to get your back pay. I'd only get a lawyer if their insurance won't pay for your medical bills/replace bike/etc in a reasonable amount of time. I highly doubt you're going to get some large settlement because of a broken finger.

I'd also recommend taking down the video until the process is complete. You never know what the insurance company's lawyer will do.

Most lawyers will talk to you for free, so if you're unsure of how to proceed you can contact one for an initial consultation.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 Ninja 300 (stock for now)
2012 Audi S4 (grocery getter)
2007 Ducati 1098S (not stock)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 07:46 PM
Seasoned Vet

Garage
I can't see how posting the video could do any harm to your case. It looks like you were really lucky to walk away with minimal injury and I'm glad they caught the scumbag

amateur racer #128
race sponsor-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 09:16 PM
Forum Champion

Garage
Out of curiosity, why didn't you swerve or try to stop once she started the left turn across your path?
Jimbo in Thailand likes this.

It's a girl on a bike...it's Rogue!

Twitter: @Rogue_300
Blog:

Instagram: Rogue_300

Do you rock it?

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 11:01 PM
Forum Champion

Thanked 1,648 Times in 1,038 Posts
Garage
What can make this kind of iffy in some places is that WELL before you got to that intersection they were already slowly rolling through the intersection. They car's front end is already shifting through past the stop line right where you cut the video in so you would have seen been seeing the car starting to move before even the cut happened. The video makes it look like you had well over 100 feet to make a stop and could have stopped in time if you had noticed that they were very slowly crawling through the intersection. Hell, if they had accelerated up to normal speeds to get through the intersection that most people do, they would have been all the way through it and you wouldn't have hit them. So you were either going too fast for conditions or just haven't developed the visual skills yet or both. I am looking quite a good ways away and when city riding (nearly all the time,) I always cover my clutch and front brake to shorten my slow ass reaction time a bit. I also am scanning fairly far ahead and looking for cars poking their nose out. The moment I see a vehicle primed and ready to go in front of me at any moment, I slow down to a comfortable speed so that I may stop for them if they decide to lose their fucking minds and go for it. There is a point of no return though to where you're now committed and can't stop for trouble anymore and it's usually at this point that I'd start to accelerate to limit my time within this narrow window of getting rekt.

So what can make this kind of thing a bit hard to adjudicate is that many places, especially CA, have laws that stipulate that you cannot enter an intersection unless it's already cleared and you wouldn't be impeding traffic by stopping in it. While the other driver gets in trouble for violating right of way and fleeing a collision where someone was injured (felony hit and run in a lot of places including CA), you can potentially find yourself getting cited for entering the intersection when not safe and clear. It's every driver's duty to ensure the bit of road they're about to be in is clear of hazards and traffic. I would definitely at least talk with an attorney that specializes with multiple party collisions (accident attorney) and get an opinion. You were injured in this and they ran so they're going to potentially be on the bad end of the police report. It's usually advised to not post footage until after a settlement has been made as it's considered evidence and some lawyers have been successful of getting publicly released evidence thrown out. So the general rule now has been to not post video footage until releases have been signed. Stick it to their insurance if they have it (it's generally the reason why people flee collisions.) If they don't have it, you may need a lawyer to bring them to civil court and try to recoup damages directly. Although it's fairly certain that if they fled because they didn't have insurance, they probably don't have much in the way of assets to seek. Although I guess you could have what few assets they have forcefully liquidated but that's a whole other legal headache to deal with that will take a lot of time. It'd be easier in that case to just file a claim with your insurance company and let them chase the other party through the legal system.

So for future reference, you should be riding a bit slower in residential or congested areas. Remember as well that every driveway, entrance/exit are also intersections so you need to be very alert in the thick of the city. Many city riders here will tell you that shit comes from out of nowhere and everywhere in the city. You can relax a bit more on the freeway but you'd have to be more alert at transition points before and after exits and on-ramps.
dkw12002, Rogue, mmshiro and 1 others like this.

2016 Yamaha WR250R (Team Yamaha Blue)
2007 Yamaha R1 (Team Yamaha Blue)
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 11:53 PM
Seasoned Vet

My thoughts exactly Freelancer.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 01:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
Out of curiosity, why didn't you swerve or try to stop once she started the left turn across your path?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreelancerMG View Post
The video makes it look like you had well over 100 feet to make a stop and could have stopped in time if you had noticed that they were very slowly crawling through the intersection.
True true true, that was more my mistake as i was risking my own life with such inattentive driving.
The point is, i don't know why, i was absolutely sure that the car is slowing down to give me the right of way, even in the middle of the intersection. So, i realized that some sh*t gonna happen only a few feet before the car, thats visible on the video - i slammed both brakes, but it was too late.

Why i did not swerve? I was unsure if the car is going to stop or accelerate, and swerving to the left would lead me directly into the car if it has stopped. So, i've tried to evade the collision and moved a little bit to the right, and hit the rear part of the car, what was a mistake again.

Summarizing all above, i definitely need more experience, need to develop motor skills on how to evade the collision and perform emergency braking. My reaction time was horrible.

FreelancerMG, ducati_dave thanks for your advice, i have removed the video and will try to get in touch with accident attorney.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 02:36 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,082 Times in 1,355 Posts
Garage
I had an old lady do this to me too. She was creeping in front of me like she was anticipating my right of way, but she never stopped creeping. I didn't know it was an old lady until after I stopped and dropped my bike (with a very minor bump against the side of her car). Thankfully, I sensed things going wrong and braked, and my speed was very reasonable when I first noticed something amiss. So, although I was already slowing down, I didn't realize she wasn't stopping until I was just 10 feet or so away from her. Creeping is worse than just going for it because one, someone who turns at a normal speed would make it before we get there (in some cases) and two, creeping gives the illusion of anticipation, not a completely irrational and slow-motion failure-to-yield.

Your video is now private, but glad you survived it. Glad they found her too...can't believe she tried to run. Be sure you get an attorney on the case as mentioned in the thread. She deserves everything coming at her for trying to run. She also still needs to yield right of way, even your speed is in question.

Spacep0d's
!

2013 Triumph Daytona 675R
Austin Racing V3 Titanium exhaust (baffled), professionally-shaved seat, T-Rex sliders, Pazzo shorty levers, Tech Spec tank grips, tail tidy, Watsen marker lights. Only 23 lbs. heavier than the 300!

Get your ZX-3R decals
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 02:34 PM
Veteran

Maybe rent this .......................

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...5db2a56e58.jpg
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 10:15 PM
Veteran

Garage
Yeah, I watched this video yesterday but decided not to comment because I didn't want to play devil's advocate and appear too negative. But now that other experienced riders have posted I can say that it looked to me that you, chaosmage, were not only speeding, but asleep at the grips. You definitely should have been able to avoid that accident, even at the speed you were traveling. Of course, there's still no excuse for the car fleeing the scene, but if I were a cop, I would have cited both of you for the accident.

My advice is to slow down a little, and to ride DEFENSIVELY!!! Think about it, it's your life at risk. Enjoy riding but be eagle-eyed and be ready for the crazies out there.

Cheers and good luck in the future!
Rogue likes this.

2014 Ninja 300SE - ABS - green/black 15T front 42T stock rear
---------------------------------------------------
2006 Honda CBR150R - still going strong after almost 10 years and 42,500 km!
---------------------------------------------------
Favorite bike of all time - 1975 Yamaha RD350... OMG What a pocket rocket it was!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page