Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

Bar Ends for Track?

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  DarkNinja52 
#1 ·
Hi All,

Curious about bar ends on the track. I have the driven d-axis bar ends but they don't look like they would do too well if I happen to go down.

Are bar ends recommended for the track? are there a specific type I should look at? Most of them just look like farkles to me.

Should I just invest in lever guards or something?

Thanks guys. It'll be my first track day

#4 ·
Thanks! I've got the woodcraft ones but they don't fit my Driven clip ons for some reason, seems to be a few mm difference? Maybe I'm doing it wrong. I'm more concerned about going down than I am about bumping into other riders.

Just looking to be sure that if something happens I can just pick the bike back up and brush it off and keep riding , you know?

#6 ·
Like PM17 suggests, don't feel like you need to be on the track every second that your group is out there. I did that on my first day and while I am in good shape and it didnt really bother me, lots of people dumped it on the last session and most likely they were a little tired and not thinking straight. I was completely exhausted on the ride home though so if your riding to the track it's a good idea to think about that after lunch and decide if you should cut your sessions short or skip the last one.

#7 ·
Thanks Guys! PM17, you sir, have an invaluable wealth of knowledge that I wish implant into my mind.

The Woodcraft bar ends will not fit into the driven clipons. The rubber part will fit fine, however there is metal that should fit into the bar end as well, and it doesn't quite fit by maybe a few millimeters. Does anyone know if anyone has had success with the Woodcraft bar ends in driven clip ons?? I did a search but found nothing :(

Also PM17, since you mentioned all sorts of good stuff, something else came to mind that perhaps I can ask here though it may be slightly off topic? It relates to general track day info.

I'll be riding to the track with not much more than a backpack. What are the essentials I should bring with me? (Not just items related to getting back on the track after a get off). If i'm going to the track for the day, and only have one backpack, what needs to go in it to be sure that I make the most of my track day? Perhaps I should PM if you'd like or maybe just do some searches

#8 ·
C
Thanks!
As far as your bar ends you have a couple options. 1) take the bar and the bar end to a machinist and have him open the bore of the bar so the end will fit, just enough so the metal part fits in. you don't have to go any deeper. 2) take the bar end apart, take a different bolt and nut and put them through the the metal part and tighten it down. Now install the length of the bolt in a drill. (basically your making a mini lathe) have a friend hold the drill and spin it while you take some emery cloth and reduce the size until it fits...
Ok now on to your track day. Backpack... Water... Some TDO's bring water for the riders, it will be good to check. Blue tape for your lights, Some TDO's require that light is not seen esp. your brake light so you might want to bring some black duct tape to put over the blue. Tire pressure gauge, What you ride on the street is not what you ride on the track, and since you are riding there, you tires will be warm so you can't do a cold pressure start out. So when you get there set them to -1 lb to where you want them to be. Then right after you get off the track check them when they are hot... do this though out the day, when you check them hot, they should be where you want them to be... I don't know what tires you are running, I run Alpha's and run a 30/28 as a start. In general terms you could probably run 30/30 and work from there. It really depends on the track/temp, how hard your pushing etc. Just pay attention to your bike.
If you can find one of those 3 leg sideline chairs that will allow you to relax better between sessions.
Maybe some flipflops or chucks... Your feet may need a breather from being in the boots.
A hat.
Even if the track has food... Stay away... Stop at subway on the way, pick up a footlong ask them to wrap it in two pieces. Do not get tuna or any mayo on it. Pick up 3 cookies for your sugar pick me up. Also at the store before hand pick up some fritos (I like the chili cheese) the salt in them will also help. Gatorade if you like.
Before you get there make sure you have arrangements in place if you can not make it home, As in a friend with a pickup who is willing to come get your butt.
When you get there. The very first thing you do is let the TDO management know you are solo and you rode out there. You emergency contact and you friend who will come and get your bike, MUST not be the same person. Because one maybe at the hospital and the other picking up your bike before the gate closes.
These are all just "Just in case measures" but it sure the hell makes it easier on everyone involved.
Cash $100 and a credit card. You will need to buy fuel at some point so you might need a card for that at the track. Cash, In case you have to buy a part or something from someone.
When you get there, be social, get to know people, You never know, there might be someone from your area that you can do more trackdays with and maybe not ride out by yourself.
If you have any more ? just PM me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.