"How To" Embed Pictures - Page 2 - Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 05:54 AM Thread Starter
Forum Champion

Send a message via AIM to Muilisx
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfkrocks View Post
Nope, I'm lazy

I'll use photobucket or tumblr if I really need to post pics for viewing elsewhere though.
It`s the same thing, they`re all the same pretty much. I used post image for the guide because it`s the quickest, non account hosting site that I`ve used. It`s literally 3 clicks for a link. Not sure how the thread got turned into a recommend a photo hosting site thread, lol.

©•Muilisx•©

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Muilisx; 09-27-2013 at 06:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,082 Times in 1,355 Posts
Garage
As for resizing, it takes time for the site to resize your ginormous, HD-quality, high-rez pictures. So, be sure your pictures are already resized before you upload them—say, 1600 across but no more than that (as a rough guide). Any more than that and the picture will be bigger than the horizontal resolution of most monitors. That's the guideline I use, anyway.

Spacep0d's
!

2013 Triumph Daytona 675R
Austin Racing V3 Titanium exhaust (baffled), professionally-shaved seat, T-Rex sliders, Pazzo shorty levers, Tech Spec tank grips, tail tidy, Watsen marker lights. Only 23 lbs. heavier than the 300!

Get your ZX-3R decals
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Forum Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacep0d View Post
As for resizing, it takes time for the site to resize your ginormous, HD-quality, high-rez pictures. So, be sure your pictures are already resized before you upload them—say, 1600 across but no more than that (as a rough guide). Any more than that and the picture will be bigger than the horizontal resolution of most monitors. That's the guideline I use, anyway.

I`ve never resized a uploaded picture with Post Image. I take the pictures right from my phone with the USB cable or I email them to myself from my phone and upload them as is to Post Image. My phone is set for the highest quality pictures, and I never had to resize them before or after uploading.

Now, I guess if you have one if those 14MP cameras or something then yes, it may be way too big, but most pictures from Iphones and Androids don`t need to be resized.

©•Muilisx•©

post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,082 Times in 1,355 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muilisx View Post
I`ve never resized a uploaded picture with Post Image. I take the pictures right from my phone with the USB cable or I email them to myself from my phone and upload them as is to Post Image. My phone is set for the highest quality pictures, and I never had to resize them before or after uploading.

Now, I guess if you have one if those 14MP cameras or something then yes, it may be way too big, but most pictures from Iphones and Androids don`t need to be resized.
Yeah, most HD pics from the iPhone are way too much resolution. If you're using the non-HD setting, you should be fine. Otherwise you're just wasting server space and bandwidth. This is probably why some people upload ginormous pictures which still have to be downloaded before they're resized by the server (wasteful and slow) or worse, they're not resized by the server and end up making a thread super wide and messing up its aspect-ratio.

The other reason to resize on your own is so you can control the final-result, or at least get more control over it and create a lot smaller file-size. Pictures will appear faster with small file-sizes than with ginormous pictures which require a resize to be web-viable. It's objectively better to upload a pic that's 150k (saved for web) than one that's 2MB, for all kinds of reasons.

I usually resize and crop my pics in Photoshop my pics before I upload them anywhere (Save For Web option). I recommend resizing and cropping for anyone, and it's a good habit to get in to anyway for savvy web-users and picture-takers who upload. Plus, you can massage brightness/contrast and all that stuff and it doesn't have to be Photoshop...any decent photo-editor will do.

Spacep0d's
!

2013 Triumph Daytona 675R
Austin Racing V3 Titanium exhaust (baffled), professionally-shaved seat, T-Rex sliders, Pazzo shorty levers, Tech Spec tank grips, tail tidy, Watsen marker lights. Only 23 lbs. heavier than the 300!

Get your ZX-3R decals

Last edited by Spacep0d; 09-27-2013 at 01:26 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Spacep0d For This Useful Post:
Muilisx (09-28-2013)
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 11:20 PM

I do want to warn people about uploading original pictures taken with a phone. Since most of us have smartphones, and our smartphones have GPS, many phones will record the location where a photo was taken in the Exif data. Some point-and-shoot cameras that have a GPS may do this too. So if you upload the original picture online, people may be able to see where the picture was taken whether it was at home, work, school, etc.

Now I think most phones and cameras will let you turn that "feature" off. The only downside I can think of is that you can't sort your photos according to location if your image organizer or image viewer allows for that since there won't be any location data to work with. Also, if you decide to turn it off, do know that your older photos (taken before you changed the setting to off) may still have location data in it. You may want to check that.

If you want to leave the feature on, but don't want strangers showing up at your house whenever you upload photos, there's hope. You can use a metadata removal tool to get rid of all the Exif data. Which one? Sorry, I can't help you there. Since I leave location data out of my photos to begin with, I have no use for the software so I wouldn't be able to recommend one.

It's okay though, because there's an easier way: Certain sites will automatically strip the Exif data out of the photo when you upload it. I know imgur does this for privacy. I believe Facebook does it also. I don't know about any other sites because I haven't tested them or haven't looked it up. This is also useful if you're trying to directly upload from your phone and don't have access to a desktop to use metadata removal software.

Also if you want to see the Exif data yourself:

Windows 7/8 -
1) Right click on the file.
2) Click properties.
3) Click on the "Details" tab, then scroll down to see all of the metadata recorded.

OS X (10.7) -
1) Open the image in the Preview application.
2) Click on the "Tools" menu and select "Show Inspector."
3) Click on the "More Info" tab (second tab from left, a picture of the letter "i" in a circle).
4) Choose the Exif or GPS subtab to see Exif or GPS data.

Where I got the OS X instructions from:
http://www.question-defense.com/2012...iew-on-mac-osx

I don't have a Mac so hopefully the instructions still apply to 10.8 (Mountain Lion).
The Following User Says Thank You to MotorradAdventure For This Useful Post:
DL_Unlimited (09-30-2013)
post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 02:58 PM
Veteran

How about disabling the upload feature until it's fixed? Or add a warning or something. People assume (and rightly so) that features that are available are working.

Seems a bit bleh that Muilisx has to link this thread every time people upload a picture, not knowing they did something wrong when using a kawasakininja300.com forum feature.
post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 03:01 PM
Veteran

Garage
Lol @ thread, well done Muilisx! Can ride a motorcycle, but can't embed photos on a forum!

2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300 Special Edition - Kawi Green (Summer Ride)
Mods: TYGA Performance "Maggot" slip-on exhaust, K&N Air Filter (KN-2508), K&N Oil Filter (KN-303), 7clicks adjustable standard levers, SSR emissions block-off plate, Vortex swingarm spools, 15T/43T sprockets w/ 108 D.I.D. chain.
2001 Lexus IS300 - Solar Yellow (Winter Ride)

*WANT TO DO YOUR OWN OIL CHANGES?
OUT*
post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Forum Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisGuy View Post
Lol @ thread, well done Muilisx! Can ride a motorcycle, but can't embed photos on a forum!
Lol

©•Muilisx•©

post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 09:12 PM
Veteran

My 1st embed!

Is that normal to have to click it to see it? I thought pic would be there. I'm not computer savvy ............but I know how to ride a motorcycle!

Last edited by jeff; 10-09-2013 at 10:30 PM.
post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,847 Times in 1,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yo-yo View Post
http://s22.postimg.org/i4p7p9t35/20130911_181808.jpg
My 1st embed!

Is that normal to have to click it to see it? I thought pic would be there. I'm not computer savvy ............but I know how to ride a motorcycle!
No I think you may have used the incorrect correct link. There are usually a few options that pop up that you can copy a link for, I just try each link until I find the one that makes the pic appear. As soon as you paste your link, a pic should show in the forum page........if its the correct link of course.

EDIT: Link is correct, but you need to click on "insert image" in the toolbar when you are typing, and paste the link in to the box that appears.

Last edited by jeff; 10-09-2013 at 10:35 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page