Lightened Rotor and Wheels - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Garage
Lightened Rotor and Wheels

So we all know that unsprung rotational mass can account for huge losses in drive and handling. As such I am interested in changing out the wheels. I need to double check our rule book but I think I should be good if this will even work at all.

First off, there is a dude in Socal who offers a lightened stock rear rotor for the R3 but no one offers anything like it for the N300. I've taken some measurements of both rotors and it seems like they might be a direct swap. I am going to order one and will confirm this once I have it in hand. It is nearly a full pound lighter than the stock rotor. So updates will come on this.

Secondly, in the interest of swapping out parts from a different bike, I wanted to ask if anyone had weighed the wheels on the N300 vs. the wheels on the R3. If the R3 wheels are lighter, then it just becomes a spacing and axle diameter issue. This whole thing may not be worth whatever effort goes into it, but if the rear wheel is say a pound lighter then I would definitely look into it more.

MRA #144

Sponsors:
XL3 Rigging, Rider's Discount, Imperial Sportbikes, Un!nk Print works,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 02:45 PM
Seasoned Vet

Garage
I'ld be very interested to hear if the rotors fit as well. Please update this when you have the answers.
Unfortunately I can't help with any answers myself

amateur racer #128
race sponsor-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 07:39 PM
Seasoned Vet

Yup, interested in a rear rotor myself. Keep us posted.

The N300 wheels are freakin heavy turds. I'm kinda stuck with them if I want to get in the CCS supersport classes. I thought about milling off the balancing weight clip ridge since the rules don't say modifying stock wheels isn't allowed.

Zaph - Retired racer
My old CCS Ultralight Thunderbike [
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
]
Action shots [
] [
] [
]

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Garage
I imagine the stock wheels are cast and probably shouldn't be milled. I would be very wary of it anyway.
I ordered the rotor and it shipped today. He knows I'm kind of in a hurry for it, I might even have it before the weekend.
I am definitely going to do more research into the wheels.
Zaph, by our rules we aren't allowed to have aftermarket wheels on the production bikes but there are some exceptions made for some OEM parts from different models. I'm gonna talk to a few guys and reread that section in the rulebook. I am the tech guy for our club so I need to really make sure that I'm legit, haha. The R3 is a cheapo production bike also so I'm not sure those wheels will be much lighter. We'll see...
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 10:09 PM
Seasoned Vet

You need it for the weekend? Where? I'm racing at Road America this weekend. Come on over, hahah.

Big weekend over here. Besides CCS, we have AMA, ASRA and USGPRU classes. I'm racing in ULTB and 500SS.

Zaph - Retired racer
My old CCS Ultralight Thunderbike [
]
Action shots [
] [
] [
]
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Garage
No, I need it for the following weekend at HPR in Colorado but I want to allow some time in case I need to modify something. One of our guys is out there for the race. Good luck this weekend man, sorry I had to miss this one.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Garage
So bad news everyone...the R3 rotor doesn't fit. Boo It is pretty close, but the main issue is that the inner diameter is slightly larger and it doesn't seat on the wheel properly. Also, the mount holes don't line up by about 2 mm which isn't a huge deal and can be dealt with but is negated by the hub portion/inner diameter. You can see what I am talking about in the pictures.

So good news everyone... Today I had a friend look at both the stock N300 rotor and the cut R3 rotor, we took some measurements on both. We are going to attempt to write a program for his machines to cut the N300 rotors similar to the R3. It is going to cost a little chunk of money to get a prototype that I will test on my bike. If all works well and there aren't any problems, I plan on doing a small run of them. So we'll see.

Here is the cut rotor sitting on the N300 wheel. You can tell that the holes don't quite line up and you can see how the inner part of the rotor doesn't make contact with the wheel.

A little better detail of the rotor sitting on the wheel.

Here's a shot with the R3 cut rotor laid over the stock N300 rotor

Another non-issue is that the R3 brake pads are thicker from top to bottom so the N300 brake pad doesn't use the entire rotor. I don't think this is a problem at all because the pad still makes contact where it needs to but alas, it doesn't work anyway.

MRA #144

Sponsors:
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 05:02 PM

Curious. Won't braking performance suffer because of the decreased surface area for the pads to make contact with? Does the benefit of decreased un-sprung weight outweigh the cost of braking performance?
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Garage
The only time I ever use the rear brake is when I end up out in the weeds. If you use the rear brake as part of your function normally, the pressure needed to obtain the same stopping power will increase a bit. However in tests that have been done with the R3 cut rotor it has been reported that the extra lever effort is minimal. It will still lock the rear.

MRA #144

Sponsors:
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 05:17 PM

Gotcha. Thanks for explaining!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page