Increase of spam-y posts / users this month? - Page 3 - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 03:06 PM
Forum Champion

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaph View Post
I respect that you guys are trying to help, but the solution has to come from administration with some coding changes and wide range ip bans.
Oh, I completely agree. And, believe me, we've asked.

It's a girl on a bike...it's Rogue!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Twitter: @Rogue_300
Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Instagram: Rogue_300

Do you rock it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 05:43 PM
Forum Champion

Thanked 1,648 Times in 1,038 Posts
Garage
What I don't understand is why this particular forum? There are is a large selection of other forums within this family of forums yet it's ours that's been targeted.

2016 Yamaha WR250R (Team Yamaha Blue)
2007 Yamaha R1 (Team Yamaha Blue)
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 07:23 PM
Seasoned Vet

Garage
I don't believe it's actually happening, not after we were forced to make complex passwords ...

Q. Why do I ride?
A. Because I've never seen anyone jogging and smiling.

2012 Ninja 650
2011 ZX6R

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 01:28 PM
Seasoned Vet

Adding spam mods kinda helped at R3 forum, but eventually admins had to ban spammer IPs and then poof no more spam so far. Same forum owners I think, not sure why admin'd separately.
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 01:28 PM
Your Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum Admin

Garage
We'll take another look into beefing up anti-Spam measures. Maybe something new could be added.

To address 2 things said here, this isn't the only site targeted by spammers, though we are getting hit harder then most. Also IP blocks don't work to well anymore. It helps slow down Spammers but doesn't stop them, as using a rotating IP and proxy servers is easy solution for them to try.

Kevin

post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 02:10 PM
UAV
Veteran

Is it anything more complicated than beefing up the Human Verification tool? The current SolveMedia version seems rather easy to spoof.

Zaph's seems like a good idea:

Quote:
This is getting worse.

I would like to offer a tip to administration on a registration method that really limits spam bots.

First off, human verification with "captcha" style graphics does not work. I have some friends who run a popular motorcycle site and spam bots have been thwarted by asking a question at registration that requires thinking and background knowledge. The question is "who makes the Panigali?" The field requires a correct answer to continue. It worked. There are plenty of questions that could be asked that only this demographic is going to know. Just an idea.
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 10:52 AM
Your Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum Admin

Garage
Solve Media is still (last I heard) a hard stop against bots registering for the site. The most recent tactic of spam "companies" is having an actual human on hand to get past the hurdle. The bot gets stopped, they finish up the registration, then turn it back to the bot who does the posting. Currently there is no way to fully stop this tactic, only make it as difficult as possible, and make the rewards as little as possible as this tactic is much more expensive for the spammer. Typically, once a site gets wise and clamps down, they move on to a less wary target.

I'm seeing a significant drop in spam since we added the new restrictions, and what has gotten through Rouge has slammed back down.

Kevin
Rogue likes this.

post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 11:10 AM
Forum Champion

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
Solve Media is still (last I heard) a hard stop against bots registering for the site. The most recent tactic of spam "companies" is having an actual human on hand to get past the hurdle. The bot gets stopped, they finish up the registration, then turn it back to the bot who does the posting. Currently there is no way to fully stop this tactic, only make it as difficult as possible, and make the rewards as little as possible as this tactic is much more expensive for the spammer. Typically, once a site gets wise and clamps down, they move on to a less wary target.

I'm seeing a significant drop in spam since we added the new restrictions, and what has gotten through Rouge has slammed back down.

Kevin
I check several times a day for spam and squash any new posts. It's usually cyclic and we get hit a lot harder on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday than other days of the week.

Blog:

Do you rock it?

post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 08:01 PM
Seasoned Vet

I've noticed an improvement lately, thanks.

I recently signed up on another unrelated forum and saw this note when I posted an image and a link. The cool thing was that my post was then inspected by a moderator and was allowed after they checked it out. That's got to stop spambots dead.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg permission.jpg (17.2 KB, 14 views)

Zaph - Retired racer
My old CCS Ultralight Thunderbike [
]
Action shots [
] [
] [
]
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 08:23 PM
Forum Champion

Garage
Quote:
I've noticed an improvement lately, thanks.

I recently signed up on another unrelated forum and saw this note when I posted an image and a link. The cool thing was that my post was then inspected by a moderator and was allowed after they checked it out. That's got to stop spambots dead.
Yep, I'm cleaning up a lot less after implementing that. In fact, I haven't had to clean up any in a couple of days. It's been rather pleasant, actually.
Administrator likes this.

Blog:

Do you rock it?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page